Commercial Fruit Fillings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Our local grocery store is going out of business, and I bought several large vaccuum packed bags of fruit fillings from their bakery...apple, peach, and cherry. They used it in their turnovers...it's chopped pretty finely...but I'm considering using it in a pies. Suggestions?

Our local donut maker does something like this:

Get (or make if you feel that energetic) some plain no-hole donuts. Split them almost in half (like a hamburgur bun, but only 2/3 of the way through) and then spoon in the filling till it's nice and full.

You can also use the fruits for crepe fillings, or top blintzes and pancakes with it.

You can also make phyllo nests in a mini-muffin pan, bake till 1/2 golden, then add filling and finish baking for pretty desserts. You could serve 2 different filling nests alongside a scoop of french vanilla ice cream, drizzled with caramel.

Super easy: Pillsburry refrigerated pie crust: cut out circles or squares and place fillings on right side. Fold left side over, crimp and bake for an easy array of tarts.

You can put some of the pie filling in the middle of a coffee cake. Pour 1/2 of the batter into the pan, spoon in the filling, and top with the other 1/2 of batter. Put on topping and bake.

Flandango

Software:
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup half-and- half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar

An assortment of jams, preserves, or dessert sauces such as (you could use any of your fruit fillings here):
Blueberry jam
Apricot preserves
Butterscotch ice cream topping
Hot fudge ice cream topping
6 eggs

Hardware:
Roasting pan large enough to accommodate 8 custard cups with at least 1-inch to spare around
8 custard cups
Glass or stainless steel bowl with a spout
Fine mesh strainer
Small nonreactive saucepan
A kettle boiling water
Whisk

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

In the saucepan, combine the milk, half-and-half, vanilla, and sugar. Bring to a bare simmer over medium-low heat.

Next, place 1 to 2 tablespoons of each topping into each of the custard cups. The topping should come a few millimeters up the side of the custard cup.

Separate 3 of the eggs using the slotted spoon. Reserve the whites. (Note: Freeze the whites in ice trays. After the whites are frozen, place the frozen cubes into zip-top freezer bags. The frozen whites can be frozen up to a year.)

Place a mixing bowl on a rubber pad or a wet towel to prevent the bowl from spinning out of control. In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining whole eggs and the yolks. Whip the eggs with a whisk until slightly thickened and lightened in color. While whisking the eggs, drizzle in about a quarter of the hot milk. Now whisk the tempered eggs back into the saucepan with the remaining milk mixture.

Place a fine mesh strainer over a glass or stainless steel bowl with a spout. Pour the egg mixture through the strainer in order to catch any curdled egg bits or particles that may be in the mixture.

Place the custard cups into the roasting pan. Evenly distribute the custard into the custard cups, going short on the first pass. Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and pour boiling water into the pan just under the level of the custard.

Cook the flans for about 40 minutes, or until they wobble slightly when the pan is wiggled, about 40 minutes. You can also insert a paring knife midway between the edge and the center. If it comes out clean, the flans are done. Using tongs, remove the cups from the pan to a towel-lined sheet pan. Allow the water in the roasting pan to cool before discarding. Cool, cover and chill.

Puff pasty shells are great with thses kinds of filings and then top with ice cream or whipped cream or cannoli cream.

kadesma..I have a recipe for cannoli cream if you'd like it.

using kadesma's cannoli cream recipe, make a version of fruitti di bosco. bake a pie shell in a plate, fill shell halfway with the cannoli cream, then top with your chunky fruit filling. pour a simple syrup over top and chill (the pie, i don't mean to relax :) ).

jkath, it is usually made with various fresh berries loaded on top of a sweet custard or cream like filling (i've seen it with everything from whipped cream/moscarpone to frozen yogurt), then sort of sealed in with the sugar glaze. the original is delicious, and looks nice with the colorful berries, but i was thinking of a variation with the chopped fruit filling.
:)

lol, i've never made it before jkath. but it's one of my favorite desserts to get at ferrara's in little italy (from "moonstruck").i'll see if i can find a suitable recipe...

Constance said:
What great ideas! Many thanks!
And yes, Kadesma, I'd love your recipe for cannoli cream.

:)
Constance, this goes over a fruit salad that serves 4..I make up one batch at a time..Otherwise the way I do things I end up with a gigantic MESS:LOL:
1/3c whole-milk ricotta cheese
2TAB plus 1/3c. whipping cream
3-Tab. powdered sugar
pinch of cinnamon
In med bowl stir the ricotta with 2Tab. of cream to blend. In a large bowl using electric mixer, beat the remaining cream with the posdered sugar and cinnamon til-semi-soft peaks form...Fold ricotta into whipped cream..This can be made up to 4 hours ahead and kept in refrigerator..
kadesma:)

Hi,

here is a strawberry filling recipe from me:

1000g Strawberrys
Sugar you like
3 Soupspoons Lemon
1 Package Vanilla dessert sauce( I don´t know you have it there!?)

1. 500 g Strawberrys quirl to Strawberrysause. Than put the Sugar, Lemon and dessertsauce into it and beat it foamly....

2. The other 500 g Strawberrys cut in pieces and give it into the strawberrysauce...

ready.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom