"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #271
Assistant Cook
 
Jos4Boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 48
Thanks so much for the info, I have recipes for the banana bread/muffins I will try and my homemade pumpkin mix for pies that is stored in the freezer. Its so good to know I can use with or without a liner. I was so afraid the cupcake liner would burn in the pie maker. I am so excited to start using my new toy! Also is there a spot on this board where more recipes you all shared are listed for me to look thru?
__________________

__________________
Jos4Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #272
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos4Boys View Post
Thanks so much for the info, I have recipes for the banana bread/muffins I will try and my homemade pumpkin mix for pies that is stored in the freezer. Its so good to know I can use with or without a liner. I was so afraid the cupcake liner would burn in the pie maker. I am so excited to start using my new toy! Also is there a spot on this board where more recipes you all shared are listed for me to look thru?
Now, that you mention it...No. We didn't get around to creating it yet. Our excuse is...we've been too busy playing with our pie makers. But, I should think any pie filling should work as long as you don't put more than 1/4 cup in.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #273
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5
Good morning all,

I got home late last night and only made ONE recipe. And it wasn't even the chicken pot pie I was dreaming of all day. I made a very simple bolognese/ricotta/parm pie with puff pastry crust and it was delicious. A little scorched on top because I couldn't find my parchment - think I left it at a cookie exchange last week. Anyway, I am rearing to go with many other recipes. The ideas on these pages are great but it seems like you just can't go wrong with this thing. Very happy boy here. Thanks Santa!!! :)~
__________________
Webnabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #274
Assistant Cook
 
Jos4Boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 48
So do you all use parchment paper on the tops of your pies then close the pie maker and bake?
__________________
Jos4Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #275
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Just ordered the Breville pie maker, recipe book and pie lifter.

I see many personal pies in my future!

Has anyone tried fish yet?
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #276
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5
Congratulations, Timothy! And welcome to the cult!

I haven't really thought about fish much because it doesn't seem too compatible with the kinds of foods I might get in a pie. Because of the baking temperatures (the lack of control), I would think it might overcook the fish whereas with other kinds of foods (like chicken and ground beef) you get a lot more wiggle-room.

With that said, I'm SURE that it can be done. Where there's a will there's a way. You'll have to experiment and see what you can come up with. Fish stew in a pie would probably come off just as well as any other gravy based pot pie. The key would be finding the right length of time to cook.
__________________
Webnabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #277
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webnabled View Post
Congratulations, Timothy! And welcome to the cult!

I haven't really thought about fish much because it doesn't seem too compatible with the kinds of foods I might get in a pie. Because of the baking temperatures (the lack of control), I would think it might overcook the fish whereas with other kinds of foods (like chicken and ground beef) you get a lot more wiggle-room.

With that said, I'm SURE that it can be done. Where there's a will there's a way. You'll have to experiment and see what you can come up with. Fish stew in a pie would probably come off just as well as any other gravy based pot pie. The key would be finding the right length of time to cook.
Thanks, I always wanted to be in a cult! This is the best one I can think of. I think that "Personal Pies" forum that some have been tossing around, sounds like a good thing. We could stack up a bunch of recipes in it where they would be easy to find!

5-7 day shipping...I should get it about Jan 3-4. I can't wait!
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #278
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos4Boys View Post
So do you all use parchment paper on the tops of your pies then close the pie maker and bake?
I use the dough cutter and trace around the inside and outside of the parchment paper. Cut it out. I like the tops of my pies to be golden brown. The cut outs protect the edges from over browning

Depending on what I'm cooking at the time I take the piece and place it right on top. It's the perfect fit for the crimped edges. They will still cook but it keeps them from over baking & not lose that cute crimped edge. Close and bake. You can get at least 3 uses out of one piece.

I figure If I'm feeling a little scissor happy on a particular day, I just cut out extras for later use.

Don't feel it's a must do or die thing. My kids are just a little particular about over baked crusts is all. The booklet doesn't mention using it at all. I was just at the time an experimental thing. It worked..Go figure.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #279
Assistant Cook
 
Jos4Boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 48
OK I did it, my 1st batch of banana muffins were a lil dark, 2nd batch I added choc chips to tops & pushed down then put my circle parchment paper on top, came out good. 3rd & 4th batches I put mix in cupcake liners cut down sides and used the parchment paper on top. These were a big hit with my twin sons & hubby. YEAH lol.
__________________
Jos4Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #280
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Just ordered the Breville pie maker, recipe book and pie lifter.

I see many personal pies in my future!

Has anyone tried fish yet?
HAHAA! I knew you'd join the cult. Welcome aboard!

So, really now. Was it the no Union Dues or Pandora that sucked you in?
Oh, now you've really got to try making Spanish Tortilla's in this bad boy. Absolutely awesome. Hubby got a few put in his lunch a few weeks ago. He loved it.

Munky.
__________________

__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.