Butter Tarts made with Green Tomato's ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trilbysv

Assistant Cook
Hi i'm new to this cooking chat and i'm looking forward to participating in the forum. I'm looking for a recipe for Butter Tarts made with Green Tomatos. I lost contact with the one person i knew made them. Incredible tarts you can't tell the difference between raisens and the finely diced green tomato's. If you have a recipe for Butter Tarts made this way or i beleave there is another, Minced Meat made with Green Tomato's, i would like to get another chance at making this unique desert. Thanks Trilby :D

Your very funny Ironchef, now seriously for thoes who have a bit more creativity then the Panman, i am looking for the green tomato recipe. Thanks to all that reply. Trilby

Green Tomato Mincemeat

Trilby,

Here is a recipe for mincemeat but it says you can also make it into pies and tarts. BUT, it also has raisins in it - I guess you could increase the green tomatoes and elliminate the raisins? You can look at this and probably tell. I sure can't! LOL

Green Tomato Mincemeat

Can make it into pies, use it to fill bar cookies, or make it into tarts.

12 cups Chopped green tomatoes
16 cups Apples, unpeeled, cored
4 cups Chopped sultanas
2 cups Currants
1 cup Vinegar
2 tbsp Lemon rind
2 tbsp Orange rind
6 cups Sugar
2 tbsp Cinnamon
2 tsp Nutmeg
3 tsp Salt
2 pinches Cloves
8 tbsp Margarine

Chop the apples and tomatoes in a food processor. Add the remaining fruit and process. Pour everything into a large pot and cook on low for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Put mixture in jars and process in a hot water bath.

Thanks Kitchenelf

Thank you Kithcenelf for the recipe. I'm going to use it as a guideline. I'll probably end up using some raisens. I'm still searching though for any other recipe's using green tomato's along the desert line. Thanks again. If i come across a good one i'll post it. Trilby :D

Green Tomato Pie

Here's a Green Tomato Pie

6 medium green tomatoes (about 1 3/4 lbs.)
1 Cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter

Serves 6-8

Pastry for a 2 crust pie (follow link for recipe) additional sugar for topping

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Blanch tomatoes in boiling water for 20-30 seconds. Remove from water, core and peel. Cut prepared tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices.

In a large saucepan, combine sliced tomatoes with 1/4 C water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove tomatoes from liquid with a slotted spoon, reserving boiling liquid. Combine flour, 1 C sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and lemon zest. Add flour mixture to liquid. Cook, stirring constantly just until boiling. Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted. Gently stir in prepared green tomato slices. Cool slightly 10-15 minutes, and spoon into the unbaked piecrust. Top with top pastry crust, crimp and seal edges. Cut venting slits in tops crust and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake for about 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Back
Top Bottom