Breville's Personal Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps having enough dough for 50% more tops/bottoms than needed should have been a hint that I was rolling it too thin, huh? (laughs)

An added benefit is that I have finally convinced my husband that I need a small blow torch in the kitchen. I sprinkle a bit of plain sugar on the tops while they are hot--torch the sugar, sprinkle a bit more, torch it again. Gives a great crunchy top to the pies AND lets me play with a blow torch!

I so want to join the Pie Cult...especially if the mother ship color is purple. I tried to order one of these when I was in MN--it wasn't going to arrive in time. I'm aiming for one to be waiting for me in NY when I get off the train after my Jan-February trip to the States (that, and a Scruba--I think that is the iroomba version of the floor scrubbing robot--according to American Test Kitchen, it is a must have as a kitchen tool. Those were back-ordered too. I was going to get one for my mom as well). I couldn't find any stores that carried the Breville in the area where I was. I might check for a source in San Antonio...

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!

Now have 4 beautiful little cherry pies cooling on a rack. No overflow. No cracking. No separating tops!

I think my problem all along has been rolling the dough too thin. Got out a ruler to check what 1/8th of an inch really is. My dough has been closer to 1/16th of an inch than 1/8th.

I laid the bottom in place, centered above the well. One of them cracked when I tried using the pusher. Patched the crack and with the others, just let the dough "slump" into place. Added the filling and this time resisted using the pusher.

Put on the tops (which were also thicker than I had been using), and let them cook.

FAN-FREAKIN'-TASTIC!!!!!

Thank you so much for your help!

WOOT!!!:chef: Glad it worked out for you. Had me wondering what happened with those recipes.. Both doughs have a distinct feel to them. The amounts and ingredients are different to. I do go a little lighter on the flour, only because as I'm rolling, shaping, cutting I dust the shapes with a flour sifter as I go. It's not wrong to re roll the dough. As long as it's still pliable and not stiff it should work out just fine.
I make up extra batches ahead of time freeze or refrigerate them. When I need them I sit them on the counter until it's room temp and get to work.

I to usually have a piece or two left over of the top crusts. Well they're bottom crusts now!.. By then seems that whatever filling is left is just enough to fill them both. So I don't sweat it too much. My dogs usually get them anyways. That's why they luv me best! ;)

See now why I ditched that pusher? Let the pie maker warm up the lard in the dough. By the time your ready to fill and top. It's ready. It also helps with the cooking time. No unevenly cooked crusts.

So what's for dinner tonight?
Welcome to the cult.. " Moon Pie's" :ROFLMAO:

Munky.

I so want to join the Pie Cult...especially if the mother ship color is purple. I tried to order one of these when I was in MN--it wasn't going to arrive in time. I'm aiming for one to be waiting for me in NY when I get off the train after my Jan-February trip to the States (that, and a Scruba--I think that is the iroomba version of the floor scrubbing robot--according to American Test Kitchen, it is a must have as a kitchen tool. Those were back-ordered too. I was going to get one for my mom as well). I couldn't find any stores that carried the Breville in the area where I was. I might check for a source in San Antonio...

The only Mother Ship in purple is on back order.. All they have is a Steel Chromed. Looks suhweeet. Supposedly gets better pie mileage :LOL:
You can join anyways. It does look like the pie maker is still a W/S exclusive.

Munky.

The only Mother Ship in purple is on back order.. All they have is a Steel Chromed. Looks suhweeet. Supposedly gets better pie mileage :LOL:
You can join anyways. It does look like the pie maker is still a W/S exclusive.

Munky.

I see there is a Williams-Sonoma store in San Antonio. There is also one in South Windsor, CT. I am hoping to get down to CT before Christmas and my BF's company happens to be in S. Windsor, so I could get her to pick it up. There is also one in Syracuse. We could stop on my way back in February since I take the train to Syracuse (and I'm planning on coming back a few days b/4 my b'day...I know what I'm getting for my b/day!!!). Question: is it cheaper to order it online or is the price the same in the store as online? Right now, it is on sale for $99.99. Is that the usual price? No W/S in the Ottawa, area. I didn't check Montreal because I don't go to Montreal. Ha! Amazon.ca has them for $89.99. Better still, PersonalEdge in Ottawa might have them. I'll have to swing by when I'm in the City on Thursday.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the store prices are cheaper then online. Don't see anything listed on Google that says these pie makers are sold in stores. Just a few Breville products. Macy's didn't have it last time I looked
When I bought mine it was $80.00. From W/S. It's only on sale now for $99.00 for a short time.
W/S has bumped the price up to $150.00. I think that's asking a bit much. They knew the pie makers were in demand and think they are gouging. They should have left the price as it was originally. Especially in this economy. When you include the shipping costs it's still way more expensive then most families can afford.

