"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

The material your pie pan is made of can make a difference. I find glass pie pans work great.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #12
Everymom

Suzi, before you put the filling into the bottom shell, spread a couple tablespoons of flour on the bottom to absorb any extra liquid from your apples. Then cook as normal. I like the cooking on the bottom rack idea too. That will help. Good luck!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Refrigerate your pie shell for 20-30 minutes before filling it. Use a glass pie pan. Be sure your apples are dry before adding the flour, sugar and spices. To do this, I use a clean dish towel or a wad of paperr towels and stir it around in the bowl of apples with my hand. Let the seasoned apples sit for 15 or 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, before filling the pie. Leave out any juices that have accumulated in the bottom of the apple bowl.

Preheat oven to 400 or 425. Bake at this temperature for 10-15 minutes, then reduce to 350 or 375.

Also, the pie crust recipe makes a difference. Some hold up better than others. My favorite in the Never-Fail Pie Crust (recipe follows).

Never Fail Pie Crust

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
5 tablespoons water

Whisk together the flour and salt. Blend in shortening until texture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix together egg, vinegar, and water. Pour all at once into flour mixture, and mix together until evenly moist. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap or waxed paper and refrigerate for 20 or 30 minutes. Roll dough out on a floured pastry board or between two sheets of wax paper; no extra flour is needed to roll out dough if wax paper is used.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #14
Master Chef

Bake the pie on the bottom shelf of your oven and start it off at 425 for 25-20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Cooking the bottom crust a little always works for me as well. I saw someone mention draining the excess juice from the apples before baking, I have never seen this before and I wouldnt recomend it. All that juice is flavor you'll be losing if you drain it off. Alton Brown drains it off, but adds it back into the apples before he bakes. I'll have to try baking it on the oven floor one of these days. Might save me some time.

Tags
None