"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 03-04-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
Everymom

Chocolate Tart

OK, I adapted this from a recipe in a magazine I subscribe to. I couldn't make it as written because Madeleine is allergic to nuts so I have messed with it. I made it for dinner tonight and will post how it was later.

Crust

1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour

Melt butter about 1/2 way in microwave. Add sugar and work it in with your hands, then add the flour and make a smooth dough with it. Cover the bottom of a springform (8 or 9 inch) and up the sides about an inch or inch and a half. Bake in the oven (350) for about 15 minutes til it begins to poof and get golden.

Filling

12 oz semisweet chocolate (chips are fine)
1 1/4 cups whipping (heavy) cream
1 large egg (beaten)

Toss the chocolate in the blender and buzz it a bit til it is nicely chopped up. Put cream in a large glass measuring cup and put in the microwave for about 2 minutes until it is boiling. Turn on the blender and pour in the hot cream and keep going til chocolate is all melted and everything looks smooth and yummy. Add the beaten egg and buzz until well blended. Let sit for a few minutes to let the bubbles settle a bit.

Pour into the baked shortbread tart shell and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or so. Center should be a bit wiggly when you pull it out. It will set a bit on the rack as it cools.

I plan to serve mine with slices of strawberry on top, and maybe a raspberry sauce if I get motivated enough to make one. You can serve this either warm or cold.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

holy cow! Sounds fab! I'm assuming the nuts were in the dough?

Old 03-04-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
Everymom

Yep. Don't want to mess with my poor baby. We prefer shortbread anyway. LOL.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I bet this tastes wonderful!
You have a very lucky family!!
Old 03-04-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
Hospitality Queen

I can't wait to hear how this came out - sounds like something my Ty would adore and then some!
Old 03-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
Everymom

It looks pretty fudgy and yummy sitting there. Probably going to be very rich. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder if you served it warm if you should plop some ice cream on it to balance the textures?
Old 03-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Is there ever a chocolate dessert that a scoop of ice cream would improve? lol
Old 03-04-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to cristal
Mmmm that looks good. Nice and simple. Do you recommend any particular chocolate or have you experimented with any?
Old 03-04-2006, 05:10 PM   #9
Everymom

I used some generic chocolate wafers that I like and some um...Chipits I think. I don't like to use the really good chocolate in desserts. OK, the truth is it never makes it to the desserts if I buy the good stuff. LOL.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #10
Everymom

OK, this was a definite success tonight. Rated a 9/10 by the family. I think I would let it stay in the oven at least 30 minutes next time as the center was a little too squooshy for my liking.

Easy and yummy.

Tags
None