"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 04-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #611
Admiral of the Texas Navy

The $49 sale did it for me. Still working out the details. This crust recipe works well and has a little less of the saturated fats than traditional crusts.

Makes enough for 8 tops and bottoms...barely

Lower-Fat Pie Crust
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

3 cups flour
6 tablespoons butter, cut up
4 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup water, ice cold

Directions:

1. Using metal blade, blend flour, butter, oil, baking poweder and salt in Cuisinart until crumbly.

2. Add water by dribbling and blend until ball forms. Is ok to not use it all.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #612
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That sounds like a good crust! Thanks, .40!

Old 04-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #613
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
The $49 sale did it for me. Still working out the details. This crust recipe works well and has a little less of the saturated fats than traditional crusts.

Makes enough for 8 tops and bottoms...barely

Lower-Fat Pie Crust
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

3 cups flour
6 tablespoons butter, cut up
4 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup water, ice cold

Directions:

1. Using metal blade, blend flour, butter, oil, baking poweder and salt in Cuisinart until crumbly.

2. Add water by dribbling and blend until ball forms. Is ok to not use it all.
I knew it, knewwww it!
Had a feeling you were keeping in touch with this thread.

Welcome aboard.

Munky.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #614
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the welcome and letting me climb aboard the ship, after all purple IS my favorite color!
I want to try the egg pies that you all have made soooo bad! I make my own bread, and have to make it bigger now to accomidate the size of the cutter. That sounds so awesome!
I can't get to the store right now, due to recovering from back surgery, so I sent my husband out to get some fruit fillings. He came back with alot....and Dinty Moore Stew?? I hadn't had that since I was a kid and really thought it was gross, but he wanted it in a pie. SO, I made it last night and believe it or not..it was so yummy!! (and easy!) Just opened a can and dumped it in, using the regular pie crust that Munky gave that I love so much! I also made peach pies with the canned fruit he brought home. YUMMY! We have a peach tree and it looks like we will be getting alot of peaches this year, so peach it will be this summer. I will probably be sick of them by the end of the summer....
Do you guys have the pie lifter from WS? I just ordered it, I hope it's worth it.
I wonder if I could piece my bread together and it would form in the maker? Hmmmm...I'm craving it so bad! These pies are delicous and I am so glad that I got this baby. (and yes, I do wipe the fingerprints off it..lol)
Old 04-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #615
Chef Extraordinaire

Ah yes. Fingerprint wiping is essential. But you must also sing a soft lullaby when you are done with it for the day and closing the lid.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #616
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My Pie maker was taken over by Shrek. I have to apply ahead of time if I want to use it. I found frozen Asparagus spears in a steamable bag, I steam them first and allow to cool before using in this recipe. No crust!

My Asparagus Frittata
makes 4 pies

4 eggs
2 tsp fresh grated Parmesan
2 tbs fine diced onion
2 tbs fine diced roasted red pepper
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese

Pre-heat Pie Maker. Beat eggs, Parmesan, onion and red pepper together. Cut 8 asparagus spears to fit the pies. Pour in egg mixture, place asparagus in and close. Bake 6 minutes. Open and add Swiss cheese to each Pie, close and bake another 3-4 minutes until Swiss is melted.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #617
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My Pie maker was taken over by Shrek. I have to apply ahead of time if I want to use it. I found frozen Asparagus spears in a steamable bag, I steam them first and allow to cool before using in this recipe. No crust!

My Asparagus Frittata
makes 4 pies

4 eggs
2 tsp fresh grated Parmesan
2 tbs fine diced onion
2 tbs fine diced roasted red pepper
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese

Pre-heat Pie Maker. Beat eggs, Parmesan, onion and red pepper together. Cut 8 asparagus spears to fit the pies. Pour in egg mixture, place asparagus in and close. Bake 6 minutes. Open and add Swiss cheese to each Pie, close and bake another 3-4 minutes until Swiss is melted.
This is the first thing I'll be making--I've been waiting for the asparagus to come up...and, to move the pie maker back to the City since it is still packed....
Old 04-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #618
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
This is the first thing I'll be making--I've been waiting for the asparagus to come up...and, to move the pie maker back to the City since it is still packed....
Are the girls and Rocky going with you to the City?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #619
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynful View Post
Thanks for the welcome and letting me climb aboard the ship, after all purple IS my favorite color!
I want to try the egg pies that you all have made soooo bad! I make my own bread, and have to make it bigger now to accomidate the size of the cutter. That sounds so awesome!
I can't get to the store right now, due to recovering from back surgery, so I sent my husband out to get some fruit fillings. He came back with alot....and Dinty Moore Stew?? I hadn't had that since I was a kid and really thought it was gross, but he wanted it in a pie. SO, I made it last night and believe it or not..it was so yummy!! (and easy!) Just opened a can and dumped it in, using the regular pie crust that Munky gave that I love so much! I also made peach pies with the canned fruit he brought home. YUMMY! We have a peach tree and it looks like we will be getting alot of peaches this year, so peach it will be this summer. I will probably be sick of them by the end of the summer....
Do you guys have the pie lifter from WS? I just ordered it, I hope it's worth it.
I wonder if I could piece my bread together and it would form in the maker? Hmmmm...I'm craving it so bad! These pies are delicous and I am so glad that I got this baby. (and yes, I do wipe the fingerprints off it..lol)
You said too many peaches, I know about that. Two suggestions: Brandied peaches and peach chutney.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #620
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Peach Salsa!

Tags
None