Breville's Personal Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Catching up on everything at home. I think the mail man got a little testy with my box.
Crammed into a pile of fliers was the new Williams and Sonoma Catalog. Or you can see it online. Aww how cute they have a Deep Dish Pizza recipe :LOL:
Breville Pie Maker | Williams-Sonoma

The Brevilles are on sale *exclusive - for $99.95 normal retail price is $150.00.. ouch!
I think somebody's been listening. They now have a mini pie book 96 pages-40 recipes- Hardcover- $19.95.

Just what I've been wanting most a Chef'n Mini Pie Lifter $12.95.

That is so going to be mine! No more worries about scratching the pie maker or accidentally pulling the tops off. Hoping I don't drop it off of the spatula. It happened a few times.

Munky.

Definitely suspicious. I found another brand of mini pie maker (not sure what brand) in another catalog. It was $59...and looked totally cheesy. With a little common sense, I really don't need much in the way of a cookbook for it.

Tomorrow, we are doing some taco pies in some masa shells. Will top with our favorite taco fillings, cheese, sourcream, lettuce tomatoes...

Bed Bath and Beyond has a pie maker by babycakes (I think) and Target has one by Sunbeam, both for $29.99. Their interior looks exactly like the Breville, but the exterior is no where near the quality of the Breville. But for 1/3 the price, might be worth giving a try.

Catching up on everything at home. I think the mail man got a little testy with my box.
Crammed into a pile of fliers was the new Williams and Sonoma Catalog. Or you can see it online. Aww how cute they have a Deep Dish Pizza recipe :LOL:
Breville Pie Maker | Williams-Sonoma

The Brevilles are on sale *exclusive - for $99.95 normal retail price is $150.00.. ouch!
I think somebody's been listening. They now have a mini pie book 96 pages-40 recipes- Hardcover- $19.95.

Just what I've been wanting most a Chef'n Mini Pie Lifter $12.95.

That is so going to be mine! No more worries about scratching the pie maker or accidentally pulling the tops off. Hoping I don't drop it off of the spatula. It happened a few times.

Munky.
Got the dookbook and the spatula for me well worth the money. and that spatula works so great.
kades

Definitely suspicious. I found another brand of mini pie maker (not sure what brand) in another catalog. It was $59...and looked totally cheesy. With a little common sense, I really don't need much in the way of a cookbook for it.

Tomorrow, we are doing some taco pies in some masa shells. Will top with our favorite taco fillings, cheese, sourcream, lettuce tomatoes...

Is dinner done yet? That sounds really good. :chef:
How do you make the masa shells? Are they taco bowls?

Munky.

Bed Bath and Beyond has a pie maker by babycakes (I think) and Target has one by Sunbeam, both for $29.99. Their interior looks exactly like the Breville, but the exterior is no where near the quality of the Breville. But for 1/3 the price, might be worth giving a try.

The exterior of them reminds me of the Easy Bake Ovens.. Cheesy colors..
PM-44 - Pie Makers - Products - Babycakes

What's a Whoopie Pie?

For $30.00 it might be worth trying..Don't drop it..:LOL:

Munky.

Is dinner done yet? That sounds really good. :chef:
How do you make the masa shells? Are they taco bowls?

Munky.

I used masa from my last batch of tamales, using the pusher, I just put a ball of masa in each pie indent and squished to form. They were about 1/8th inch thick and let them steam in the piemaker for 5 minutes before filling the shells and topping with cheese.

They are delicious!

Tamale Masa...I use the recipe on the Maseca brand of Instant Corn masa mix.

Last edited:
I used masa from my last batch of tamales, using the pusher, I just put a ball of masa in each pie indent and squished to form. They were about 1/8th inch thick and let them steam in the piemaker for 5 minutes before filling the shells and topping with cheese.

They are delicious!

Tamale Masa...I use the recipe on the Maseca brand of Instant Corn masa mix.

Ahhhh!! I was thinking Tamale. That's a clever recipe. I bet they are delicious.. Does the masa get a little crispy? Baking time 10 min or so? Do they need a top?

