Best Cherry-red Raspberry Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anne

Senior Cook
BEST CHERRY-RED RASPBERRY PIE

This recipe has been in our family since my grandmother's days. It still is one of my favorite pies, summer or winter.

Makes one 2-crust pie.

CRUST:

2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 sticks cold, unsalted butter
1/4 - 1/2 cup ice water

In food processor, place flour, salt and sugar. Add butter, and pulse for 8 - 10 times, until butter is the size of peas. Keep the machine running, and add ice water in a thin stream, just until
dough sticks together.

Divide dough into two equal discs, flatten, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Roll out into two crusts.

FILLING:

1 - 10 oz. package frozen raspberries
2 cups canned, pitted sour cherries, reserving juice
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
Sugar (for top of crust)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350F.

Bring the cherries to room temperature. Pour out 1 cup of the cherry juice, and reserve it. Drain off the remainder of the juice.

Mix together sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium-sized pan. Add juice, and stir until combined. Add cherries, and cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring until clear and thick. Continue cooking for one minute more. Removing the pan from the heat, stir in the butter until melted; then fold the raspberries into the sauce carefully so that the fruit is not bruised.

Pour the fruit mixture into the bottom pie shell, and place the second pie shell over the top. Seal the edges and crimp. Sprinkle granulated sugar over the top. With a knife, cut vents into the crust; then bake in the oven for 45 minutes.

NOTE: For extra raves, serve warm with ice cream.

Last edited:
You're welcome, KayLinda. Some of the oldest recipes are the best, I guess. Is that your restaurant in the picture? I've only been in Kansas four times, when I was passing through on my way across the country. The people are so friendly that I thought it must be a nice place to live.

Anne, that sounds superb! :chef:

Does the filling fill a deep dish 9-inch pie pan (like Pyrex)? or is it better to just use one of those old-fashioned thin pans?

When I read your pie recipe, it sounded so familiar!

I have fallen in love with
PHYLLIS BARTHOLOMEW'S "BEST OF SHOW" CHERRY RED-RASPBERRY PIE which was selected as America's Best Pie at the National Pie Championships a few years ago. I saw a show about it on the Food Network.

Other than the crust, yours and hers are the same. Are you sisters or cousins or something? Cool!!

Also, you forgot to include directions for what to do with the butter. I add it to the sugar, cornstarch and salt and melt it.

Jennyma, I am so embarrassed I could cry. I checked and double-checked this recipe after I read your note, and you're right. This recipe was in a stack of my grandma's recipes, and I always assumed it was hers. However, the wording is exactly the same as Phyllis' pie, and I think that's way too much of a coincidence. I'm going to ask the administrator to delete the recipe. I know people steal recipes all the time, but I'm not one of them. I feel like a thief. The recipe came to me through my aunt, who had so many of my grandma's recipes, so I had no way of knowing. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

As for the butter, I add it to the saucepan just before I add the raspberries.

I'm still thinking. You don't suppose Phyllis got the same recipe, do you? I'm going to write to my aunt and see what she says. I know that my grandma served this to her little club of six women when they met at her house. This is strange.... Anyway, I'll contact an administrator, and thanks again.

Last edited:
I think you should leave it up, as the crust part of it is very different. Made differently and uses different ingredients (ie the contest recipe uses Crisco 'cause that's the sponsor of the contest).

And don't be embarassed. Most of us haveor have had grandmas/moms with piles of recipes to confuse and delight us.

It's quite possible that the recipe came from some other source, too, like a magazine or something long ago with Phyllis changing the recipe for the contest.

SEVERAL DAYS LATER:

I've learned that this recipe has quite a history with my grandmother. It won her a blue ribbon at the Summit County Fair and went on to win another at the Ohio State Fair. It has been published in a number of small cookbooks throughout the years. In the interim, while waiting to hear from my aunt, I decided to be on the safe side and contacted the chairman of the National Pie Board. I have received written permission to post the recipe here. Thanks to all of you for your kind remarks about the pie recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :chef:

Anne said:
Jennyma, I am so embarrassed I could cry. I checked and double-checked this recipe after I read your note, and you're right. This recipe was in a stack of my grandma's recipes, and I always assumed it was hers. However, the wording is exactly the same as Phyllis' pie, and I think that's way too much of a coincidence. I'm going to ask the administrator to delete the recipe. I know people steal recipes all the time, but I'm not one of them. I feel like a thief. The recipe came to me through my aunt, who had so many of my grandma's recipes, so I had no way of knowing. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

As for the butter, I add it to the saucepan just before I add the raspberries.

I'm still thinking. You don't suppose Phyllis got the same recipe, do you? I'm going to write to my aunt and see what she says. I know that my grandma served this to her little club of six women when they met at her house. This is strange.... Anyway, I'll contact an administrator, and thanks again.

My goodness! You are one honest little recipe user, Anne!

Please don't cry:cry: because you'll make us all sad.

You know? I think there are very, very few original recipes ... people take a recipe and tweak it just a bit and make it their own. And even when you don't tweak it, do you really think it's THAT awful for you to call the yummy pie your Auntie Mabel made "Auntie Mabel's yummy pie" rather than "that pie from the Betty Crocker cookbook that Auntie Mabel made"?

Me, I don't. It just makes sense that the yummy-sounding pie recipe you posted seems to you to be your grandma's, and that's good enough for me. I get your point and I admire you for it, but give yourself a break!

I only wish I could get ahold of raspberries to try it!!!!

Anne, who knows? she may have got it from YOUR GRANDMOTHER! There are so many recipes it would be impossible to check all of them back to their roots. Even the tv cooks and chefs may have just put a twist on someone else's recipes to make it their own. Even with cuisine changing every day, the entire thought probably wasn't original with the presenter, even if they don't know how the idea hit them. I've seen many dishes prepared by others that I thought I was the only one who made it, only to find out the same idea occurred to them also. Someone has a Carl Sagan quote that to me describes much of creative thought. I can't remember exactly how it goes, but I'm sure you will recognize it when you see it.

Ayrton and Licia, thank you for your posts. I think, if Phyllis Bartholomew didn't get this recipe in another way, she could have gotten it, indirectly, from my grandmother and perhaps not even have known it. Like you said, every recipe originates somewhere, and my grandmother's recipe was published in almost the same words. Oh well, it's overwith. Nothing like finding out in your first week here that you might have used a copyrighted recipe, though! Thanks to both of you for the support. I really appreciate it. :wub: <-------- Awww,
isn't he cute?! :chef:

Anne

Your Cherry-red Raspberry Pie sound wonderful and as I mentioned to you before you a wonderful cook. I have made cherry pie before but never tried it with red raspberries.

You have a great day.

Back
Top Bottom