Cool Whip Copycat and other Whipped Cream Substitutes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kirby

Assistant Cook

Cool Whip Copycat Recipie

Gelatin - 1 tsp
Cold water - 2 tsp
Boiling water - 3 tbsp
Ice water - 1/2 cup
Nonfat dry milk - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 3 tbsp
Oil - 3 tbsp
  • Chill a small mixing bowl.
  • Soften gelatin with 2 teaspoons of cold water, and then add in the boiling water. Stir until gelatine is dissolved.
  • Let it cool til it's lukewarm.
  • Place ice water and dry milk in the chilled bowl, and beat at high speed until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
  • Add sugar, oil and gelatine. Continue to beat will adding these. Place in freezer for 15 minutes and then keep in the refrigerator.
--------------------------------------------

I found the above cool whip copycat somewhere online. I had no idea dry milk could whip.

Does anyone have any related whipped cream substitues?

I can't remember her name, but a lady who was quite a pioneer in lowfat/nofat cooking used to use the dry milk and also lowfat milk to whip for desserts. I think she put the milk, the bowl and the beaters in the freezer for a while before whipping. One thing I remember was that she said it would not hold up long so had to be used very shortly.

Kirby said:
Cool Whip Copycat Recipie

Gelatin - 1 tsp
Cold water - 2 tsp
Boiling water - 3 tbsp
Ice water - 1/2 cup
Nonfat dry milk - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 3 tbsp
Oil - 3 tbsp
  • Chill a small mixing bowl.
  • Soften gelatin with 2 teaspoons of cold water, and then add in the boiling water. Stir until gelatine is dissolved.
  • Let it cool til it's lukewarm.
  • Place ice water and dry milk in the chilled bowl, and beat at high speed until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
  • Add sugar, oil and gelatine. Continue to beat will adding these. Place in freezer for 15 minutes and then keep in the refrigerator.
--------------------------------------------

I found the above cool whip copycat somewhere online. I had no idea dry milk could whip.

Does anyone have any related whipped cream substitues?

before I try this, has anybody made it before and was it good?

i have made a fairly good fat free whipped topping (it's a floor polish, no, it's a dessert topping! :) ) by using my immersion blender, aka a boat motor, in emerilisms.

i dissolved a little splenda in just a few ounces of fat free milk, then put the sweetened milk in the freezer for about 15 minutes. when it is just beginning to freeze over but not through, you blend in as much air as possible with the immersion blender's whipping disk.
the only problem is that it deflates quickly, so ya gotta eat it right away, not like that's an issue usually.
i think i'm gonna try to add a little gelatin next time to see if it helps stabilize it some. i wonder what will happen to freezing gelatin. my guess is is will not freeze as quickly as the milk, due to it's viscosity, so it should be ok.

Debbie said:
before I try this, has anybody made it before and was it good?

I just made it and it was kind of gross.

Maybe something related will work better.

Does tartar or egg white help to stabalize? I think I'll try using regular fat free milk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom