"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 05-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #151
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieinCO View Post
So, I need all of your wisdom...I want to try to bake tart shells in this!...do you think if I fill the bottoms of the empty shell with pie weights it might work? Any ideas, wisdom would be appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Hiya,

I don't think pie weights are necessary for this.
You could try this. After you line the pie maker. Poke holes into the bottom of the shells with a plastic fork and see if that will work. I'm thinking it will release any air bubbles that might show up.

Good luck.

Munky.

I think either way would work...Wish I hadn't tossed the trimmings of the last pie dough.

I made tuna casserole...without the noodles and put it in the pies...yummy with cheese!!!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #152
Senior Cook

green chile chicken pot pies.... Just sayin'..

-Damien

Old 05-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #153
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Well...now that I have some really good green chilie's...
Old 05-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #154
Executive Chef

I have been looking at this thread for a while, and may have to get one of these for making little pies. Do you know if they would ship well? My Dad lives far from me, and just loves pies. Since I am not near to make them for him, I am thinking that this might be a great idea if they sould ship OK. What do you think? Would there be a way to ship these little pies without them breaking all apart? Just wondering.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #155
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I have been looking at this thread for a while, and may have to get one of these for making little pies. Do you know if they would ship well? My Dad lives far from me, and just loves pies. Since I am not near to make them for him, I am thinking that this might be a great idea if they sould ship OK. What do you think? Would there be a way to ship these little pies without them breaking all apart? Just wondering.
I really don't see how, unless you freeze them solid and ship in dry ice.

They don't have little pans, so you would have to wrap them well, so they don't break.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #156
Honey Badger

Just a thought about the tart shells, weights and such.

What if you used the Reynolds foil lined baking cups? They come in a small container that have a paper insert. Remove the paper liner. Insert the foil cup, place the dough in and bake.They are designed so that you don't have to use a muffin pan, just a cookie sheet.

It shouldn't scratch your pie maker, still bake the crust and have a pretty cool looking rigid pie shell.

I just pulled one foil liner out to test. It will fit perfectly into the pie maker, just a smidgen over the top. I think the dough once it's in will even it out perfectly.

Munky.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #157
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Just a thought about the tart shells, weights and such.

What if you used the Reynolds foil lined baking cups? They come in a small container that have a paper insert. Remove the paper liner. Insert the foil cup, place the dough in and bake.They are designed so that you don't have to use a muffin pan, just a cookie sheet.

It shouldn't scratch your pie maker, still bake the crust and have a pretty cool looking rigid pie shell.

I just pulled one foil liner out to test. It will fit perfectly into the pie maker, just a smidgen over the top. I think the dough once it's in will even it out perfectly.

Munky.

Going to byuy some of those tins, after I copy the rest of the recipes ou put up. YES<YES< it came today woooooo hooo yippee I'm set to go. How ya been Char? I've been meaning to write about Phil's. Wanted to go this thurs or fri but Gil has been sick and now i've two gradustions to go to yeesh. When do I get to have some fun? Wish me luck with my new toy.
cj
Old 05-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #158
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Going to byuy some of those tins, after I copy the rest of the recipes ou put up. YES<YES< it came today woooooo hooo yippee I'm set to go. How ya been Char? I've been meaning to write about Phil's. Wanted to go this thurs or fri but Gil has been sick and now i've two gradustions to go to yeesh. When do I get to have some fun? Wish me luck with my new toy.
cj
Awww Kade's glad it's finally arrived. Bout time!

So, what are making first? I'm really hungry. Dinner's at what time again?

I've got a roast on the crock pot now. I'll be making Beef Pot Pies tomorrow. Missed my pie maker.

Don't worry about Phil's. Gil ( hope he's feeling better) and graduations come first. One of these Thursdays I won't have to see the men in white coats.. They're coming to take me away!.. Just kidding.

Have fun with your pie maker.

Munky.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #159
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
cj
Yea!!!! Now what are you going to put in a pie?

I'm going to make an oyster pie...
Old 05-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #160
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I can't wait to hear about the oyster pie. I love oysters! I may just have to get one of these pie makers.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None