Can I get away with...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milford

Cook
Using a 9" cake pan for a 9" pie pan? I cannot find one pie pan in this house but I have 6 cake pans. :ohmy:
I'd like to try baking some crustless pumpkin pie and crustless quiche. At best, nothing will bubble out. At worst, it will be fun trying to remove a slice. :wacko:

You might try lining the bottom with parchment paper, might make it a little bit easier to remove.

If you do use a non-stick frying pan be sure the handle is oven safe. :angel:

You might try lining the bottom with parchment paper, might make it a little bit easier to remove.

If you do use a non-stick frying pan be sure the handle is oven safe. :angel:

Parchment paper is my friend... First cake recipe I tried, the blogger suggested lining the bottom of the greased cake pans.. I do it every time and cakes just plop out beautifully... I'm a wiz at cutting round sheets now... :LOL:

Thanks for the help. Made a crustless quiche in a 9"round cake pan yesterday. This morning, I tried a crustless pumpkin pie in a 9 x 9 pan. Both were very easy to remove. However, both came out soggy. Lots of moisture. Can someone help, or should I post a new thread?

Thanks for the help. Made a crustless quiche in a 9"round cake pan yesterday. This morning, I tried a crustless pumpkin pie in a 9 x 9 pan. Both were very easy to remove. However, both came out soggy. Lots of moisture. Can someone help, or should I post a new thread?

You have to let custards sit and cool down. The custard will reabsorb the moisture. Bake until the edges no longer giggle but the center does. Then let it cool down. First to room temperature, then in the fridge. The residual heat will finish cooking the center and help solve the moisture problem.

You have to let custards sit and cool down. The custard will reabsorb the moisture. Bake until the edges no longer giggle but the center does. Then let it cool down. First to room temperature, then in the fridge. The residual heat will finish cooking the center and help solve the moisture problem.

Ah...No. The quiche was cooled in the pan for several hours. Then refrigerated overnight. The custard must have reabsorbed the moisture because it was soggy the next day. Shouldn't the 400 Degree baking have cooked/evaporated the excess moisture to begin with?

I don't know about you, but I can never get away with anything! I have a collection of Coca Cola glasses and I am afraid to put Pepsi in them, thinking the Coca Cola police will get me.

Could it be that hey were overlooked? If eggs are over cooked they give off moisture.

The fresher the eggs, the less moisture is in them. The way to overcome this is to gently place the whole egg, (after you crack it) into a fine mesh strainer and allow the water and extra moisture to drain from it. Then gently slide it into a receptacle.

IMO it is the nature of those miracle crustless recipes to be sort of soggy and unpleasant on day two.

I would skip the crustless recipes and make a regular quiche or pie, use a frozen crust if necessary, or make a pumpkin pudding or frittata without a crust.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom