"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #31
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
I use it mostly for tourtière and make three tourtières at a time and freeze two. That reminds me. I should make some tourtière soon. It's that time of the year and Stirling really likes my tourtière (Madame Benoit's recipe)
Okay, for those of us country folk who don't talk French, what is a tourtiere? :grin:
Does it have ordinary ingredients I can find in an ordinary US grocery store and aren't very expensive? I also don't have alcohol in the house.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat View Post
Okay, for those of us country folk who don't talk French, what is a tourtiere? :grin:
Does it have ordinary ingredients I can find in an ordinary US grocery store and aren't very expensive? I also don't have alcohol in the house.
It's a French Canadian meat pie. Here's my recipe: Tourtiere

Old 10-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Sounds good. I'll have to try it sometime. Does it freeze well? Three pies would be way too much for just me or even shared with my parents. There isn't a butcher shop around here so I'd have to buy 1 lb. packages of meat anyway. I guess I could reduce the recipe and make a meatloaf with the extra meat.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat View Post
Sounds good. I'll have to try it sometime. Does it freeze well? Three pies would be way too much for just me or even shared with my parents. There isn't a butcher shop around here so I'd have to buy 1 lb. packages of meat anyway. I guess I could reduce the recipe and make a meatloaf with the extra meat.
It freezes great. Yes, it would be too much for you and your parents. You can make a filling meal with one piece (1/8 of a pie) of tourtière, gravy, some taters, and some pickled beets. That's the traditional way to serve it. (or with baked beans) Some plain boiled or steamed vegis with butter is not untraditional.

We cut each pie into eight pieces and wrap them individually and freeze them. We usually put the pieces back on the pie plate to freeze, so they don't break. Then when they are frozen, we take them off the pie plate.

We just nuke them to heat them up.

It's not a lot more work to make three pies at once than it is to make one.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's a French Canadian meat pie. Here's my recipe: Tourtiere
Depending on where you are, it can be made in a springform pan and includes wild game. Along the coast, it often is made with salmon. The name "tourtiere" comes from the Que. word for pigeon (tourte--my spelling my be off--I am too lazy tonight to dig out my Quebec French dictionary) because the "pies" were often made with pigeon or other fowl.

Tourtiere: A French-Canadian Twist On Christmas Pie : The Salt : NPR

MM #8 – Savory Cakes – Tourtière Bonne Femme | Foodfreak
Old 10-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
The lard will be objectionable if you are feeding any Jewish friends who keep kosher, and if you have any Muslim friends, the lard and the vodka together would be a double whammy.
I don't have any friends for whom I would bake a pie who are either.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Depending on where you are, it can be made in a springform pan and includes wild game. Along the coast, it often is made with salmon. The name "tourtiere" comes from the Que. word for pigeon (tourte--my spelling my be off--I am too lazy tonight to dig out my Quebec French dictionary) because the "pies" were often made with pigeon or other fowl.

Tourtiere: A French-Canadian Twist On Christmas Pie : The Salt : NPR

MM #8 – Savory Cakes – Tourtière Bonne Femme | Foodfreak
It was the passenger pigeon, which is now extinct. That's why I suggest ground chicken or turkey. Here in Quebec, we often see a "tourtière mix" of ground pork, ground beef, and ground veal in one package. Personally, I don't think the difference between veal and beef is enough to justify the extra expense. Experience has taught me that almost any ground meat can be used, but don't leave out the pork. I have used moose, venison, snowshoe hare, as well as the more ordinary meats. It all works well as long as you don't leave out the pork.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

FWIW, ATK did a segment on vodka pie crust. Using alcohol for 1/2 of the liquid works for a flaky, tender pie crust because alcohol doesn't bind with the protein (gluten) in the flour, only 1/2 of the alcohol is water, so you use less water, which results in less gluten. The alcohol evaporates while cooking. The ATK site probably explains it better than I can. I couldn't find this thread fast enough to quote the guy.

Tags
butter, pie, crust