"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-14-2012, 02:22 AM   #731
Sous Chef

haha thanks Addie! I got in a hurry and forgot to mention that I made the crust in the food processor, pulsing after each addition of butter. It was done in no time. It came out great. I also chopped 1 Tblsp. of fresh chili peppers and added that with the mango. Gave it a nice Thai 'kick'. I checked the pies after 10, 12, 15, and finally the pies were perfect after 18 minutes in the maker. XOxo Chef Maloney

Old 10-14-2012, 06:04 AM   #732
Executive Chef

Ta-da Chef Maloney !! Those look terrific. Your chef stripes just went up a few notches too when you included a chili pepper and enough ginger to provide flavor balance and contrast with the fruit and chicken main ingredients.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #733
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Beautiful Pies, Maloney! Now you will know what to do with leftovers.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #734
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I have a mini frittata recipe I want to try that has mascarpone and prosciutto in it ( neither of which seem to make my grocery list). And I've never used puff pastry for anything in my life, so I gotta try using this too. Like you say, this is KRAaZy !!
I would like the recipe for the frittata that has mascarpone and proscuitto in it--happen to have both in the fridge. This is KRAaZy!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #735
Executive Chef

Thanks for sharing! That sounds and looks great! You are official!
Old 10-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #736
Executive Chef

forgive me if i'm repeating myself, but this is absolutely the BEST thread of this whole forum! (better than any of the last four books i have read) :) it should be suggested reading for all new members

...and i don't even DO pies, of any shape or size...yet :)
Old 10-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #737
Sous Chef

"fun pies"

haha... I too find this thread very entertaining. In my mind this little pie maker has replaced the 'Susie HomeMaker' oven, and the MateL 'ThingMaker' we used when I was a kid. These 'Adult Toys' have improved as we've gotten older. These little pies are DeeLish. Of course most of you are probably too young to remember those earlyl-on kids toys from the 60's. I remember graduating from the 'ThingMaker' to the 'Incredible Edible ThingMaker' (you would pour the edible goop into a mold, bake it, and eat the bugs you created) hahaha. No Lie. I wonder why that hasn't come back around. (maybe I should try a bug pie)
Old 10-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #738
Executive Chef

Ok, I put the Prosciiutto/ Mascarpone Frittata recipe in the Savory Mini Pie Recipe thread.

Savory Mini Pies - Tips, Ideas and Recipes

I have not made this ... Yet. I already see I'd be adding some herbs and does this look like not enough cheese or mascarpone? Well, 4 eggs for you CWS. Get crackin' and put those girls to work.

And since October is breast cancer awareness month, and even though it's not mine to give, but to share and pass along, the frittatas are in honor of ta-tas. No foolin'.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #739
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
"hahaha Munky"
I got a second wind and decided to try out the pie maker tonight for the first time. I used Munky's Butter Puff recipe for the crust, top & bottom. I made the top crust a bit thicker than the bottom. For the RISE to the top. Which it did.
I could never have done this so perfectly the first time without reading ALL of your threads beforehand. I made the filling using left-over rotisserie chicken and ripe mango. First I made a roux in a skililet with flour and butter until lightly browned. I added 1 cup cooked chicken cut into cubes. 1/2 cup frozen mixed veges. One whole clove garlic, chopped. 1 Tblsp. fresh ginger, chopped. 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cooked and whisked until slightly thickened. I added 1/2 cup ripe mango, cut into 1/2" pieces right at the end and turned off the heat. I did exactly as you all prescribed, using the cut parchment paper on the edges of the crust. That really helped. The crust would have burned otherwise. The pies came out perfectly the very first time! I can't wait to try some other recipes in this thing! Thank you all. Wish you all well. I love DC and all it's members. So glad I found you!!!!!!!!
Your compliments just made my day Chef Maloney. Thank you
When I first got mine a few things that were crossing my mind to pull this all off. Besides thinking of recipes for it.

1.) Win at the bargaining table.. Apparently I'm good at playing poker.

2.) Make it as practical and useful for everyone at all levels to enjoy. No matter what your baking skills are or aren't. Economics/ ingredients factored in as well. Work/ family schedules. Well you get my point.

3.) The biggest. Make sure it's all kept in a very comfortable fun atmosphere. Ok, I'll play nice as long as nobody blares any ABBA! over Pandora.

Your pies look wonderful. Great job! Mine didn't look that good my first time out. Keep em' coming!

Have fun Fellow Brevellian!

Munky.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #740
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My Piemaker was taken over by Shrek...I wonder if it's because he never had an Easy-Bake oven. Keeps him busy!

Tags
None