"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Blueberry Pie?????

I was perusing the internet for blueberry pie recipes. They mostly seem fairly simple.

However, the quantities for sugar and berries are all over the place!!!

For a 9" pie pan, sugar quantities range from 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup. Blueberry quantities range from 3 cups to 8 cups!

The ratios of the two ingredients are also all over the place, from super sweet - 3/4 C sugar for 3 cups of berries, to 1/2 C of sugar for 8 C of berries.

Most have lemon and some have cinnamon.

OH, forgot to mention, one recipe uses a cup of maple syrup to sweeten 7 cups of berries.

What the heck is going on???

Old 11-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Sous Chef

One of the issues with fresh fruit is that is can be very sweet or on the tart side. I think you have to taste your fruit and judge from there. I always start with a smaller amount of sweetener and add until I like it.

That, and there's no accounting for the extreme sweet tooth of some of the recipe authors!

Lemon and cinnamon are both very common in blueberry pie.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
...and there's no accounting for the extreme sweet tooth of some of the recipe authors!

Lemon and cinnamon are both very common in blueberry pie.

Thanks.

I know from experience that lemon really makes the flavor of the berries pop. I hadn't heard of the cinnamon.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

We usually use 4-5 c blueberries (but, this does depend on the size of the blueberries and the depth of the pie dish). 1/2 of those are tossed with a bit of corn starch and then mashed and cooked with sugar (for 2 c blueberries we use about 1 to 1-1/2 c sugar), a bit of water (depends on if we are using fresh wild blueberries or frozen) some lemon zest and cinnamon, lemon juice. Once that is pie-filling consistency, we let it cool, coat the remaining blueberries with a bit of flour, the rest of the sugar, lemon zest, combine the two. My grandma always topped the filling with a couple of dabs of butter before putting on the top crust (my aunt once tried lemon oil because she didn't have a fresh lemon--not recommended--the lemon oil taste was overpowering). We don't have a recipe for the filling--we all learned to make this at our grandma's knee and go by taste and consistency--add more sugar if it's not sweet enough--we usually start with less sugar. Add more blueberries if not enough to fill the pie pan. Always put the pie on a baking sheet so if it spills, it doesn't make a mess of the oven. The top of the pie was always brushed with milk and a sprinkle of sugar. Andy, I know you like exact measurements, but maybe there is one that you've stumbled across that is similar re: technique to how my grandma made her county fair blue ribbon wild blueberry pie.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, CWS. I'll note your recipe. I was also commenting on the wide variances in the quantities.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

What the heck is going on???

Different people, different taste buds, different recipes.

As an example: I make this cake and everybody loves it. When during Passover I do not eat sugar, and I make the same cake right after, to break the "fast" so to speak, I cannot eat it it is so sweet, no, that I know that it is a problem, I cut sugar by half or more.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I still need a go to blueberry pie recipe, I have a specific flavor and texture in mind, and I just have to figure it out. There is a restaurant back in Maine that had a great pie, not runny but not too thick and an awesome flavor.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Thanks, CWS. I'll note your recipe. I was also commenting on the wide variances in the quantities.
I've only used wild blueberries to make blueberry pie. We always used a pyrex dish like this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1504147...pink-pyrex-pie

My mom's is exactly like that one, but a little more worn!
Old 11-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I still need a go to blueberry pie recipe, I have a specific flavor and texture in mind, and I just have to figure it out. There is a restaurant back in Maine that had a great pie, not runny but not too thick and an awesome flavor.
Bakechef, I know my dad has written the recipe down because my mom can't make it anymore--I'll see if I can find it in my many recipe cards. Otherwise, my brother is going out for T'giving and I'll ask him to scan it and send it to me.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

That would be wonderful! Thank you!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pie