"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #191
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky

The exterior of them reminds me of the Easy Bake Ovens.. Cheesy colors..
PM-44 - Pie Makers - Products - Babycakes

What's a Whoopie Pie?

For $30.00 it might be worth trying..Don't drop it..

Munky.
Oh my goodness, you've never had a whoopie pie?

Where I grew up in maine, they are practically a food group!

They are two cake-like cookies with a fluffy buttercream in the middle, often the buttercream is made with marshmallow fluff and the cookies are chocolate. There are lots of variations, red velvet, pumpkin etc...
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #192
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,287
Princess,
Just made some. These are absolutely fantastic! How's that for timing?
I cheated a little bit. Took a few hamburgers that I grilled this morning. Crumbled them up. Make a quick batch of chili sauce. Mixed both together. followed your instructions.
These taste so much like Tamales. Had I thought to do so black olives would have been a nice touch. Call it mini enchilada pie

Thank you for the recipe. It's definitely a keeper. Quick and easy to make

Munky.
__________________

__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #193
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Oh my goodness, you've never had a whoopie pie?

Where I grew up in maine, they are practically a food group!

They are two cake-like cookies with a fluffy buttercream in the middle, often the buttercream is made with marshmallow fluff and the cookies are chocolate. There are lots of variations, red velvet, pumpkin etc...
I've never heard of them before until today.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:51 AM   #194
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Princess,
Just made some. These are absolutely fantastic! How's that for timing?
I cheated a little bit. Took a few hamburgers that I grilled this morning. Crumbled them up. Make a quick batch of chili sauce. Mixed both together. followed your instructions.
These taste so much like Tamales. Had I thought to do so black olives would have been a nice touch. Call it mini enchilada pie

Thank you for the recipe. It's definitely a keeper. Quick and easy to make

Munky.
Great, I'm doing shredded chicken next. And I think I will try pork and salsa verde, made with tomatillos.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #195
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North East Tennessee
Posts: 5
Question Rips and Tears

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm having with my pie maker. I've been through all the posts in this thread looking for an answer, but no joy. (But BIG joy over all the recipes! Looks like we are going to be eating pie for at least a couple of weeks!)

Anyway, here's my problem. I put the bottom pastry on top of the hole where it's going to go then use the "pusher" to push it into the cavity. As soon as I start pushing on it, it starts ripping and tearing (the pastry dough--not the pusher). I usually wind up with a small circle of dough on the bottom of the cavity, a bunch of empty space around the side, and dough around the upper third of the cavity. I then spend five minutes "repairing" the rips and tears with pieces of dough stuck in and pressed with a wooden spoon--learned real quick not to touch!

Can you please oh please share with me how you get your bottom circle of dough to go in without ripping and tearing and patching?
__________________
plvannest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #196
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by plvannest View Post
I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm having with my pie maker. I've been through all the posts in this thread looking for an answer, but no joy. (But BIG joy over all the recipes! Looks like we are going to be eating pie for at least a couple of weeks!)

Anyway, here's my problem. I put the bottom pastry on top of the hole where it's going to go then use the "pusher" to push it into the cavity. As soon as I start pushing on it, it starts ripping and tearing (the pastry dough--not the pusher). I usually wind up with a small circle of dough on the bottom of the cavity, a bunch of empty space around the side, and dough around the upper third of the cavity. I then spend five minutes "repairing" the rips and tears with pieces of dough stuck in and pressed with a wooden spoon--learned real quick not to touch!

Can you please oh please share with me how you get your bottom circle of dough to go in without ripping and tearing and patching?
Welcome to DC Plvannest It's great to have you here. One more and we officially have a Pie Cult. Now all we need is to choose a color for our Mother ship

I had the same problem as you when I first got mine. Would you mind posting your crust recipe, what were you making? It sounds to me like the dough was either too cold or not moist enough to roll. Use the larger side of the cutter for your bottom crusts.

