"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Coconut cream pie is a mess....

Ok. We altered the standard recipe by using Coco Lopez in the mix. I knew this was risky, but we did it anyway. I'm thinking we should have used less milk. Also, the meringue collapsed and became weepy. Other than that it was great, considering it fell apart when you sliced it! While I'm on the subject, a while back we made a lemon maringue pie that was fabulous. We repeated it and it was watery. I know there are pie experts out there. What goes wrong to make pies turn watery?

Old 11-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Not following a proven recipe.

My point is, you can't play fast and loose with bakery ingredients or their quantities - you've got to follow the recipe... precisely, in order to have the most success.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I use coco lopez in my coconut cream pie and it is fantastic. But... cream pies can be fickle you can follow the recipe to the T and end up with a runny pie, but if you fiddle with it, it almost always spells disaster. In my opinion, many cream pies call for far too little cornstarch or thickener.

Here is the recipe that I use.

1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup coco lopez
1/3 cup cornstarch
pinch of salt
2 cups milk
3 eggs beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbs butter
3/4 cup shredded coconut.

Combine the sugar, coco lopez, and cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan, whisk in milk and cook on medium, stirring constantly until mixture boils. Whisk half of hot mixture into beaten eggs to temper them, add egg mixture back into the custard base and stir until boiling, boil one minute. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla, butter, and coconut. Pour into prepared, baked, deep dish pie shell. Chill until fully set, at least 4-6 hours with plastic wrap pressed against the filling.

Top with fresh whipped cream and toasted coconut.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:50 AM   #4
Head Chef

What is coco lopez?
Old 11-27-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
What is coco lopez?
It's canned condensed coconut milk that is available in most grocery stores. And it's very rich!
Old 11-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I use coco lopez in my coconut cream pie and it is fantastic. But... cream pies can be fickle you can follow the recipe to the T and end up with a runny pie, but if you fiddle with it, it almost always spells disaster. In my opinion, many cream pies call for far too little cornstarch or thickener.

Here is the recipe that I use.

1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup coco lopez
1/3 cup cornstarch
pinch of salt
2 cups milk
3 eggs beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbs butter
3/4 cup shredded coconut.

Combine the sugar, coco lopez, and cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan, whisk in milk and cook on medium, stirring constantly until mixture boils. Whisk half of hot mixture into beaten eggs to temper them, add egg mixture back into the custard base and stir until boiling, boil one minute. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla, butter, and coconut. Pour into prepared, baked, deep dish pie shell. Chill until fully set, at least 4-6 hours with plastic wrap pressed against the filling.

Top with fresh whipped cream and toasted coconut.
Did you adjust the cornstarch from experience? The recipes usually call for 2 Tbs. cornstarch. Also, we didn't refrigerate the pie. I see that whipped cream toppings call for whole eggs and meringue pies call for egg yokes. I'll try your recipe when topping with whipped cream. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Not following a proven recipe.

My point is, you can't play fast and loose with bakery ingredients or their quantities - you've got to follow the recipe... precisely, in order to have the most success.
You're right and we paid the price. My wife has made this before and jotted down some corrections for using the Coco Lopez, which is very similar to Bakechef's recipe. But, we didn't have this runny of a pie the last time. Baking is chemistry and too much dynamite can be disasterous.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
Head Chef

Phil: "I see that whipped cream toppings call for whole eggs and meringue pies call for egg yokes."
????? I don't really know what you mean here

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Phil: "I see that whipped cream toppings call for whole eggs and meringue pies call for egg yokes."
????? I don't really know what you mean here
That is sloppy wording on my part, sorry. Recipes for meriangue topped cream pies call for egg yolks in the filling. Whipped cream topping calls for the entire egg in their filling.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
Head Chef

Probably so as not to waste any part of the egg. Use the yolks in the pie, use the whites of the same eggs in a topping.
But, it's a matter of taste. One can put meringue on anything, same with whipped cream.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None