"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 03-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #51
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
If it makes you feel any better, you've inspired me to make pasties sometime this weekend.
Sweet! Good man Steve Are you thinking of going the traditional route or your own filling recipe? I would really like to make some more and try a few different fillings but I can feel the waistline expanding already I made four of those pasties and ate them in the space of 36 hours!!! What to do? Food is the spice of life:)

Old 03-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #52
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonny_uk View Post
Sweet! Good man Steve Are you thinking of going the traditional route or your own filling recipe?
The pasties I long for from my childhood were traditional (aside from the Heinz ketchup we slathered over them ) so I'll start traditional and find my own way from there.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Question. Didn'[t the original pasties have one half veggies and meat and the other half dessert? And the pie crust had a sort of thick handle on one end to protect the food from the coal dust of miners hands? Oh all right. Two questons? Do they still make them that way? Three questions. I get carried away.
The handle was used by some, while in a nearby town, the seam was on the top.

In Michigan's U.P., the handle was always made on the side, as you said, to provide something for the miners to hold with their dirty hands.

As for the dual filling, that isn't much heard of in the U.S. But I do it with my pasties. My last batch used the traditional potato, diced beef, onion, garlic, and rutabega on one side, with blueberry pie filling on the other. A simple roll of the pastry crust dough divides the two sides. And the savory side is larger than the desert side.

Again, in my home town, we make a pizza pastie, and fill it with whatever is put onto a your favortie pizza, then fold the pie in half, forming a "handle with the exess dough that is buillt in, which also helps seal the thing from leaking. Of course we use piza dough instead of traditional short crust for the pastry.

Yeh, pasties are a large part of our Yooper heritage. Thank you England for sharing this wonderful food preperation with us Yanks.

Oh, one more thing; It was saide of pasty crust that if it wouldn't survive the fall if accidently dropped down a mine shaft, then it didn't have a proper crust.

Me, I use a super tender and flaky pie crust technique to make my pastys with. I guess I don't make proper pasy crust.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #54
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
It does not mean you have to eat them At least try to behave.......for a few minutes;)

Have you been to Russia before?
If I behaved myself walking into my parents house, Dad would think I was taken over by a pod monster or Triffid and light me on fire...Mom would just sic the dog on me and I would drown in dog slobber.

I've never been to Russia or Canada or Mexico. I've always wanted to travel, just never had the financial ability to do so. And now that we could possibly be able too, Shrek's health will not allow it. Somehow I don't want to go without him...
Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #55
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Princess Fi, yes eating a burger with your hands is fine here in the UK, even when eating out, but I can't say that I would ever eat a burger in a "fancy restaurant".
Thanks GQ, the friends I was speaking of were in a restaurant (china service and all the correct utensils) and the old ladies at the table next to them were eating their burgers with knives and forks...may have also been a generational thing.

My best friend's Mother was from Nottingham and she reveled in eating foods with her hands. And she also taught me the art of tea-making, encouraging my collection of teapots.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
The recipe and pictures in the OP look delicious! I can't wait to try this myself!

Quote:
Would you even eat a burger with your hands in a quite fancy restaurant? I know fancy restaurants don't usually serve burgers but would it happen?
That concept is alien in US. Hamburgers are sandwiches. They are meant to be picked up in the hands and eaten thus. I cannot imagine anybody eating a hamburger with a knife and fork. That treatment should be reserved for open faced sandwiches.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #57
Senior Cook

Keema pasties were amazing.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #58
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozz View Post
Keema pasties were amazing.
What is Keema?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #59
Senior Cook

Keema is an Indian dish with minced meat, peas, and whatever else I feel like throwing in it. It's total comfort food.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #60
Head Chef

Princess Fi, do you warm your pot first and then let it mash proper?

Tags
beef, recipe

Cornish Pasties [B][CENTER]Cornish Pasties.[/CENTER][/B] [B]Ingredients[/B] 250g Plain flour 125g butter pinch salt Iced water Beef skirt steak Potatoes Onion Salt & pepper egg butter First make the pastry. Start by freezing the butter and putting the water in the freezer until it starts to form ice. Sieve the flower into a bowl and add a pinch of salt. Grate the frozen butter into the flour and bring it together roughly but gently with a fork, add the iced water a bit at a time until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl and starts to come together. Make it into a ball and cover in cling film and let to rest in the fridge for thirty minutes or so. Prepare the filling. Chop the onion finely, peel and cube the potato chop the beef into small pieces and dredge in seasoned flour. Remove the pastry from the fridge and divide into four, roll out on a floured surface into a round disc the size of a tea plate. Place the potato cubes in the middle and top with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, place the onion on top and again another sprinkle of salt and pepper, place the meat on top then cut a few fine slivers of butter and lay this on top of the meat. Brush the edges of the pastry with egg wash and bring together and crimp with your fingers. Place on a baking tray and coat the outside with generous amounts of egg wash to get a nice golden colour. Place into the oven on 180c for approx 45 minutes or until nice and golden brown, place on a wire rack and leave to cool slightly. Enjoy:chef: 3 stars 1 reviews