"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 03-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I was wondering because I had heard that US tourists in England are considered uncouth for picking up their burgers and eating them. It must have been the setting they were in, they did say they were in a restaurant and not a fast food place.
Yeah, it would probably seem a little strange to folks in England if they started picking up a burger in a restaurant but if it's at home, from a street kiosk, bbq etc then I think it's very normal to eat a burger with your hands and not reach for the knife and fork.

Would you even eat a burger with your hands in a quite fancy restaurant? I know fancy restaurants don't usually serve burgers but would it happen?

Old 03-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonny_uk View Post
Yeah, it would probably seem a little strange to folks in England if they started picking up a burger in a restaurant but if it's at home, from a street kiosk, bbq etc then I think it's very normal to eat a burger with your hands and not reach for the knife and fork.

Would you even eat a burger with your hands in a quite fancy restaurant? I know fancy restaurants don't usually serve burgers but would it happen?
Oh yes! But then I was raised by wolves... If a food is served with top and bottom bread, it should be picked up. It that is inappropriate the restaurant should not serve it that way, it should be open face.

I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've eaten in a fancy restaurant in 51 years, and I have enough fingers to have a couple left over. I much prefer the relaxed attitude in less formal settings. I can be cleaned up and presented in classier places and I will act accordingly, but that only lasts until I get the giggles.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Oh yes! But then I was raised by wolves... If a food is served with top and bottom bread, it should be picked up. It that is inappropriate the restaurant should not serve it that way, it should be open face.
I agree with you on that one 100% In fact, it's almost impossible to eat a burger served in a bun with a knife and fork and ruins all the fun:)

Quote:
I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've eaten in a fancy restaurant in 51 years, and I have enough fingers to have a couple left over. I much prefer the relaxed attitude in less formal settings. I can be cleaned up and presented in classier places and I will act accordingly, but that only lasts until I get the giggles.
I'm the same as you, always felt a little intimidated in fancy restaurants but here in Moscow it's full of fancy restaurants so I've kind of got used to it now and to be honest, the people here mind there own business so you could probably sit giggling all night long and nobody would notice
Old 03-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I agree with you on that one 100% In fact, it's almost impossible to eat a burger served in a bun with a knife and fork and ruins all the fun:)

I'm the same as you, always felt a little intimidated in fancy restaurants but here in Moscow it's full of fancy restaurants so I've kind of got used to it now and to be honest, the people here mind there own business so you could probably sit giggling all night long and nobody would notice
I would be fine until I remembered my Dad's stage whisper of, "Don't eat the doilies," from when I was about 7 years old. He didn't care for the robot children act and decided to lighten the mood during dessert.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
I would be fine until I remembered my Dad's stage whisper of, "Don't eat the doilies," from when I was about 7 years old. He didn't care for the robot children act and decided to lighten the mood during dessert.
Oh don't worry, as long as you eat the doilies with a knife and fork you'd be fine
Old 03-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Oh don't worry, as long as you eat the doilies with a knife and fork you'd be fine
Okay, now I have to make sure I take a few doilies on our next visit...
Yes, I will eat paper to make my Dad laugh!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Okay, now I have to make sure I take a few doilies on our next visit...
Yes, I will eat paper to make my Dad laugh!
It does not mean you have to eat them At least try to behave.......for a few minutes;)

Have you been to Russia before?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #38
Executive Chef

JJ I first visited Moscow about 35 yrs ago to catch a train to 'blisi.The Russians may have invented the burger but the Serbs invented the bun "lepinje" this the famous Belgrade emporium of Pljeskavica

It looks a bit like Moscow.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #39
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
JJ I first visited Moscow about 35 yrs ago to catch a train to 'blisi.The Russians may have invented the burger but the Serbs invented the bun "lepinje" this the famous Belgrade emporium of Pljeskavica

It looks a bit like Moscow.
Oh wow! How did you find Moscow all that time ago? It has even changed in the six years I have been here and I can imagine 35 years ago it was a whole new ball game!! May I be nosey and ask what bought you to Moscow or was it just to catch the train? Did you travel down to Tbilisi?

Interesting video and I never realised that hamburger is one of there national dishes! You learn something new everyday and this site is an education:)

There were some similarities to Moscow, just a few more cars and people on the streets now though

Cheers Bolas!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #40
Executive Chef

I went with a cousin who had street cred then in the USSR.We went to 'blisi to visit the grave of his great grandfather and mess ewith the Georgian girls

Tags
beef, recipe

Cornish Pasties [B][CENTER]Cornish Pasties.[/CENTER][/B] [B]Ingredients[/B] 250g Plain flour 125g butter pinch salt Iced water Beef skirt steak Potatoes Onion Salt & pepper egg butter First make the pastry. Start by freezing the butter and putting the water in the freezer until it starts to form ice. Sieve the flower into a bowl and add a pinch of salt. Grate the frozen butter into the flour and bring it together roughly but gently with a fork, add the iced water a bit at a time until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl and starts to come together. Make it into a ball and cover in cling film and let to rest in the fridge for thirty minutes or so. Prepare the filling. Chop the onion finely, peel and cube the potato chop the beef into small pieces and dredge in seasoned flour. Remove the pastry from the fridge and divide into four, roll out on a floured surface into a round disc the size of a tea plate. Place the potato cubes in the middle and top with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, place the onion on top and again another sprinkle of salt and pepper, place the meat on top then cut a few fine slivers of butter and lay this on top of the meat. Brush the edges of the pastry with egg wash and bring together and crimp with your fingers. Place on a baking tray and coat the outside with generous amounts of egg wash to get a nice golden colour. Place into the oven on 180c for approx 45 minutes or until nice and golden brown, place on a wire rack and leave to cool slightly. Enjoy:chef: 3 stars 1 reviews