"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #811
Sous Chef

I really don't care for the silicone bakeware. I purchased a silicone mini muffin and it's now in my goodwill pile. It even has a metal supporting frame but I still don't care for it.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #812
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
I really don't care for the silicone bakeware. I purchased a silicone mini muffin and it's now in my goodwill pile. It even has a metal supporting frame but I still don't care for it.
I use my silicone muffin thingee (for small, but not mini muffins) to freeze stock. The chunks pop out really easily, since the silicone is so flexible. Then I put the chunks in an empty, plastic, 1.8 litre (~2quart) Hellman's jar and put it back in the freezer. The plastic jar doesn't feel nearly as cold as glass.

I haven't been able to find any of those muffin bakers for a while. I was actually thinking of ordering the mini pie maker to use for freezing stuff.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #813
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I use my silicone muffin thingee (for small, but not mini muffins) to freeze stock. The chunks pop out really easily, since the silicone is so flexible. Then I put the chunks in an empty, plastic, 1.8 litre (~2quart) Hellman's jar and put it back in the freezer. The plastic jar doesn't feel nearly as cold as glass.

I haven't been able to find any of those muffin bakers for a while. I was actually thinking of ordering the mini pie maker to use for freezing stuff.
Now that sounds like a winning idea. At least they have a good use in that way. Good thinking. But you have to have a clear bottom in the freezer to set them down. My freezer is a disaster area. No matter how many times I straighten it out, the first times I take something out, it is always at the back. Grrrr.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #814
Sous Chef

Really Taxlady, that is ingenious. I just may remove that silicone marvel from the goodwill pile hehe :<)
Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #815
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I've gotta make some stuff to donate to a bake sale, I'm going to make some mini pies!

My partner said, "you're going to make homemade crust right?" "The pillsbury stuff that you used just can't compare!" I used the pillsbury as a quick trial run of pecan pies. I made homemade crust for the apple pies.

He's a crust fan, and I think that I have turned him into a pie crust snob! There was a day when he wouldn't have known the difference, I don't think that anyone ever made him homemade crust.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #816
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Yes they do bend. Floppy little things. Too much for my tastes.
Depending on the filling and what you want the pie's outcome to be, just moving it can ruin the whole effect.
They are easy to clean though.

If you place them on a sturdy cookie sheet you shouldn't have any problems.
Do that before you bake them. That way you avoid the risk of the filling spilling out and burning you.
Cheers Munky for all the info
Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #817
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Yes they do bend. Floppy little things. Too much for my tastes.
Depending on the filling and what you want the pie's outcome to be, just moving it can ruin the whole effect.
They are easy to clean though.

If you place them on a sturdy cookie sheet you shouldn't have any problems.
Do that before you bake them. That way you avoid the risk of the filling spilling out and burning you.
Munky, I didn't find mine easy to clean. I did spray it with non-stick so maybe that's why. The stuff gets gunky on there and is nearly impossible to get off.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #818
Honey Badger

Quote:
Munky, I didn't find mine easy to clean. I did spray it with non-stick so maybe that's why. The stuff gets gunky on there and is nearly impossible to get off.
Oh, did I forget to tell you why?

I don't do the dishes. If I see something that's not cleaned right. I send it back.

They got the idea REAL quick
Old 11-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #819
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
That doesnt sound very good
Old 11-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #820
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Now that sounds like a winning idea. At least they have a good use in that way. Good thinking. But you have to have a clear bottom in the freezer to set them down. My freezer is a disaster area. No matter how many times I straighten it out, the first times I take something out, it is always at the back. Grrrr.
Clear area in the freezer?

I put it on a small cookie sheet and find a place where I can balance it and it's level.

Tags
None