"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 12-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #861
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Interesting observation. Maybe it depends on how hard you mash?

I prefer the older one for several reasons. The hoops are closer together, the fat gets cut to the right size faster, the more flexible hoops conform to whatever the curve of my bowl is, the hoops extend around the sides of the tool so you can use the side of the bowl as well as the bottom and finally because well... sometimes old seems better. Channeling my grandmas pie is a good thing ;)

I have made crust in the food processor but find that it's easy to overwork the dough and frankly, the old way only takes about a minute. Getting the processor out and then cleaning it up after takes too long and is more work than just doing it the old fashioned way.

Ditto! I like the hands on work. I get a lot of satisfaction working with my hands. That tool is also great for mixing biscuits.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #862
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

You can FP the flour and fat as much as you want...but as soon as you add the water, take it out of the FP.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #863
Cupcake

Wow! I have the force to try to make and bake this weekend! I'm bouncy now. Thank you all for the suggestions!
Old 12-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #864
Honey Badger

Where are the Bravillians lately?

Well mine saved Thanksgiving.Hubby now says it was money well spent.
Can I say told you so now?

Our oven was out so I used the huge electric roaster to make the turkey.The ignighter went out on it.The new one arrived yesterday.Will be fixed by tonight.
Gotta say it was the best turkey I've ever made.We don't eat the skin.It does brown and crisp up the thigh,legs and wings.You will get plenty of drippings for gravy.

The piemaker was a hit.We had mini pumpkin pies.I was able to prebake the shells for one of my sons favorite chocolate pies.

Hubby likes his stuffing from the bird mixed with the dry.So I did that then used the piemaker to crisp them up.Yes we had mini stuffing hockey pucks.But they were good.Gone by the next day.

I got my fair share this time around.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #865
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

That's awesome! Of course the oven would go out just before Thanksgiving!

My boss brought in one of those electric roasters and we cooked the work turkey in it last year, I was amazed how well it worked, it was just a cheap one made by GE.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #866
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

My boss brought in one of those electric roasters and we cooked the work turkey in it last year, I was amazed how well it worked, it was just a cheap one made by GE.
Yes it had a lot of nerve.I had plenty of time to get someone out to have a look at it.But the last time I did that was for the dishwasher.It cost me $190.00.Because were rural as they said.They can add cheap customers to.The part was $20.00 on ebay.A fix it yourself job.We will.

The roaster I used was was the Hamilton Beach large capacity model.
The roaster did a fantastic job.The directions were another Thanksgiving dinner fiasco not to follow somebody else's directions.Not to even mention or talk about for years to come.Started a 20 Lb bird at 11:00 am.We ate at 9:30 pm.

It all worked out.These guys were "Thankful" Mom was finally fed and got uncranky.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #867
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

I have two of them. I love being able to cook the turkey in it and use the oven for other things, or, in the summer (I cook turkey all year around), I put it on the deck. Great way to cook a turkey (or something else) without heating the house. I use it for making tomato paste. Again, it goes either on the deck or in the summer kitchen.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #868
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I made tamale crusts to serve chili in the other day. Shrek makes little fruit pies quite often. He's always asking me to bring home a couple of peaches, apples or whatever.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:14 AM   #869
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I made tamale crusts to serve chili in the other day. Shrek makes little fruit pies quite often. He's always asking me to bring home a couple of peaches, apples or whatever.
Can I borrow him? We have a warm desert climate here now, and I promise to send him back.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:23 AM   #870
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I might let you keep him...

Tags
None