banana toffee pie
. Crust -3/4 cup almonds, whole toasted. 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup all-purpose flour. 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar,1 teaspoon lemon peel grated,1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground.1/2 teaspoon cloves,1/2 cup butter, unsalted,1 large egg. drops banana essence(if you can get it) 3/4 cup sugar, golden brown (packed).1/2 cup butter,unsalted.1/4 cup whipping cream,1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract,3 large bananas, peeled, sliced.
For the crust;
1. Finely grind almonds in the food processor. Add flour, sugar, lemon peel, cinnamon and cloves and process briefly to combine. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Beat egg and banana essence together in a small bowl to. Gradually add enough egg mixture to form moist clumps. Gather dough into a ball; flatten to disk. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate 2 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 13-inch round. Transfer to 10-inch-diameter tart pan. Trim to fit. Freeze crust 15 minutes.
3. Line pie crust with aluminum foil and blindbake for 15 minutes (put some weight on the crust,eg,beans). Remove foil and beans and bake until crust is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer pan to rack and cool completely.
1. Stir brown sugar, butter and 1/4 cup whipping cream in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves and butter melts. Continue cooking until mixture is thick, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes
2. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir vanilla extract into toffee mixture.
3.Toss bananas with banana essence in a medium bowl. Arrange bananas in a single layer over the crust. Pour warm toffee mixture over bananas. Refrigerate pie until cool, about hour. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead).
4. Cover and keep refrigerated.
5. Serve pie with whipped cream. Serves 10.
Don't let love interfere with your appetite. It never does with mine.