Cranberry Coconut Bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Cranberry Coconut Bars

Crust:
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

Filling:
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon whole or 2 percent milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange rind
1 cup fresh or if unavailable, frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped (if using frozen, chop berries while still frozen)
1/2 cup flaked coconut, sweetened
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar, and salt and mix well. Gradually add the flour, mixing to combine. Stir in the pecans. Press the mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9-inch square baking pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until browned.

Filling: In a mixer, combine the sugar, flour, and baking powder and mix well. Add the eggs, milk, vanilla, and zest and mix well. Fold in the cranberries, coconut, and pecans. When the crust is baked, remove from the oven and spread the filling over it. Return to the oven and bake an additional 30 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars for serving.

PA, this looks very similar to some cranberry bar cookies I made for Christmas. Mine had cream cheese in them as the major diff.

Now, if I only liked coconut.....

THESE ARE WONDERFUL

:D

I made these this am since I wanted to use leftover cranberries in my freezer. They are wonderful so PA BAKER thank you.

One question I had. Do you put the topping on immediately when you it out (which is what I did) or do you let the crust cool first?

I put the topping on as soon as they come out of the oven, retirednana.

Aren't they wonderful--they remind me a lot of pecan pie! While I love them with cranberries, I want to experiment with other fruits (cherries, blueberris) and chocolate chips.

Glad you liked the recipe!

Back
Top Bottom