I no longer use the pusher. It's to me a waste. Even dipping it in flour didn't help. The dough would stick to the pusher. What I do is mark 2 plates Top crusts & bottom crusts.
The dough has to be rested and at room temp. If it's too cold it will tear. Once it's been rolled out and cut. Use a flat scraper. Take the cut pieces and put them on the plate with a light dusting of flour. Preheat the pie maker.

When you ready to fill add the bottom crust. Don't worry about pushing the dough all the way down. Just place it as centered as you can.
Add your filling. I then press the filling into the cup. It will finish pushing the dough down to perfection for you. Add the top crust. Parchment paper cut outs keep the outer edges from over browning.

Here's my recipe for the top and bottom crusts.
Pie Crust Recipe Base:
For the bottom base:
2 Cups AP flour
3/4 Cup Lard
1 Teaspoon of salt
5 to 6 Tablespoons of ice water.

Crumble the flour, salt and lard into a mixing bowl. Work it until it's fine crumb. Gradually add the water until it's fully incorporated and a soft dough. Wrap in saran wrap. Refrigerate over night, or a few hours. When it's ready roll the dough onto a floured surface. 1/8" thick. Cut and place on a floured plate. Makes about 8 bases.


Pie Crust Recipe Top:
Top Crust Butter Puff:
1 1/4 Cup sifted AP flour
1 stick of salted butter
2-3 Tablespoons of ice water

Cut the butter into the flour until it's a fine crumb. Gradually add the water until the dough is soft and incorporated. Let it rest. Roll, cut shape, repeat. Makes about 8 Flaky crusts.

Hope this helps.
Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:40 AM   #197
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,309
Shrek said he has this problem when he starts. He also says, thanks for the tip, he'll start letting the bottoms warm up first.

I made Seafood pot pies the other night. Basically a seafood chowder without potatoes, quite thick and in puff pastry shells. It was good.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:53 AM   #198
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North East Tennessee
Posts: 5
Chef Munky, thanks so much for your reply. (Sorry I'm just getting back to you, but had a hectic weekend.)

I am using your recipe for the top and bottom crusts. (Mmmmmmm Lard!)Only adjustment I made was to weigh the flour--268 grams for the bottom crust and 163 grams for the top. Is that about right?

Maybe I am rolling the crusts too thin? Reason I ask is that I am getting more like 6 tops and 6 bottoms from the amount of crust. I get four of each the first time, then re-roll scraps and get 2 of each kind the second time around. (Yeah, I know, re-rolling pie dough is a big no-no, but drat I hate to throw those scraps away!)

(Correction: I say 6 tops and 6 bottoms because I divide the dough in half. Rather than 4 of each from each half of dough, I get 6)

I have recently tried "pre-shaping" the bottom on the pusher thingie then carefully tipping it into the well. Although I don't have a problem with the dough sticking to the pusher, this method seems to cause a problem with the tops separating from the bottoms when baking. Not exactly a solution by any means.

I am going to try a batch today using your method of centering the dough, filling it, then pressing it after the dough has warmed a bit.

The good thing is that even when it all goes wrong--it still tastes good!
__________________
plvannest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #199
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North East Tennessee
Posts: 5
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!

Now have 4 beautiful little cherry pies cooling on a rack. No overflow. No cracking. No separating tops!

I think my problem all along has been rolling the dough too thin. Got out a ruler to check what 1/8th of an inch really is. My dough has been closer to 1/16th of an inch than 1/8th.

I laid the bottom in place, centered above the well. One of them cracked when I tried using the pusher. Patched the crack and with the others, just let the dough "slump" into place. Added the filling and this time resisted using the pusher.

Put on the tops (which were also thicker than I had been using), and let them cook.

FAN-FREAKIN'-TASTIC!!!!!

Thank you so much for your help!
__________________
plvannest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #200
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,309
Hooray!!! Good job!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.