Chocolate Tart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I adapted this from a recipe in a magazine I subscribe to. I couldn't make it as written because Madeleine is allergic to nuts so I have messed with it. I made it for dinner tonight and will post how it was later.

Crust

1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour

Melt butter about 1/2 way in microwave. Add sugar and work it in with your hands, then add the flour and make a smooth dough with it. Cover the bottom of a springform (8 or 9 inch) and up the sides about an inch or inch and a half. Bake in the oven (350) for about 15 minutes til it begins to poof and get golden.

Filling

12 oz semisweet chocolate (chips are fine)
1 1/4 cups whipping (heavy) cream
1 large egg (beaten)

Toss the chocolate in the blender and buzz it a bit til it is nicely chopped up. Put cream in a large glass measuring cup and put in the microwave for about 2 minutes until it is boiling. Turn on the blender and pour in the hot cream and keep going til chocolate is all melted and everything looks smooth and yummy. Add the beaten egg and buzz until well blended. Let sit for a few minutes to let the bubbles settle a bit.

Pour into the baked shortbread tart shell and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or so. Center should be a bit wiggly when you pull it out. It will set a bit on the rack as it cools.

I plan to serve mine with slices of strawberry on top, and maybe a raspberry sauce if I get motivated enough to make one. You can serve this either warm or cold.

It looks pretty fudgy and yummy sitting there. Probably going to be very rich. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder if you served it warm if you should plop some ice cream on it to balance the textures?

Is there ever a chocolate dessert that a scoop of ice cream would improve? lol

Mmmm that looks good. Nice and simple. Do you recommend any particular chocolate or have you experimented with any?

I used some generic chocolate wafers that I like and some um...Chipits I think. I don't like to use the really good chocolate in desserts. OK, the truth is it never makes it to the desserts if I buy the good stuff. LOL.

OK, this was a definite success tonight. Rated a 9/10 by the family. I think I would let it stay in the oven at least 30 minutes next time as the center was a little too squooshy for my liking.

Easy and yummy.

And just another update...OMGOSH...it is soooo good after sitting in the fridge all night.

Alix said:
OK, this was a definite success tonight. Rated a 9/10 by the family. I think I would let it stay in the oven at least 30 minutes next time as the center was a little too squooshy for my liking.

Easy and yummy.

What you made was a ganache (truffle) filling so I would not have baked it. After pouring into the shell, I'd refrig for several hours. It will be thick and solid and delicious. For an added goodie use layers of milk choc, white choc and bittersweet. You can just heat the cream to boiling and add to the chopped choc, mix well, add beaten egg, and flavoring. I think cleaning the blender can be messy and unnecessary.:)

Sounds wonderful Alix. I had always wanted to make this chocolate tart. Now that's it's tried and true by you, I'll give it a shot too. BTW, what mag was it in again (what month)?

Swann said:
What you made was a ganache (truffle) filling so I would not have baked it. After pouring into the shell, I'd refrig for several hours. It will be thick and solid and delicious. For an added goodie use layers of milk choc, white choc and bittersweet. You can just heat the cream to boiling and add to the chopped choc, mix well, add beaten egg, and flavoring. I think cleaning the blender can be messy and unnecessary.:)

Thanks for your input Swann, I did know what I was making. I don't care to feed my kids uncooked eggs in any form, and while I am always willing to mess with a recipe, I don't like to mess with every part of it the first time out. Perhaps another time I will try the no cook method, for this time though, I was pleased with how easy it was to make and the taste was wonderful. Next time I am going to add some orange flavouring.

Dina, it was the Feb mag, but I altered a bunch of stuff so it really isn't quite the same. Let me know if you make the original as I would like to have made that but Madeleine's allergies prevent that.

Alix,

I do not add egg. It will stiffen chocolate but I do not think you need it. I make lots of truffles and ganache frosting but always omit the egg(s). You do not have to worry about refrig. if there is no egg.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom