"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #201
Assistant Cook

Perhaps having enough dough for 50% more tops/bottoms than needed should have been a hint that I was rolling it too thin, huh? (laughs)

An added benefit is that I have finally convinced my husband that I need a small blow torch in the kitchen. I sprinkle a bit of plain sugar on the tops while they are hot--torch the sugar, sprinkle a bit more, torch it again. Gives a great crunchy top to the pies AND lets me play with a blow torch!

Old 10-31-2011, 03:15 PM   #202
Chef Extraordinaire

I so want to join the Pie Cult...especially if the mother ship color is purple. I tried to order one of these when I was in MN--it wasn't going to arrive in time. I'm aiming for one to be waiting for me in NY when I get off the train after my Jan-February trip to the States (that, and a Scruba--I think that is the iroomba version of the floor scrubbing robot--according to American Test Kitchen, it is a must have as a kitchen tool. Those were back-ordered too. I was going to get one for my mom as well). I couldn't find any stores that carried the Breville in the area where I was. I might check for a source in San Antonio...

Old 10-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #203
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by plvannest View Post
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!

Now have 4 beautiful little cherry pies cooling on a rack. No overflow. No cracking. No separating tops!

I think my problem all along has been rolling the dough too thin. Got out a ruler to check what 1/8th of an inch really is. My dough has been closer to 1/16th of an inch than 1/8th.

I laid the bottom in place, centered above the well. One of them cracked when I tried using the pusher. Patched the crack and with the others, just let the dough "slump" into place. Added the filling and this time resisted using the pusher.

Put on the tops (which were also thicker than I had been using), and let them cook.

FAN-FREAKIN'-TASTIC!!!!!

Thank you so much for your help!
WOOT!!! Glad it worked out for you. Had me wondering what happened with those recipes.. Both doughs have a distinct feel to them. The amounts and ingredients are different to. I do go a little lighter on the flour, only because as I'm rolling, shaping, cutting I dust the shapes with a flour sifter as I go. It's not wrong to re roll the dough. As long as it's still pliable and not stiff it should work out just fine.
I make up extra batches ahead of time freeze or refrigerate them. When I need them I sit them on the counter until it's room temp and get to work.

I to usually have a piece or two left over of the top crusts. Well they're bottom crusts now!.. By then seems that whatever filling is left is just enough to fill them both. So I don't sweat it too much. My dogs usually get them anyways. That's why they luv me best! ;)

See now why I ditched that pusher? Let the pie maker warm up the lard in the dough. By the time your ready to fill and top. It's ready. It also helps with the cooking time. No unevenly cooked crusts.

So what's for dinner tonight?
Welcome to the cult.. " Moon Pie's"

Munky.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #204
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I so want to join the Pie Cult...especially if the mother ship color is purple. I tried to order one of these when I was in MN--it wasn't going to arrive in time. I'm aiming for one to be waiting for me in NY when I get off the train after my Jan-February trip to the States (that, and a Scruba--I think that is the iroomba version of the floor scrubbing robot--according to American Test Kitchen, it is a must have as a kitchen tool. Those were back-ordered too. I was going to get one for my mom as well). I couldn't find any stores that carried the Breville in the area where I was. I might check for a source in San Antonio...
The only Mother Ship in purple is on back order.. All they have is a Steel Chromed. Looks suhweeet. Supposedly gets better pie mileage
You can join anyways. It does look like the pie maker is still a W/S exclusive.

Munky.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #205
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
The only Mother Ship in purple is on back order.. All they have is a Steel Chromed. Looks suhweeet. Supposedly gets better pie mileage
You can join anyways. It does look like the pie maker is still a W/S exclusive.

Munky.
I see there is a Williams-Sonoma store in San Antonio. There is also one in South Windsor, CT. I am hoping to get down to CT before Christmas and my BF's company happens to be in S. Windsor, so I could get her to pick it up. There is also one in Syracuse. We could stop on my way back in February since I take the train to Syracuse (and I'm planning on coming back a few days b/4 my b'day...I know what I'm getting for my b/day!!!). Question: is it cheaper to order it online or is the price the same in the store as online? Right now, it is on sale for $99.99. Is that the usual price? No W/S in the Ottawa, area. I didn't check Montreal because I don't go to Montreal. Ha! Amazon.ca has them for $89.99. Better still, PersonalEdge in Ottawa might have them. I'll have to swing by when I'm in the City on Thursday.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #206
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The Moon Pies... What kind of Moon are we talking about?
Old 10-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #207
Honey Badger

I'm not sure if the store prices are cheaper then online. Don't see anything listed on Google that says these pie makers are sold in stores. Just a few Breville products. Macy's didn't have it last time I looked
When I bought mine it was $80.00. From W/S. It's only on sale now for $99.00 for a short time.
W/S has bumped the price up to $150.00. I think that's asking a bit much. They knew the pie makers were in demand and think they are gouging. They should have left the price as it was originally. Especially in this economy. When you include the shipping costs it's still way more expensive then most families can afford.

Checked Amazon. They have other pie makers available as low as $20- $29 you can look. You might find one that you like. If it gets the job done to your personal satisfaction who says it has to be a Breville product? Personally I liked the whole concept of them. In a way it's a money saver, versatile product. You still get the personal pies. That's what people want.

Amazon.com: Nostalgia Electrics PIE-400 4-Pie Electric Pie Bakery: Kitchen & Dining

Here's the stats on the Amazon models:
  • Product Dimensions: 11.2 x 13 x 4.2 inches ; 5.5 pounds
  • Shipping Weight: 7 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
  • Shipping: This item is also available for shipping to select countries outside the U.S.
Breville's Stats:

• Stainless-steel exterior.
    • 11" x 15" x 5" high.
    • 7 lb. 13 oz.
    • 1200W.
    • This product is intended for use in the United States and Canada and is built to United States electrical standards.
    • Made in China.

Munky.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #208
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The Moon Pies... What kind of Moon are we talking about?
I had a feeling you would ask that!
MOOOOOOON. We need a wiggly butt icon..

Munky.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #209
Chef Extraordinaire

ChefMunky--W/S must have US exclusive. I found one online for $79.99 (PersonalEdge.ca) and it will be delivered to the store closest to me for the online price, no shipping. The only problem is I can't get into my PayPal account from my laptop. I'll try on my other computer when I go back upstairs to work.

I know what I'm getting for Christmas, you guys will have to sell me on another gadget before February <g>.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #210
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Found one
Attached Images

Tags
None