"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 01-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #381
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Do you guys eat anything other than pies?
The holidays are over. So ummmm No!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #382
Executive Chef

I just tried an experient and it worked! I cut my top and bottom crusts from egg roll wrappers. I put the bottome one in adn put some shredded cheese in it. Then some diced ham and finally an egg. Then I topped it with the cut out egg roll wrapper adn cooked it 6 minutes.

It worked very will. It's a fast, inexpensive and easy way to have pie crusts! They browned very nicely too!

Old 01-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #383
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I just tried an experient and it worked! I cut my top and bottom crusts from egg roll wrappers. I put the bottome one in adn put some shredded cheese in it. Then some diced ham and finally an egg. Then I topped it with the cut out egg roll wrapper adn cooked it 6 minutes.

It worked very will. It's a fast, inexpensive and easy way to have pie crusts! They browned very nicely too!
Sounds really good Tim. Reminds me of Asian pork dumplings. Some fry, steam. You cut out a lot of work with that idea. Did you make a dipping sauce?

Thanks it's been cut, copied and stolen.

Munky.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #384
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Sounds really good Tim. Reminds me of Asian pork dumplings. Some fry, steam. You cut out a lot of work with that idea. Did you make a dipping sauce?

Thanks it's been cut, copied and stolen.

Munky.
No dipping sauce! Shame on me! I ate them "as is"!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #385
Executive Chef

OH HAPPY DAY!!! I just came home with my Breville personal pie maker! I am so happy to be in this click with the rest of you! Don't know where to start, but I am sure I will figure that out soon enough. I need to go back and re-read the entire thread tonight! :D
Old 01-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #386
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
OH HAPPY DAY!!! I just came home with my Breville personal pie maker! I am so happy to be in this click with the rest of you! Don't know where to start, but I am sure I will figure that out soon enough. I need to go back and re-read the entire thread tonight! :D
I can't wait to see what you make, this thread has been enjoyable to "watch".
Old 01-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #387
Executive Chef

Just bought another package of egg roll wrappers. They work great for almost anything. The wrapper I use is just slightly larger than the bottom crust cutter and I can get 15 pies for a $3 package of wrappers.

The egg roll wrappers are a great and inexpensive shortcut!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #388
Chef Extraordinaire

Happy reading Chopper. And Tim, they are also great to use for making your own raviolis.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #389
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Happy reading Chopper. And Tim, they are also great to use for making your own raviolis.
Thanks Addie! I've never made raviolis. Do you know if there is a recipe for them here? If not, will you post your own? thanks again!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #390
Chef Extraordinaire

Only too happy to be of help. I don't measure as I learned from an old Italian grandmoter when I was a schoolgirl. Everytime I was waiting for my girlfriend, her grandmother was cooking in the kitchen.

One container of ricotta cheese. They come in 8 and 16 oz. I would start out with the 8 oz. if I were you. The recipe makes a lot of filling. And you want the whole milk one, not the skim.

A large handful of parm and romano cheese. You can leave one out if you wish. I use just parm when it the only one I have on hand.

One large egg

One large handful of finely chopped flat leaf parsley

About 1.5 tsp each salt and pepper. Ricotta has no flavor.

One tsp. of mixed Italian herbs.

Place the ricotta in a strainer and drain. Place in bowl and add the other ingredients. Mix well with a whisk or your mixer. Hand mixer will do. Let sit covered for about 30 minutes so flavors can mel.

Open package of egg roll skins. Keep covered. Place a spoonful of mixture in middle, wet edges and place second skin on top. Press out all the air and seal all the edges by pressing hard. Make sure you get all the air out or they will explode when you go to cook them. Continue in this manner until you run out of mixture or skins. Keep the finished ones covered with a slightly damp dish towel. The skins like to dry out quickly, so you must keep them covered.

Place individual dumpling ( ravioli) on a cookie sheet covered with cornmeal. Place in freezer. When partially frozen add some cornmeal to a zippy bag and put dumplings in a single layer. The cornmeal keeps them from sticking to each other.

When you are ready to cook, put on a large pot of water. Bring to a gentle boil. Place frozen dumplings in the water one at a time. When they rise, cook for about 45 seconds more. Gently remove and serve with pasta gravy. You can cook them freshly made. Same directions. They will just cook quicker. Handle with care.

Hope this is clear. If not, let me know and I will clarify.

Tags
None