"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #721
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
MADDDDDD why no WAHAAAAA
kades
I must get back to the la bora tory. Igor is waiting for me.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #722
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
No cherries or cherry Poe filling in the house! :(
I'm in the middle of making apple pies and lemon pies! :D
Life is still good! We are having Mini pies!
__________________

__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #723
Sous Chef
 
Chef Maloney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: S.California
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Yea, another one! When you start experimenting, be sure to post the results for us!
OK. I thought I would have time today to experiment. Doesn't look like I will. I want to try a Chicken w/Mango recipe I have in an asian cookbook. Will have to adapt a bit to thicken for the filling. I think the butter puff recipe from Munky will be my first attempt for the shell. I think I can... I think I can... chugga chugga we'll see
__________________
Chef Maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #724
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney
OK. I thought I would have time today to experiment. Doesn't look like I will. I want to try a Chicken w/Mango recipe I have in an asian cookbook. Will have to adapt a bit to thicken for the filling. I think the butter puff recipe from Munky will be my first attempt for the shell. I think I can... I think I can... chugga chugga we'll see
I can't wait until you do!!!
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #725
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 2,954
"This is KRAaZy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
I started reading this thread at around 10am. I got to page 22. Shut down the computer. Drove 25 miles to WS in Valencia, CA. Bought the gosh-darned pie machine thingy (plus the pie lifter). Read the manual cover 2 cover. Seasoned the machine with vege oyL. Sat down exhausted. Got called away.... BoooHooHoooo.... Tomorrow will try the chik'n-a-potta-pie recipe. Thanx loads everybody. I am going mad. I think. Still reading the threads. Can't wait!!!!!!! (by the way WS had the maker for $79)

Ha ha ha They got you too ! I fell under the influence of the Mother Ship this summer and was transported via the Purple Haze to WS one day too. I got as Far as Page 5 before hauling myself up and out of my chair and beamed to WS. I had the advantage of looking at the thread as it developed although not really paying close enough attention as it went along. My singular intent was to Merely read the thread, but there I was, transported to WS.

At the time, I asked If it might make Popovers after seeing someone make Cream Puffs. IF I would have read further down the page before getting transported off, I would have seen the next entry was indeed Yorkshire Puddings.

I still want to make popovers.

And I want to make more little quiches. Now that the weather has cooled and its safe to use the oven again, I keep thinking to make a big quiche. But the Breville, keeps attracting me to make little ones. Great for leftover bits of this n' that. And I have a mini frittata recipe I want to try that has mascarpone and prosciutto in it ( neither of which seem to make my grocery list). And I've never used puff pastry for anything in my life, so I gotta try using this too. Like you say, this is KRAaZy !!
__________________
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #726
Sous Chef
 
Chef Maloney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: S.California
Posts: 455
hahaha Whiskadoodle, this is so funny. & fun. Good ideas. Wish I could do it all in one night and eat it all in one night and enjoy it all. It's too much!
__________________
Chef Maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #727
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 2,954
Well, they are little- Mini Pies
__________________
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #728
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
I started reading this thread at around 10am. I got to page 22. Shut down the computer. Drove 25 miles to WS in Valencia, CA. Bought the gosh-darned pie machine thingy (plus the pie lifter). Read the manual cover 2 cover. Seasoned the machine with vege oyL. Sat down exhausted. Got called away.... BoooHooHoooo.... Tomorrow will try the chik'n-a-potta-pie recipe. Thanx loads everybody. I am going mad. I think. Still reading the threads. Can't wait!!!!!!! (by the way WS had the maker for $79)
Welcome to the Cult, we've been expecting you. I knew it wouldn't have taken you long to find us. I saw your post for the Grill. It was just a matter of time I'm jealous.

We've been a little bad around here. Were up to 3 separate sections for this beauty. Page 22 must have been a goodie. Guess I should jump back and have a look see again.

It's ok to go mad. Were good at getting people to that state. The Cult works like that. There still isn't a 1-800 # yet to seek help when your obsessed with wiping the prints off, talking to it while your working. Some day we will. I don't think anyone's going to step up to the plate for that job.

I've had mine going on 2 years now. It has yet to get put away.
Enjoy your pie maker. Looking forward to seeing your recipes.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:48 AM   #729
Sous Chef
 
Chef Maloney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: S.California
Posts: 455
Second Wind

"hahaha Munky"
I got a second wind and decided to try out the pie maker tonight for the first time. I used Munky's Butter Puff recipe for the crust, top & bottom. I made the top crust a bit thicker than the bottom. For the RISE to the top. Which it did.
I could never have done this so perfectly the first time without reading ALL of your threads beforehand. I made the filling using left-over rotisserie chicken and ripe mango. First I made a roux in a skililet with flour and butter until lightly browned. I added 1 cup cooked chicken cut into cubes. 1/2 cup frozen mixed veges. One whole clove garlic, chopped. 1 Tblsp. fresh ginger, chopped. 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cooked and whisked until slightly thickened. I added 1/2 cup ripe mango, cut into 1/2" pieces right at the end and turned off the heat. I did exactly as you all prescribed, using the cut parchment paper on the edges of the crust. That really helped. The crust would have burned otherwise. The pies came out perfectly the very first time! I can't wait to try some other recipes in this thing! Thank you all. Wish you all well. I love DC and all it's members. So glad I found you!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
 
__________________
Chef Maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #730
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
"hahaha Munky"
I got a second wind and decided to try out the pie maker tonight for the first time. I used Munky's Butter Puff recipe for the crust, top & bottom. I made the top crust a bit thicker than the bottom. For the RISE to the top. Which it did.
I could never have done this so perfectly the first time without reading ALL of your threads beforehand. I made the filling using left-over rotisserie chicken and ripe mango. First I made a roux in a skililet with flour and butter until lightly browned. I added 1 cup cooked chicken cut into cubes. 1/2 cup frozen mixed veges. One whole clove garlic, chopped. 1 Tblsp. fresh ginger, chopped. 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cooked and whisked until slightly thickened. I added 1/2 cup ripe mango, cut into 1/2" pieces right at the end and turned off the heat. I did exactly as you all prescribed, using the cut parchment paper on the edges of the crust. That really helped. The crust would have burned otherwise. The pies came out perfectly the very first time! I can't wait to try some other recipes in this thing! Thank you all. Wish you all well. I love DC and all it's members. So glad I found you!!!!!!!!
We love you too. Just make sure you are wearing your purple apron and purple cookinig slippers.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.