Blueberry Pie?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I want my piece of pie to come out of that tin like it does in the diner's pie chest. It leaves a very defined empty space where the piece was removed. I want to see the shiny bottom of the pie plate. Like a Table Talk pie. :angel:

That's what the recipe I gave you gives you, especially with the extra tbs. of tapioca flour. Try it. If it doesn't work, I'll make one and force myself to eat it slowly, you know, to prolong the agony. I'll force DW to share it with me, too.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

If I remember, I put my marble "pastry" board in the freezer the night before to chill it. In the winter, I just put it outside on the deck. Best $20 I ever spent at an auction was to buy a lot of marble that we then cut to be pastry boards. I have given several away as gifts (and kept the one that prompted me to bid on the lot for myself).

If I remember, I put my marble "pastry" board in the freezer the night before to chill it. In the winter, I just put it outside on the deck. Best $20 I ever spent at an auction was to buy a lot of marble that we then cut to be pastry boards. I have given several away as gifts (and kept the one that prompted me to bid on the lot for myself).

I would think that a chilled, marble pastry board would have problems with condensation. Do you have to wipe it off before dusting it with flour?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, are wild Michigan blueberries, the small intensely flavored ones or like the large cultivated ones?

I'm really partial to wild blueberries like the ones that I grew up with in Maine.

I think that's unnecessary. A former neighbor of mine had a piece of marble placed in her tile counter top for use in baking. The stone is naturally cool: it doesn't have to be frozen. It worked just fine in our temperate climate, as does my granite counter.

Chief, are wild Michigan blueberries, the small intensely flavored ones or like the large cultivated ones?

I'm really partial to wild blueberries like the ones that I grew up with in Maine.

They are intense, sweet, and small. They ripen about the first week of August.
One of life's great pleasures is to take a double handful of berries, fresh from the bush, and stuff all of them into your mouth, chew, and experience a blueberry flavor explosion in your mouth. This is intensely satisfying and has become part of the wild blueberry picking tradition in our family. Watching my granddaughters pick and eat wild blueberries is a thing of beauty and wonder.

We always seem to find some Sascatoon (Sarvice) berries, and choke cherries to enjoy as well. Such good times. Now, I just need to teach them to catch brookies.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

They are intense, sweet, and small. They ripen about the first week of August.
One of life's great pleasures is to take a double handful of berries, fresh from the bush, and stuff all of them into your mouth, chew, and experience a blueberry flavor explosion in your mouth. This is intensely satisfying and has become part of the wild blueberry picking tradition in our family. Watching my granddaughters pick and eat wild blueberries is a thing of beauty and wonder.

We always seem to find some Sascatoon (Sarvice) berries, and choke cherries to enjoy as well. Such good times. Now, I just need to teach them to catch brookies.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We used to go camping on the coast of Maine when I was a child. I would take a little bowl and pick wild blueberries from the low to the ground bushes on the craggy hill. My mom would make blueberry pancakes with them.

We used to go camping on the coast of Maine when I was a child. I would take a little bowl and pick wild blueberries from the low to the ground bushes on the craggy hill. My mom would make blueberry pancakes with them.

Like you, I have memories of those bushes by the roadside and picking and eating. When you first start, you eat more than you toss into your container. When we lived on the farm, just down the road from us were a patch of bushes hidden by the tall wild grasses. Every time I see a box of blueberries in the supermarket, they look so tempting, but I know they don't have that blueberry flavor that I remember as a kid. :angel:

I would think that a chilled, marble pastry board would have problems with condensation. Do you have to wipe it off before dusting it with flour?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Yes, I do have to wipe it off. S/one suggested wrapping it in a muslin pillow case before putting it in the freezer, but I always forget to do that. I don't make pastry often, but the marble slab was specifically for pastry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom