Bread pudding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good lord that is lot of recipies! Now i just gotta make some more bread pudding!

Thanks for all the recipies! The CHoc And Bourbon one sounds like it would be great when it is cold out and a fire is lit, although I am a sucker for bourbon:)

i've never used a recipe for bread pudding in my life, so here's my:

HOW-TO-EYEBALL-IT BREAD PUDDING RECIPE

- first, chop up enough bread to loosely or firmly fill up whatever you'll be baking in, not quite to the top.

- remembering that 1 egg will just set 1 cup of milk softly, mix 1 or 2 eggs & a small handful (2 tablespoons?) of sugar per cup or so of milk, along with the flavoring of your choice, and don't forget a bit of salt.
- butter your baking dish, combine the bread and milk mixture, and bake till done.

remember that there's tremendous lattitude in the ratio of bread to liquid, and the resulting "bread pudding" can range anywhere from a delicate custard with bread in it to something nearly as dense as stuffing for a bird.

bread: white bread is about the only bread i don't generally use for bread pudding. i either go with whole wheat, multigrain type breads, or challah, brioche, pannetone types.

flavorings and additions i enjoy: of course the traditional cinnamon and vanilla is always good, but:
- liqeuers are very nice
- apples are nice, as are peaches
- raspberries go well with whole grain & rye bread
- cranberries
- coarsely grated pumpkin or other squash
- lemon or orange zest

baking: i won't give any times, because that will depend on the size and depth of the pan, but baking at a moderately higher heat will give you a more homestyle pudding with a good crust while baking in a slow oven and maybe using a water bath for a high-liquid ratio will give you more delicate results. as a rule of thumb, when the edges are rising it either is or getting close to being done.

icon12.gif

TATTRAT said:
I will post the recipie when I make a batch. I normally eyeball it, but I will document it, and post it.

I won a "Most Memorable Meal in Hampton Roads" award with that and a couple other items, so I guess it is pretty good. I like it because it isn't that sweet................it also makes great french toast in the mornings.

Any chance of getting that recipe? I'm interested in getting the particulars for making bread pudding in a large quantity. :)

This is absolutely delicious. Labelled "French toast", it is definitely bread pudding. Serve it with the syrup or another sauce.

Blueberry pecan French toast
1 (24-inch) baguette –I use Italian bread or brioche, not a real crusty French baguette
6 large eggs
3 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup pecans (about 3 ounces)
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups blueberries (1 cup of which will make the syrup)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Butter a 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Cut 20 (1-inch) slices from baguette and arrange in 1 layer in the baking dish. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, nutmeg, vanilla and 3/4 cup brown sugar and pour evenly over bread. Chill mixture, covered, until all liquid is absorbed by bread, at least 8 hours, and up to 1 day.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a shallow baking pan, spread pecans evenly and toast in middle of oven until fragrant, about 8 minutes. Toss pecans in pan with 1 teaspoon butter and salt.
Increase temperature to 400 degrees.
Sprinkle pecans and blueberries evenly over bread mixture. Cut 1/2 stick butter into pieces and in a small saucepan heat with remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar, stirring until butter is melted. Drizzle butter mixture over bread and bake for 20 minutes, or until any liquid from the blueberries is bubbling.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cook blueberries and maple syrup over moderate heat until berries have burst, about 3 minutes. Pour syrup through a sieve into a heatproof pitcher, pressing on solids, and stir in lemon juice. Syrup may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat syrup before serving. Serve French toast with syrup.

For the recipe to "Autumn Bread Pudding" go to bakerscatalog.com. It's fast, easy AND delicious!

sassy said:
For the recipe to "Autumn Bread Pudding" go to bakerscatalog.com. It's fast, easy AND delicious!
Thanks for this link, Sassy! That really does sound great ... pears, apricots and cranberries...

Gretchen said:
Blueberry pecan French toast
Gretchen, I really like you. I don't think this will do for what I need next week (for 120), but it is definitely going in the file for testing soon for family. I wish I could make it right now. :)
I have a "Pumpkin Bread Pudding" in the oven at the moment... If it's good and if I can figure out how to make it in big pans, it will be just the thing for the Nov. luncheon I have next week.

P.S. I haven't tried again on the Moravian Sugar Cake... the meeting was postponed, so of course I postponed the test. Will let you know.

OK... before I call you a tease, TATTRAT, have you posted this recipe somewhere other than this thread? I'm seriously desperate for it since it encompasses 3 of my most favorite things in the world; blueberries, white chocolate and bread pudding. I suppose I could otherwise try to replicate it... but yours looks so good!!

A long time ago, Mudbug posted the recipe that her mom has always used. I couldn't find searching but I can vouch that this is it and it's excellent! It's a basic one that I'm sure you could change up however you want (adding chocolate, dried fruit, etc).

Bread Pudding

Heat 2 cups milk to scalding

Pour over 4 cups coarse bread chunks (this is where your stale bread comes in - note that the bread should be COARSE, i.e., torn up pieces—chunks-- rather than "crumbs")

Cool and add:
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup raisins (chopped up apple bits are good, too)
1 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg

Pour into buttered casserole. Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes. Makes six servings.

made one after seeing this recipe. this was very quick to mix up. i used splenda brown sugar blend instead of white sugar. also put in zest of one lemon and 1tsp of vanilla . just finished second dish, just delicious. there goes dinner. oh well, bread, milk and eggs are healthy. and fruit in zest. lol:chef:

Puddings

Great Britain calling, some excellent versions of Bread and Butter Pud, Queen of Puddings is one of my fav's, if you want a real ventricle clogger it has to be Sussex Pond Pudding.

Back
Top Bottom