"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-05-2014, 11:45 PM   #11
Master Chef

I have various size pie dishes, so I usually line the dish with plastic wrap and pour in the berries to measure. Add more to allow for the piling-high-and-cooking-down results.

I taste every fruit before I add any sugar. I probably use no more than 3/4 cup sugar for a 9-inch blueberry pie. The last apple pie I made (actually, it was a galette) got just a sprinkling of sugar over the top of the apples before I folded the dough over the edge. Those apples were sweet all on their own.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I think we all are in agreement. We want to take the fruit, not the sugar. But at the same time we don't want bitter either.

For me, I do not like a runny pie.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #13
Everymom

I have been experimenting with blueberry pie. Some folks like the filling to be somewhat cooked and gelled and some not so much. I've sort of split the difference and maybe that will help you out Andy. I take a couple cups of berries, toss in a bit of sugar (1/2 cup) and a GENEROUS splash of lemon juice and put it in a pot. I use my potato masher and give them a little squish to get the juices going. I cook this for a bit til the berries start to break down, then I add a cornstarch slurry to thicken it a bit. Once it starts to thicken I turn off the heat and keep stirring. Then I add another couple cups of raw, cleaned berries and stir them into the mixture. As this is cooling I roll out my pastry and get it ready. Pour the filling into the pie shell and top with the other half. Bake for about 35-45 minutes, brush the top of the pie with some milk and finish it for 5-10, then out it comes.

The amount are based on my deep dish pie pan, so I'd say I use around 6-7 cups of berries. I have been known to add a bit more sugar depending on who was going to be eating the pie. I like my pie less sweet and Ken, more sweet.

Does that help at all?
Old 11-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Yes, Alix. It does. Several of the recipes I viewed used a similar process.

I was just surprised at wide variance in the berry to sugar ratio.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #15
Everymom

I think some folks like syrup in their pies.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #16
Master Chef

How do you make your pie shell/pastry?

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 11-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I like my filling not jelled but not runny either, I hate it when you take out a slice of pie and the filling runs into the empty spot. I also really don't like the filling too tight, I want it to melt in your mouth but come out of the pan in a clean slice. In other words "perfect"

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #18
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
How do you make your pie shell/pastry?

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
2/3 cup lard
2 cups flour
4 tbsps ice water
1 tbsp vinegar

Blend cold lard into flour with pastry blender or knives, cut til pieces are smaller than pea sized. Add water and vinegar and use hands to form dough. Split into two pieces and shape into discs. Roll out into pie shells. This makes one good sized deep dish pie.

TIP: Since you're using your hands to incorporate the dough, cool off your hands in cold water first. The heat from your hands melts the lard and can result in less flaky dough.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #19
Master Chef

Ok, I used this recipe and made my first-ever, really great blueberry pie, several years back. I got it from the side of the tapioca-flour box. I wrote down the ingredients for future use as I used my own pie-crust recipe and technique.

This makes a blueberry pie from fresh, wild Michigan blueberries, and has an intense blueberry flavor. It is firm, but tender, not rubbery from too much starch. The crust is very flaky and tender. I share it with you.

The Chief’s Blueberry Pie:
Filling Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups packed sugar
5 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
6 cups fresh, wild, Michigan Blueberries (or wild berries from somewhere else if you must). If you’re desperate, use 3, ten ounce packages frozen Blueberries, not thawed. Note, they will be tart.
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water

Hardware (Can you tell I’m a guy?)
9 inch deep-dish pie plate
Pastry Cutter
With 6 cups of filling, this is a well-filled Pie!

Pie Crust:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chilled lard
1 ˝ tsp salt
5 to 7 tablespoons ice water

Using a pastry cutter, cut the lard into the flour/salt until the dough resembles pea-gravel. Sprinkle the water over the dough and fold together just until everything holds together. Over-mixing will result in a tough crust.

How to make it:
Place a large 9 X 10 parchment paper-lined cookie sheet on the middle oven rack. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Combine the sugar and tapioca. Add the blueberries, and lemon juice. Fold until the berries are evenly coated.

If your home temperature is above 75’ F, chill the pie dough, and place a bag of ice you’re your work surface (where you’ll be rolling out the dough). Liberally sprinkle the flour over your working surface. Divide the dough into two equal sections. Squish the dough between your hands to make a round disk. Place it onto your work surface and dust with flour. Roll ˝ of the pie dough into a 12 inch circle, always rolling from the center of the circle outward in every direction. Roll larger than 12 inches as the edges will be somewhat ragged, at least mine are. Place your pie pan upside down on the dough. Use a sharp knife to cut a smooth circle 3 inches larger than the pan edge. This will help prevent the dough from tearing when you move it to the pie pan. Slide a frosting spatula under the crust to loosen it from the table. Fold the dough in half, then in halve again to make a triangle. Place the dough into the pan so that when unfolded, it fills the pan. Gently press the dough into the pan.

Roll out the 2nd dough ball as you did with the first. Fill the pie with the berry mixture. Fold the dough, lay on top, and unfold the dough. Carefully fold the overlapping edges behind the sides of the bottom crust and between the pie pan and the bottom crust. Pinch the edges all the way around, and flute. With a sharp paring knife, carefully cut three small vent holes into the top crust.

Brush with egg wash, or milk. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and cinnamon.
Bake pie on hot baking sheet in oven 30 minutes, cover edge with a pie shield or foil to Keep the edges golden brown.
Reduce your oven temperature to 375°F and bake until crust is golden. The filling will be bubbling in the vent holes. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes more.
Cool pie completely on a rack to set the filling.

Hint: If you like a firmer filling, add another tbs. of tapioca flour.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I like my filling not jelled but not runny either, I hate it when you take out a slice of pie and the filling runs into the empty spot. I also really don't like the filling too tight, I want it to melt in your mouth but come out of the pan in a clean slice. In other words "perfect"
Yeah, I want my piece of pie to come out of that tin like it does in the diner's pie chest. It leaves a very defined empty space where the piece was removed. I want to see the shiny bottom of the pie plate. Like a Table Talk pie.

Tags
pie