Checked Amazon. They have other pie makers available as low as $20- $29 you can look. You might find one that you like. If it gets the job done to your personal satisfaction who says it has to be a Breville product? Personally I liked the whole concept of them. In a way it's a money saver, versatile product. You still get the personal pies. That's what people want.

Amazon.com: Nostalgia Electrics PIE-400 4-Pie Electric Pie Bakery: Kitchen & Dining

Here's the stats on the Amazon models:

• Product Dimensions: 11.2 x 13 x 4.2 inches ; 5.5 pounds
  • Shipping Weight: 7 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
  • Shipping: This item is also available for shipping to select countries outside the U.S.
Breville's Stats:

• Stainless-steel exterior.
    • 11" x 15" x 5" high.
    • 7 lb. 13 oz.
    • 1200W.
    • This product is intended for use in the United States and Canada and is built to United States electrical standards.
    • Made in China.

Munky.

ChefMunky--W/S must have US exclusive. I found one online for $79.99 (PersonalEdge.ca) and it will be delivered to the store closest to me for the online price, no shipping. The only problem is I can't get into my PayPal account from my laptop. I'll try on my other computer when I go back upstairs to work.

I know what I'm getting for Christmas, you guys will have to sell me on another gadget before February <g>.

Found one

Attachments

• Skype-emoticons-72-mooning.gif
    Skype-emoticons-72-mooning.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 231
Tamale Pie Help Needed

Fiona,

I've been trying to make the tamale pies that you described, but am having a terrible problem with the masa. I'm using the Mescate masa and making the tamale masa according to the directions on the bag. Problem is that there is no way I can get it to work in the pie maker. I make little golf ball size balls, drop them into the pie wells, but when I try to use the "pusher" to squish the balls, all that happens is that the masa sticks all over the "pusher".

How did you manage to spread out the masa into the wells? Did you make your masa extraordinarily dry? I even tried letting the masa set for a day or so (since you said yours was left-over masa), but that didn't help any either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

--pam

Fiona,

I've been trying to make the tamale pies that you described, but am having a terrible problem with the masa. I'm using the Mescate masa and making the tamale masa according to the directions on the bag. Problem is that there is no way I can get it to work in the pie maker. I make little golf ball size balls, drop them into the pie wells, but when I try to use the "pusher" to squish the balls, all that happens is that the masa sticks all over the "pusher".

How did you manage to spread out the masa into the wells? Did you make your masa extraordinarily dry? I even tried letting the masa set for a day or so (since you said yours was left-over masa), but that didn't help any either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

--pam

Did you try pushing it down with your fingers? I coat my hands in grapeseed oil when I work with masa or anything sticky, sorry I didn't mention that. I use my hands more than Shrek does. He tends to rely on the pusher, it ends up in the sink when I'm baking pies.

Ham, Broccoli and Cheese Pie Filling

Makes 4 pies

Your favorite shells for the piemaker, tops and bottms

4 slices deli ham, chopped
1 cup steamed broccoli florets, chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar
1-2 tablespoons Dijon or Stoneground Mustard

Mix all together, divide into 4 equal piles and put into piemaker. Bake according to directions.

FYI - Bed, Bath and Away has off brand Piemakers for $29.99, wait for your 20% off coupon.:)

Well, that adorable little pie maker is waaay out of my budget. So If I use the disposable small aluminum pie plates, and make up different pie mixes, I can make a bunch of pies to make everyone happy come Christmas. And wutgh the BBC pie site I am going to have a great time in the kitchen come December. I better start eating up what is in the freezer so I can make room for those pies. I was thinking of making turnovers, but those individual pies are just too cute to pass up. I already have the perfect size cutter for the crusts. One of those gadgets I just love and had to have.

I agree, Addie. The Piemaker is over priced, I was able to get it because of an inheritance. So I've been looking for affordable solutions for others.

I got a Wilton "pie maker" at BB&B for $6, it just cuts out rectangles and forms the pie. I got it for hot pocket type pies. Wilton® Rectangular Mini Pie Press - Bed Bath & Beyond

They also have a Babycakes piemaker for $30 that makes 4 pies.

The pie maker has been fun and gotten Shrek involved in the kitchen, which is really nice! Takes some of the pressure off me.

Hi,

I found this website when searching for recipes for the Breville personal pie maker. Just got one for my birthday last week, along with the cookbook and the pie lifter. So far, we've only made chicken pot pies, but I like to have lots of ideas to play with. I've read through all 22 pages of this thread, so thanks for all of the great tips and recipes. I've C&P'd a 6 page word document just from this thread. :)

Was wondering, did the pie maker ever get its own forum?

Back
Top Bottom