Baked pie crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marlene2

Cook
Hi, I had a bit of pastry left and decided to bake it for a single crust pie. I am going to make a lemon pie tomorrow and wondered if the crust will be too soggy by then and should I put something on the top of the crust to keep the filling from soaking in too much.
Thanks

If you are going to make a lemon pie tomorrow, why do you have filling in it today? I'm confused. Are you asking two separate questions?

If you're talking about just the pie crust - without anything in it, no, it should not be too soggy simply letting it rest over night. Actually, it may get too dry. You can either put it in a plastic bag and then in the freezer, or leave it out with a slightly damp dish towel draped over it. Near the time you want to begin baking, you could remove the towel and test the texture of the crust a few hours before hand. If it seems too soft, let it set an hour or two without the towel. It will air-dry.

There's an old time trick to keep cream pies from making the bottom crust too soggy. Pre-bake the shell for about 15 minutes. After it cools brush the empty pie shell with a thin layer of egg white and then bake again for just a few minutes in order to set the white. The egg white layer will prevent the cream filling from soaking through to the crust.

Sorry if that was confusing to you. I had baked the single pie crust and wasn't going to make the pie filling until the next day. That is why I wanted to know if my pie crust would be okay sitting on the cupboard or in the fridge overnight. Your second reply anwered my question. Thank you.

Its very common to bake the pie crust without the filling. What you can to is put a simple egg wash over the whole pie crust, not just the outer crust. when you do that first blind bake.(baking without filling) this will make a little force field that the lemon filling will not seep into and make soggy. Hope all turns out well, i just love lemon !

MichaelTV

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom