1. Select a cantaloupe of good quality. Cut in half, remove seeds and scoop pulp out into a saucepan. Cook pulp over medium-low heat until it comes to a gentle boil. Stir and mash pulp as it cooks. Makes about 2 cups of pulp
2. Combine sugar, flour and salt. Add to heated pulp and cook until thick. (the flour amount may seem like a lot bit it takes this much to obtain correct consistency)
3. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks; add water to yolks. Add a little of the heated cantaloupe mixture to the yolks in order to heat yolks gradually. Stir egg yolk mixture into cantaloupe mixture. Continue cooking, stirring until thick and creamy. Remove from heat.
4. Add butter and butter flavoring to the cantaloupe mixture
5. Pour into Baked pie shell
6. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar together until frothy. Continue beating adding sugar gradually; beat until thick stiff peaks form. Top the pie with meringue.