I'm hungry and don't have a clue what to make for dinner. But I do have a bag of masa in the fridge.. Same kind as yours.

Munky

Ahhhh!! I was thinking Tamale. That's a clever recipe. I bet they are delicious.. Does the masa get a little crispy? Baking time 10 min or so? Do they need a top?

I'm hungry and don't have a clue what to make for dinner. But I do have a bag of masa in the fridge.. Same kind as yours.

Munky

Little crispy on the bottom, they hold their shape well, no top. Once filled, I baked them for ten before putting the cheese on to melt.

Chef Munky said:
The exterior of them reminds me of the Easy Bake Ovens.. Cheesy colors..
PM-44 - Pie Makers - Products - Babycakes

What's a Whoopie Pie?

For $30.00 it might be worth trying..Don't drop it..:LOL:

Munky.

Oh my goodness, you've never had a whoopie pie?

Where I grew up in maine, they are practically a food group!

They are two cake-like cookies with a fluffy buttercream in the middle, often the buttercream is made with marshmallow fluff and the cookies are chocolate. There are lots of variations, red velvet, pumpkin etc...

Princess,
Just made some. These are absolutely fantastic! How's that for timing?
I cheated a little bit. Took a few hamburgers that I grilled this morning. Crumbled them up. Make a quick batch of chili sauce. Mixed both together. followed your instructions.
These taste so much like Tamales. Had I thought to do so black olives would have been a nice touch. Call it mini enchilada pie :chef:

Thank you for the recipe. It's definitely a keeper. Quick and easy to make

Munky.

Oh my goodness, you've never had a whoopie pie?

Where I grew up in maine, they are practically a food group!

They are two cake-like cookies with a fluffy buttercream in the middle, often the buttercream is made with marshmallow fluff and the cookies are chocolate. There are lots of variations, red velvet, pumpkin etc...

I've never heard of them before until today. :ROFLMAO:

Munky.

Princess,
Just made some. These are absolutely fantastic! How's that for timing?
I cheated a little bit. Took a few hamburgers that I grilled this morning. Crumbled them up. Make a quick batch of chili sauce. Mixed both together. followed your instructions.
These taste so much like Tamales. Had I thought to do so black olives would have been a nice touch. Call it mini enchilada pie :chef:

Thank you for the recipe. It's definitely a keeper. Quick and easy to make

Munky.

Great, I'm doing shredded chicken next. And I think I will try pork and salsa verde, made with tomatillos.

Rips and Tears

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm having with my pie maker. I've been through all the posts in this thread looking for an answer, but no joy. (But BIG joy over all the recipes! Looks like we are going to be eating pie for at least a couple of weeks!)

Anyway, here's my problem. I put the bottom pastry on top of the hole where it's going to go then use the "pusher" to push it into the cavity. As soon as I start pushing on it, it starts ripping and tearing (the pastry dough--not the pusher). I usually wind up with a small circle of dough on the bottom of the cavity, a bunch of empty space around the side, and dough around the upper third of the cavity. I then spend five minutes "repairing" the rips and tears with pieces of dough stuck in and pressed with a wooden spoon--learned real quick not to touch!

Can you please oh please share with me how you get your bottom circle of dough to go in without ripping and tearing and patching?

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm having with my pie maker. I've been through all the posts in this thread looking for an answer, but no joy. (But BIG joy over all the recipes! Looks like we are going to be eating pie for at least a couple of weeks!)

Anyway, here's my problem. I put the bottom pastry on top of the hole where it's going to go then use the "pusher" to push it into the cavity. As soon as I start pushing on it, it starts ripping and tearing (the pastry dough--not the pusher). I usually wind up with a small circle of dough on the bottom of the cavity, a bunch of empty space around the side, and dough around the upper third of the cavity. I then spend five minutes "repairing" the rips and tears with pieces of dough stuck in and pressed with a wooden spoon--learned real quick not to touch!

Can you please oh please share with me how you get your bottom circle of dough to go in without ripping and tearing and patching?

Welcome to DC Plvannest It's great to have you here. One more and we officially have a Pie Cult. Now all we need is to choose a color for our Mother ship :LOL:

I had the same problem as you when I first got mine. Would you mind posting your crust recipe, what were you making? It sounds to me like the dough was either too cold or not moist enough to roll. Use the larger side of the cutter for your bottom crusts.

I no longer use the pusher. It's to me a waste. Even dipping it in flour didn't help. The dough would stick to the pusher. What I do is mark 2 plates Top crusts & bottom crusts.
The dough has to be rested and at room temp. If it's too cold it will tear. Once it's been rolled out and cut. Use a flat scraper. Take the cut pieces and put them on the plate with a light dusting of flour. Preheat the pie maker.

When you ready to fill add the bottom crust. Don't worry about pushing the dough all the way down. Just place it as centered as you can.
Add your filling. I then press the filling into the cup. It will finish pushing the dough down to perfection for you. Add the top crust. Parchment paper cut outs keep the outer edges from over browning.

Here's my recipe for the top and bottom crusts.
Pie Crust Recipe Base:
For the bottom base:
2 Cups AP flour
3/4 Cup Lard
1 Teaspoon of salt
5 to 6 Tablespoons of ice water.

Crumble the flour, salt and lard into a mixing bowl. Work it until it's fine crumb. Gradually add the water until it's fully incorporated and a soft dough. Wrap in saran wrap. Refrigerate over night, or a few hours. When it's ready roll the dough onto a floured surface. 1/8" thick. Cut and place on a floured plate. Makes about 8 bases.

Pie Crust Recipe Top:
Top Crust Butter Puff:
1 1/4 Cup sifted AP flour
1 stick of salted butter
2-3 Tablespoons of ice water

Cut the butter into the flour until it's a fine crumb. Gradually add the water until the dough is soft and incorporated. Let it rest. Roll, cut shape, repeat. Makes about 8 Flaky crusts.

Hope this helps.
Munky.

Shrek said he has this problem when he starts. He also says, thanks for the tip, he'll start letting the bottoms warm up first.

I made Seafood pot pies the other night. Basically a seafood chowder without potatoes, quite thick and in puff pastry shells. It was good.

Chef Munky, thanks so much for your reply. (Sorry I'm just getting back to you, but had a hectic weekend.)

I am using your recipe for the top and bottom crusts. (Mmmmmmm Lard!)Only adjustment I made was to weigh the flour--268 grams for the bottom crust and 163 grams for the top. Is that about right?

Maybe I am rolling the crusts too thin? Reason I ask is that I am getting more like 6 tops and 6 bottoms from the amount of crust. I get four of each the first time, then re-roll scraps and get 2 of each kind the second time around. (Yeah, I know, re-rolling pie dough is a big no-no, but drat I hate to throw those scraps away!)

(Correction: I say 6 tops and 6 bottoms because I divide the dough in half. Rather than 4 of each from each half of dough, I get 6)

I have recently tried "pre-shaping" the bottom on the pusher thingie then carefully tipping it into the well. Although I don't have a problem with the dough sticking to the pusher, this method seems to cause a problem with the tops separating from the bottoms when baking. Not exactly a solution by any means.

I am going to try a batch today using your method of centering the dough, filling it, then pressing it after the dough has warmed a bit.

The good thing is that even when it all goes wrong--it still tastes good!

Last edited:
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!

Now have 4 beautiful little cherry pies cooling on a rack. No overflow. No cracking. No separating tops!

I think my problem all along has been rolling the dough too thin. Got out a ruler to check what 1/8th of an inch really is. My dough has been closer to 1/16th of an inch than 1/8th.

I laid the bottom in place, centered above the well. One of them cracked when I tried using the pusher. Patched the crack and with the others, just let the dough "slump" into place. Added the filling and this time resisted using the pusher.

Put on the tops (which were also thicker than I had been using), and let them cook.

FAN-FREAKIN'-TASTIC!!!!!

Thank you so much for your help!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom