"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #611
Admiral of the Texas Navy
 
forty_caliber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,412
The $49 sale did it for me. Still working out the details. This crust recipe works well and has a little less of the saturated fats than traditional crusts.

Makes enough for 8 tops and bottoms...barely


Lower-Fat Pie Crust
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Ingredients:

3 cups flour
6 tablespoons butter, cut up
4 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup water, ice cold

Directions:

1. Using metal blade, blend flour, butter, oil, baking poweder and salt in Cuisinart until crumbly.

2. Add water by dribbling and blend until ball forms. Is ok to not use it all.
__________________

__________________
"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #612
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
That sounds like a good crust! Thanks, .40!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #613
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
The $49 sale did it for me. Still working out the details. This crust recipe works well and has a little less of the saturated fats than traditional crusts.

Makes enough for 8 tops and bottoms...barely


Lower-Fat Pie Crust
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Ingredients:

3 cups flour
6 tablespoons butter, cut up
4 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup water, ice cold

Directions:

1. Using metal blade, blend flour, butter, oil, baking poweder and salt in Cuisinart until crumbly.

2. Add water by dribbling and blend until ball forms. Is ok to not use it all.
I knew it, knewwww it!
Had a feeling you were keeping in touch with this thread.

Welcome aboard.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #614
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks for the welcome and letting me climb aboard the ship, after all purple IS my favorite color!
I want to try the egg pies that you all have made soooo bad! I make my own bread, and have to make it bigger now to accomidate the size of the cutter. That sounds so awesome!
I can't get to the store right now, due to recovering from back surgery, so I sent my husband out to get some fruit fillings. He came back with alot....and Dinty Moore Stew?? I hadn't had that since I was a kid and really thought it was gross, but he wanted it in a pie. SO, I made it last night and believe it or not..it was so yummy!! (and easy!) Just opened a can and dumped it in, using the regular pie crust that Munky gave that I love so much! I also made peach pies with the canned fruit he brought home. YUMMY! We have a peach tree and it looks like we will be getting alot of peaches this year, so peach it will be this summer. I will probably be sick of them by the end of the summer....
Do you guys have the pie lifter from WS? I just ordered it, I hope it's worth it.
I wonder if I could piece my bread together and it would form in the maker? Hmmmm...I'm craving it so bad! These pies are delicous and I am so glad that I got this baby. (and yes, I do wipe the fingerprints off it..lol)
__________________
cynful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #615
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Ah yes. Fingerprint wiping is essential. But you must also sing a soft lullaby when you are done with it for the day and closing the lid.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #616
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
My Pie maker was taken over by Shrek. I have to apply ahead of time if I want to use it. I found frozen Asparagus spears in a steamable bag, I steam them first and allow to cool before using in this recipe. No crust!

My Asparagus Frittata
makes 4 pies

4 eggs
2 tsp fresh grated Parmesan
2 tbs fine diced onion
2 tbs fine diced roasted red pepper
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese

Pre-heat Pie Maker. Beat eggs, Parmesan, onion and red pepper together. Cut 8 asparagus spears to fit the pies. Pour in egg mixture, place asparagus in and close. Bake 6 minutes. Open and add Swiss cheese to each Pie, close and bake another 3-4 minutes until Swiss is melted.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #617
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My Pie maker was taken over by Shrek. I have to apply ahead of time if I want to use it. I found frozen Asparagus spears in a steamable bag, I steam them first and allow to cool before using in this recipe. No crust!

My Asparagus Frittata
makes 4 pies

4 eggs
2 tsp fresh grated Parmesan
2 tbs fine diced onion
2 tbs fine diced roasted red pepper
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese

Pre-heat Pie Maker. Beat eggs, Parmesan, onion and red pepper together. Cut 8 asparagus spears to fit the pies. Pour in egg mixture, place asparagus in and close. Bake 6 minutes. Open and add Swiss cheese to each Pie, close and bake another 3-4 minutes until Swiss is melted.
This is the first thing I'll be making--I've been waiting for the asparagus to come up...and, to move the pie maker back to the City since it is still packed....
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #618
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
This is the first thing I'll be making--I've been waiting for the asparagus to come up...and, to move the pie maker back to the City since it is still packed....
Are the girls and Rocky going with you to the City?
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #619
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,873
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynful View Post
Thanks for the welcome and letting me climb aboard the ship, after all purple IS my favorite color!
I want to try the egg pies that you all have made soooo bad! I make my own bread, and have to make it bigger now to accomidate the size of the cutter. That sounds so awesome!
I can't get to the store right now, due to recovering from back surgery, so I sent my husband out to get some fruit fillings. He came back with alot....and Dinty Moore Stew?? I hadn't had that since I was a kid and really thought it was gross, but he wanted it in a pie. SO, I made it last night and believe it or not..it was so yummy!! (and easy!) Just opened a can and dumped it in, using the regular pie crust that Munky gave that I love so much! I also made peach pies with the canned fruit he brought home. YUMMY! We have a peach tree and it looks like we will be getting alot of peaches this year, so peach it will be this summer. I will probably be sick of them by the end of the summer....
Do you guys have the pie lifter from WS? I just ordered it, I hope it's worth it.
I wonder if I could piece my bread together and it would form in the maker? Hmmmm...I'm craving it so bad! These pies are delicous and I am so glad that I got this baby. (and yes, I do wipe the fingerprints off it..lol)
You said too many peaches, I know about that. Two suggestions: Brandied peaches and peach chutney.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #620
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Peach Salsa!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.