"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 06-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks bakechef and Chief!

Old 06-27-2015, 08:20 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Andy, my crust always comes out perfect, top and bottom. For fruit pies, I put the bottom crust into the pan, brush with beaten egg, and pop into a 400' oven for about 6 to eight minutes. This sets the egg, which in turn seals the liquid from the crust. As for getting the filling the right consistency, the only time I've had a perfect blueberry pie filling was when I used a recipe from a box of tapioca starch. I lost the recipe years ago, much to my chagrine. I'll see if I can find a recipe that looks like the one I used. Hold tight. Oh, and I really don't see the need for the lemon, especially with store-bought blueberries, which aren't nearly as sweet as are wild blueberries.

Found one. It seems that the unique properties of tapioca starch make it the starch of choice for juicy, fruits used in pies. It makes the fruit glossy, has twice the thickening power of flour, is slightly sweet, thickens at a lower temp that does flour or cornstarch, and has no starchy flavor of feel.

Here's the recipe I found - Blueberry Pie - Recipe - Cooks.com.

Andy, blueberry pie is one of the premier pies, and deserves to be enjoyed as one of the great pies. Good luck, buddy.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I actually like the flavor that just a bit of lemon gives blueberry things, I never thought of it as a way of tempering sweetness.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

I noticed what a difference a little lemon makes when I was making blueberry topping for cheesecake. I tasted it as I was cooking it and it tasted good. Then I added the lemon and WOW! The nature of the taste changed to that of fresh blueberries.The blueberry flavor is brighter and more natural tasting.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:05 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I noticed what a difference a little lemon makes when I was making blueberry topping for cheesecake. I tasted it as I was cooking it and it tasted good. Then I added the lemon and WOW! The nature of the taste changed to that of fresh blueberries.The blueberry flavor is brighter and more natural tasting.
Thanks.

seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:10 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I did some Googling because I seemed to remember that cornstarch isn't the best thickener for anything acid. Well from Food and Foodstuff - pH Values blueberries are fairly acid, pH of 3.1 - 3.4. From a number of other sites arrowroot and tapioca are suggested for something that acid. Those thickeners will also hold up better in the freezer, in case you want to freeze some of the pie.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Great info, TL. Thanks.

Further research gives us this: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...thickener.html
Old 06-28-2015, 05:41 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Cornstarch will gel better in a pie than flour.

I usually make my pie a day ahead of time and let it chill. If I'm going to serve warm, I'll pop slices in the microwave.

Fruit pies are tricky. Getting a filling that doesn't run, but not too thick is a pain.

I've started making blueberry filling in a saucepan and putting that in the pie. If it thickens in the pan, it'll hold up in the pie. With the juices already thickened it'll help prevent soggy bottom.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
That's how we always make our blueberry pie--we cook the filling first, reserving about 1 c of fresh blueberries that are tossed with seasoned flour (cinnamon, lemon zest, a bit of sugar) and sprinkle those on top of the filling. Don't know why we do that, that's the way my grandma made wild blueberry pie and that's the way my mom made it and that's the way I make blueberry pie.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

There is a restaurant in Bar Harbor Maine that has my favorite blueberry pie, I have no idea if they make it in house or not. It has a filling that is thick, but not gelatinous, just thick enough to not be runny. The crust is perfection, flaky, not crumbly that flakes apart when you pierce it with a fork. Even Rob who isn't the biggest blueberry fan gets it when we go there.

Just went to their site and it does look like they make it there.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:11 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Great info, TL. Thanks.

Further research gives us this: Ingredient guide: Pie thickener | King Arthur Flour
Thanks Andy for the link. Copied and pasted to my recipe file.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!

bakechef recently posted about a blueberry pie recipe from ATK that he made and recommended.
I went and got the recipe. Blueberries on sale $0.99/pint. Bought the tapioca, the apple and a lemon. Ready to go.

Chilled the fats for the crust as directed. Measured the vodka and chilled that. Got out the FP and mixed the dry ingredients and fats as instructed. So far so good. Added the vodka and water and started to fold it in to the dough. Seemed kinda wet so I checked the recipe.

Some brain dead idiot carefully measured 1/4 cup of vodka and another of water. Sadly it wasn't until it was too late that I realized 1/4 cup is 2 ounces and not 4 ounces. I had added double the called for liquid.

Oh, well. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Tags
blueberries, pie, pie crust