"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #741
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My Piemaker was taken over by Shrek...I wonder if it's because he never had an Easy-Bake oven. Keeps him busy!
Oh you poor thing. Shrek must have been busy playing with his Evel Knievel stunt cycle set. Those were fun!

Calvin's Canadian Cave of Coolness: Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle

My husband teases me over mine. Humms a Hollies tune. "Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress.." She's got her Pie makerrr.. Working for the Brevellians... Long Cool Woman had it alll.

What can I say? Blame it on the age gap...

Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #742
Sous Chef

Canned Pie Fillings

Did someone on here say that the canned pie fillings (Duncan Hines, Comstock) contained too much liquid? Should I drain some liquid or should I maybe heat and add some cornstarch? I don't remember where the post is.Thanks.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #743
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
Did someone on here say that the canned pie fillings (Duncan Hines, Comstock) contained too much liquid? Should I drain some liquid or should I maybe heat and add some cornstarch? I don't remember where the post is.Thanks.
Could have been me. I tried the Comstock un drained. The recommended amounts 1/3 C was too much liquid for each pie. They leaked out & all over.

You don't have to go through the hassle of actually taking the juice filling out using a colander. Fill the dough with just cherries. Then enough juice about 2 teaspoons to cover the fruit. You don't need to heat the filling first.
Top if you want and bake.

Having fun yet? What kind of pie are you making?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #744
Sous Chef

Thanks Chef Munky. I am having lots of fun. Not baking any fruit pies yet but I did buy a can of blueberry and a can of cherry pie filling (comstock) at the market today just in case I get another wild-hair in the middle of the night. Thinking of baking the small remainder of your crust recipe (which I saved in the fridge) The crust was the best part of my dinner last night. Maybe I'll just roll the dough into sticks, bake & dip into the cans of fruit hahaha
Old 10-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #745
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
My Piemaker was taken over by Shrek...I wonder if it's because he never had an Easy-Bake oven. Keeps him busy!
I SO wanted an easy bake oven when I was a kid. Instead, I got the little pans and little mixes and used the big oven. I started baking and cooking in regular sized pans when I was about eight years old.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #746
Executive Chef

Funny....I have gone back to making little pies!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #747
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My Easy-Bake oven didn't last long...I wanted to cook and bake for real. Mom was happy to pass the duty on, she hates to cook.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:34 AM   #748
Chef Extraordinaire

They look fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
"hahaha Munky"
I got a second wind and decided to try out the pie maker tonight for the first time. I used Munky's Butter Puff recipe for the crust, top & bottom. I made the top crust a bit thicker than the bottom. For the RISE to the top. Which it did.
I could never have done this so perfectly the first time without reading ALL of your threads beforehand. I made the filling using left-over rotisserie chicken and ripe mango. First I made a roux in a skililet with flour and butter until lightly browned. I added 1 cup cooked chicken cut into cubes. 1/2 cup frozen mixed veges. One whole clove garlic, chopped. 1 Tblsp. fresh ginger, chopped. 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cooked and whisked until slightly thickened. I added 1/2 cup ripe mango, cut into 1/2" pieces right at the end and turned off the heat. I did exactly as you all prescribed, using the cut parchment paper on the edges of the crust. That really helped. The crust would have burned otherwise. The pies came out perfectly the very first time! I can't wait to try some other recipes in this thing! Thank you all. Wish you all well. I love DC and all it's members. So glad I found you!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #749
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

What spell is it that the mini pies possess? I am not a fan of specialty appliances at all.

I was into target picking up some Mucinex for my SO, and as usual I took a walk through the kitchen section. Guess what they had on clearance? The Sunbeam mini pie maker(4 slot) for $8.98!!!! At that price I thought that it would be fun to try.

Maybe I'll make some tomorrow...

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #750
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
What spell is it that the mini pies possess? I am not a fan of specialty appliances at all.

I was into target picking up some Mucinex for my SO, and as usual I took a walk through the kitchen section. Guess what they had on clearance? The Sunbeam mini pie maker(4 slot) for $8.98!!!! At that price I thought that it would be fun to try.

Maybe I'll make some tomorrow...
It is the color purple and the fact that it is a cult!

Tags
None