Coconut and blueberry tart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cutyangel

Assistant Cook
I went into cafeteria and tasted this "blueberry and coconut tart". I'm trying to copy the recipe and if anyone ever had a recipe of this tart i would appreciate if you could help me. I have not tried it yet but the problem I have is the coconut...It was quite large than normal dessicated coconut, by width and height...do you think that it could be fresh coconut (grated) or is there any other type of coconut available in supermarkets? The coconut remained "one by one", it wasn't like a paste at all...What ingredient could possibly have been mixed with it? Condensed milk? would it work??

tks for your opinions
Pam

One by one - means that the coconut is clearly visible , it's not like when you stir a cake - you see only the coconut flakes (sorry it's difficult to explain for me)
The size is larger than desiccated coconut and thicker, about 5mm by 1 or 2mm

okay, now I have a bit of an idea - seeing you're not in America, you're not familiar with the typical bagged coconut we have here. It appears (from my google search) that desiccated coconut is a much finer grind than the one we use here.
This may be what you're looking for:

B00032DQ06.01-A3CDPEGSIQM61V._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

which has the size similar to grated cheese.
Here's a photo of it coating a cake. Is this more the size you were looking for?

Classic_ANGEL_FLAKE_Coconut_Cake.jpg

I found this for you too:

Sub-Lime Blueberry Coconut Truffle Pie

For the crust:
1 -1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup CRISCO all-vegetable shortening
3 tablespoons ice water
1 egg white, lightly beaten

For the filling:
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons cold water
1 -1/2 cups heavy cream
1 14-ounce can cream of coconut
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
2 teaspoons grated lime peel
6 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
1 20-ounce can blueberry pie filling
6 tablespoons toasted coconut

For the garnish:
Lime slices, optional
Make the crust:

1. Preheat oven to 400°f. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, blend in Crisco until mixture resembles very coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with water, one tablespoon at a time, and stir until dough forms a ball. Flatten ball into a disc.
2. On a lightly floured cutting board or counter, roll dough out into a 10-inch circle. Transfer dough to a 9-inch pie plate. Fold edges under and crimp as desired.
3. Using a pastry brush, brush entire crust with egg white and prick bottom and sides several times with a fork to prevent bubbling.
4. Bake crust for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool crust completely on a wire rack before filling.

Make the filling:

1. In a cup, sprinkle gelatin over the cold water; set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, whisk together heavy cream, cream of coconut, lime juice and lime peel; bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
3. Stir reserved gelatin and add it to filling mixture, along with white chocolate; whisk until smooth.

Assemble the pie:

1. Pour filling into the prepared pie crust and smooth top with a rubber spatula. Refrigerate pie until firm, then spread blueberry pie filling over top, smoothing it with a rubber spatula.
2. Sprinkle edges of the pie with toasted coconut, and garnish with lime slices, if desired.

Hi Cutyangel, a big welcome to DC :chef:

They sell coconut like this in the health food stores here in Ireland. I like to mix it with regular shredded coconut when I make macaroons (about a 1/3 ratio of large to normal coconut). I only have the small stuff on hand right now, but I think that the larger pieces are just called "coconut chips".

Unsweetened dried coconut is pretty easy to make at home (if your're feeling a tad ambious) simply crack open and drain out (reserve it!) the juice from a fresh coconut. Scrape the flesh from the brown shell with a veggie peeler or small, sharp knife (thinly) and spread it onto a non-stick baking sheet or Silpat sheet on a baking tray and bake in the oven for about 5-6 minutes at 325 F until it starts to turn faintly golden coloured. Do watch it carefully though, it can get too dark in a flash.

Hi there...

Thanks very much for your help. It seems that it's just what i'm looking for!! I hope I can find it here in Malta because I never saw it actually!! If not I think I can follow Piccolina's advice right??

tks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom