"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #451
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
A member Timothy is using egg roll wrappers as crusts, this would be a good start, since they are very low fat, and each wrapper is only 57 calories (serving size is 3 @ 170 calories).

Asian Style Egg Rolls
I would never think about trying egg roll wrappers, what a great idea. Would the be rolled out thinner?

Or has anyone tried crescent rolls as a crust? They're not as many points, but I'm afraid they might be too doughy.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #452
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazekat View Post
I would never think about trying egg roll wrappers, what a great idea. Would the be rolled out thinner?

Or has anyone tried crescent rolls as a crust? They're not as many points, but I'm afraid they might be too doughy.
Just a suggestion. Head to your local library and take out the latest WW cookbook. Since their plans change from time to time, the latest should be based on the point system. Knowing what the egg roll wrappers are already, you can find plenty of fillings. Using the wrappers, you can make main meals, snacks and desserts according to WW.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #453
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:

I think that the egg roll wrappers would be a little thinner than the pre-made rolled out pie crust.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #454
Honey Badger

Quote:

Egg roll wrappers/ Dumpling wrappers are an excellent replacement for the traditional crusts. It's cheaper to buy them, then to make them yourself. I've done it. Though they were good. It was labor intensive ( for me at the time ). All they were made from was flour, water, salt. If you want them to be a little more crisp brush on a little olive oil right after you place them in the pie maker.

I'd be willing to bet cresent rolls would bake up just fine and not doughy. People use filo dough. They're pretty light.

Flour tortillas can be used in the pie maker to.
Here's a link. MissionMenus.com :: Recipes and menus for the entire family

Maybe they have a product that will work with your point system.

Munky.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #455
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Egg roll wrappers/ Dumpling wrappers are an excellent replacement for the traditional crusts. It's cheaper to buy them, then to make them yourself. I've done it. Though they were good. It was labor intensive ( for me at the time ). All they were made from was flour, water, salt. If you want them to be a little more crisp brush on a little olive oil right after you place them in the pie maker.

I'd be willing to bet cresent rolls would bake up just fine and not doughy. People use filo dough. They're pretty light.

Flour tortillas can be used in the pie maker to.
Here's a link. MissionMenus.com :: Recipes and menus for the entire family

Maybe they have a product that will work with your point system.

Munky.
The egg roll wrappers did work perfectly for me. I just tried a 6" corn tortilla after warming/softening it in the MW. I filled the center with chili and it didn't work at all. The part the chili hit was melted into goo. What a mess I made.

I haven't tried the flour ones yet.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #456
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
The egg roll wrappers did work perfectly for me. I just tried a 6" corn tortilla after warming/softening it in the MW. I filled the center with chili and it didn't work at all. The part the chili hit was melted into goo. What a mess I made.

I haven't tried the flour ones yet.
Who says Goo is a bad thing?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #457
Executive Chef

I made apple pies tonight with puff pastry. They turned out really good-such a beautiful brown color on top! I'm still having a great time!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #458
Assistant Cook

I have missed the last few days, but it seems as though you guys have been pretty busy. I keep going to the store buying more stuff to make pies with. SO far I have made mini quiches and chicken pot pies. Today I am going to make spinach pies and either strawberry or apple pie.

It is very addicting...

The egg roll method sounds interesting. I have a bunch of refrigerator pie and phyllo dough I bought, along with some homemade crust I made, but after that is depleted, I would like to try the egg rolls.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #459
Executive Chef

I haven't bought egg roll wrapers for a long time. When I was in the store the other day I couldn't find them. Could someone please let me know where to look?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #460
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I haven't bought egg roll wrapers for a long time. When I was in the store the other day I couldn't find them. Could someone please let me know where to look?
Here they are usually in the produce department, near the tofu and tofu products.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None