"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #791
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We are everywhere!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #792
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
Wish you were here to share these BlackBerry Pies. I thank someone here for the idea of using a small water bottle top to create a vent for the pies. I made the classic crisco crust (buttery) I forgot to put the parchment paper until halfway through baking but they came out fine. I used the comstock blackberry pie filling right from the can. Filled the pies nearly full. Baked for 17 minutes. Did someone say I can use pizza crust in here too? Uh oh. Mini deep dish pizza? Filled with cheese? Sausage? Pepperoni? Cheese? Wonderful cheese.
They look brilliant Chef

Old 10-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #793
Chef Extraordinaire

BC...lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I've been playing with the pie machine today, and I'll be darned it IS a fun little gadget!

First I made apple pies

And I had my doubts that pecan pie would cook in 10-11 minutes, but I was successful!

With the apple pie, I made a filling by cooking the apples in a bit of butter, added sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch, cooked that until thick. Then a lightbulb went on and I remembered that I had some dolce de leche so I mixed that in too, the filling was great! I used homemade pie crust and it came out beautifully flaky.

For the pecan, I was just curious to see if it would work so I ran to the store and got some pillsbury pre-made crusts. I used the recipe on the Karo bottle. This made 11 mini pies. Each crust made 4 pies, and I gathered the scraps and rolled out 3 more. I may have gotten another crust if I had tried, there would have been enough filling for 1 more.

I liked the homemade crust best, it didn't brown as quickly and tastes a lot better, but the pre-made was easy to work with and quick.

Had to take pictures with my phone because all of my batteries are dead for my good camera.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #794
Chef Extraordinaire

I think every recipe for the pie maker should start with "Tear a piece of parchment paper large enough to cover pie top". Then since this piece of parchment can be reused, furthere instruction should state that it can be saved and stored inside the pie maker.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #795
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I think every recipe for the pie maker should start with "Tear a piece of parchment paper large enough to cover pie top". Then since this piece of parchment can be reused, furthere instruction should state that it can be saved and stored inside the pie maker.
Addie,
like your idea and will do that for myself. I hope other grab this idea and run with it.
kades
Old 10-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #796
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Addie,
like your idea and will do that for myself. I hope other grab this idea and run with it.
kades
So do I. It seems so wasteful to tear off a piece for just one use and then toss it when it can be used more than once. Also due to the width of the roll, you should be able to get at least two pieces out of each cut piece.

When I make cookies, I always reuse the sheet more than once when I am going to reuse the cookie sheet pan again the same day.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #797
Executive Chef

Hi,

Please refresh for me again the purpose for using parchment :

A. Is it to keep tops from browning too fast or too much?

B. Is it to keep pie filling from leaking all over the pie maker?

C. Is it used if making a bottom crust only pie-- such as a quiche or pumpkin piie?

I have had a couple pies get a little done on top. I discovered I should check sooner. It doesn't seem to matter if you peak, it possibly may slow things down a little, but not like no jumping in the kithchen or opening the oven door when making a cake. I have not had any leakage and my quiches turned out ok. I know I am out of parchment and it's on the grocery list for next month shopping. I have white butcher/ freezer paper, but that seems a little heavy. Thanks for your comments.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #798
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, the parchment let's you cook it a bit longer and keep the tops from over browning.

I also use strips of parchment under cookie crust pies and cheesecakes...helps lift them up without breaking the crust.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #799
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
Yes, the parchment let's you cook it a bit longer and keep the tops from over browning.

I also use strips of parchment under cookie crust pies and cheesecakes...helps lift them up without breaking the crust.
Strips of parchment paper under the pies ...brilliant!!! Thanks for that idea. That is what I needed last time I made lemon pies. Thanks again.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #800
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Strips of parchment paper under the pies ...brilliant!!! Thanks for that idea. That is what I needed last time I made lemon pies. Thanks again.
4 inch wide parchment, folded over to 2 inches for strength. Cross two of them across the bottom. Leave at least two inches above on each so it's easy to pick up.

I remembered this trick from baking a character cake that had to be picked up and placed on a different surface. We had decorated it on the counter Oops!

Tags
None