"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 03-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire

Look around you. See what other diners are eating. If you see something akin to your plate, see how they handle it, then follow suit. And if it is wrong, then you are not alone. The two of you may be starting a new trend.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #102
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I think it makes sense that open faced sandwiches should be eaten with knife and fork, while sandwiches served between two pieces of bread or bun should be picked up. I think Ms. Post would agree that the most important thing in eating etiquette is to not be nor appear awkward. That's what the "rules" of etiquette are all about, not appearing awkward and not embarrassing yourself or your company by awkward behavior.
Agreed. I was surprised, and pleased, to learn that she said you should eat crispy bacon with your fingers.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #103
Executive Chef

It seems to me that eating bacon with your fingers would get awkward because your fingers would be greasy and you'd have to attend to that...
Old 03-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #104
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
It seems to me that eating bacon with your fingers would get awkward because your fingers would be greasy and you'd have to attend to that...
Have you ever tried to pick up crispy bacon with a fork? BTW, crispy bacon isn't as greasy as soft bacon, which is easy to pick up with a fork.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #105
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Agreed. I was surprised, and pleased, to learn that she said you should eat crispy bacon with your fingers.

Crispy bacon shouldn't be greasy, as it has rendered out the fat.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #106
Senior Cook

Chicken vindaloo pasties. Best. Decision. EVER.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #107
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes, they are made of bronze
Doesn't that get kind of uncomfortably chilly when they're down in the coal mines?

Tags
beef, recipe

Cornish Pasties [B][CENTER]Cornish Pasties.[/CENTER][/B] [B]Ingredients[/B] 250g Plain flour 125g butter pinch salt Iced water Beef skirt steak Potatoes Onion Salt & pepper egg butter First make the pastry. Start by freezing the butter and putting the water in the freezer until it starts to form ice. Sieve the flower into a bowl and add a pinch of salt. Grate the frozen butter into the flour and bring it together roughly but gently with a fork, add the iced water a bit at a time until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl and starts to come together. Make it into a ball and cover in cling film and let to rest in the fridge for thirty minutes or so. Prepare the filling. Chop the onion finely, peel and cube the potato chop the beef into small pieces and dredge in seasoned flour. Remove the pastry from the fridge and divide into four, roll out on a floured surface into a round disc the size of a tea plate. Place the potato cubes in the middle and top with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, place the onion on top and again another sprinkle of salt and pepper, place the meat on top then cut a few fine slivers of butter and lay this on top of the meat. Brush the edges of the pastry with egg wash and bring together and crimp with your fingers. Place on a baking tray and coat the outside with generous amounts of egg wash to get a nice golden colour. Place into the oven on 180c for approx 45 minutes or until nice and golden brown, place on a wire rack and leave to cool slightly. Enjoy:chef: 3 stars 1 reviews