"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chinese egg tarts

Gee, I just love Asian dishes. I have a wonderful wok and cook Chinese food all the time. I keep it simple with veggies and meat and a sauce.

A little searching uncovered that one of their (Chinese) favorites desserts is Egg Tarts so I tried them. Boy, was I ever disappointed. They're nothing more then sweetened scrambled eggs. I won't do that again. I don't like scrambled egg. Soft boiled, poached or hard boiled is fine but not scrambled or fried.

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap!
thegrindre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:39 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrindre View Post
Gee, I just love Asian dishes. I have a wonderful wok and cook Chinese food all the time. I keep it simple with veggies and meat and a sauce.

A little searching uncovered that one of their (Chinese) favorites desserts is Egg Tarts so I tried them. Boy, was I ever disappointed. They're nothing more then sweetened scrambled eggs. I won't do that again. I don't like scrambled egg. Soft boiled, poached or hard boiled is fine but not scrambled or fried.
I watched a YouTube video a few days ago that had Chinese egg tarts in it. It was the first time I had heard of them.

I actually LOVE good scrambled eggs, so I am now more wanting to try one of those tarts. I may have to make one, because I don't know where I can buy one.

CD

Old 09-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Absolutely! I recommend the recipe highly. Just because I don't like scrambled eggs doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try.
My post was just my opinion about the recipe.

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap!
thegrindre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I never thought of them as scrambled eggs but more as a custard filling.

Here is Elaine's version.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I never thought of them as scrambled eggs but more as a custard filling.

Here is Elaine's version.
That's what I was thinking, they were made incorrectly.
Smokeydoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chinese, egg, recipe

Chinese egg tarts Gee, I just love Asian dishes. I have a wonderful wok and cook Chinese food all the time. I keep it simple with veggies and meat and a sauce. :chef: A little searching uncovered that one of their (Chinese) favorites desserts is Egg Tarts so I tried them. Boy, was I ever disappointed. They're nothing more then sweetened scrambled eggs. :sad: I won't do that again. I don't like scrambled egg. Soft boiled, poached or hard boiled is fine but not scrambled or fried. :yuk: :lol: 3 stars 1 reviews