Apple Streusel Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
We don't eat sweets very often, but today I decided to bake an apple pie. This is only my second pie to ever bake and I was very pleased with the results. Here is the recipe.
Hopefully the pictures come through.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
2 T. cold milk
1 1/2 t. white sugar
1 t. salt
3 granny smith apples, 2 fugi apples, 1 macintosh apple, peeled and sliced
1 lemon
3/4 cup white sugar
3 T. all-purpose flour
3/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4-1/2 cup cold cubed butter

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350

2. To make crust: In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, oil, milk, 1 1/2 t. sugar and salt until evenly blended. Pat mixture into a 9 inch pie pan, spreading the dough evenly over the bottom and up sides. You may need to use your knuckles. Crimp edges of the dough around perimeter.

3. To make Filling: slice apples and put in bowl and toss with a little lemon juice to keep from turning brown. In another bowl blend 3/4 cup sugar, 3 T. flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Sprinkle over apples and toss to coat. Spread evenly un unbaked pie shell.

4. To make topping: Using a pastry cutter or fork mix together 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup butter until crumbly. Add some extra slices of butter until you have soft crumbles. Distribute over apples.

5. Put pie in oven on cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour.

Last edited:
Trying to figure out how to post the picture. Will have an update later.

Last edited:
OK, I think I finally figured it out. I originally saved it at too large a size. Here are the pictures that was suppose to be on the original post.

applestreuselpieresized6cz.jpg

applestreuselpie2resize8xx.jpg

Crumb Top Apple Pie

This is my husband's favorite pie! I always make one for Thanksgiving and another for Christmas.
I like zap my apple/flour/sugar mixture in the microwave until the apples are partially cooked, as we like them softer.

There have been times that I was lazy or in a hurry, and used canned apple pie filling. I've found that a little lemon juice and a bit of fresh lemon zest really perk it up, just as a bit of almond extract does the cherry pie filling.

Back
Top Bottom