Chocolate Pie, simple & from Scratch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knightsilver

Assistant Cook
I have Acid Reflux and looking for a simple from scratch chocolate pie recipe. And mostly shelf stable ingredients, like dry eggs/carton eggs(99% egg whites) and canola oil?

I found this:
CRISCO is Cooking - Recipes, Cooking Tips, Baking Ideas, Recipe Videos, and Product information: Olive Oils, Cooking Sprays, Cooking Oils, Shortening - Crisco®
Chocolate Lover

The said ingredients from link:

Crust

Filling:
1/2 Cup Shortening
1/2 sugar
4 large eggs
2 cups semi sweet choco chips
1.5 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 flour
1 cup of nuts

Ive been looking into using coco powder or Carrob powder to replace the chips? And would dry egg work? I use mayo in breads and cookies to replace the eggs, but dont think thay would work as a binder for the pie?

dry eggs here:
Dehydrated Whole Eggs #10 Can

Thx,
shane c.

That's a lot of changes to the recipe. Remember, baking is chemistry, many of the ingredients play a crucial role in the recipe's success. Too many substitutions will yield a product very different from the original recipe. Canola oil and dry butter won't cream and make a light an fluffy mixture that's called for in the recipe, this contributes greatly to the texture. I see your changes making a very dense pie. Shortening is very shelf stable.

I'd definitely not mess too much with the eggs, they are what hold the whole pie together, help it set. I'm not sure if powdered eggs would yield the same result in a recipe like this.

Back
Top Bottom