"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 01-24-2007, 08:41 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

SUCCESS!!!!!!! Well, I switched to half and half, and added two ramekins, and BOOM!!!!!!! Set Creme Brulee. I was so glad this finally worked out. Next I have to master the art of caramelizing the sugar on top of the custard.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:10 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Congratulations on your brulees!!! I hope you have a torch - imo, these work so much better than using a broiler.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to tsi88kid
I've heard from a lot people that a regular torch is just as good as the professional bruleeing torches and its actually cheaper
Old 01-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassic
The recipe was:

2 cups heavy cream
4 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Heat cream and sugar in sauce pan, mix yolks and vanilla. Then add cream to yolks and pour through sifter. Split in 4 ramekins in baking dish w/ towel and water. Bake at 300* for 30-35 mins. Cool to room temp, and refrigerate for 3 hrs, or overnight. It's now 6.5 hrs into cooling, and is still liquidy under at the bottom. Is it ok?
Lose the vanilla extract and get yourself a real live bonafide vanilla bean!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:14 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

By the way, Target has a nice little Creme Brulee "kit" - comes with 4 ramekins and a butane torch that works nicely!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #16
Sous Chef

I think they aren't done (duh!--and have now read the rest of the thread).
It could be your oven. Sometimes timing isn't the end result--test it by jiggling, or the temp with a probe. Are you using a water bath? We cooked our creme brulee in a Johnson & Wales class on a cookie sheet with water (towel to keep them from sliding around). The chef said the steam from the water was the more important part, rather than having the water come half way up the side of the cooking dish.
I have a plumber's torch--$12 at HOme Depot. Got a little boutiquey torch for Christmas. Now to make some creme brulee! Having guests for dinner tonight for a bistro lamb dinner. That might just be the ticket!! I even have half and half.
Oh, I have also read a tip by a chef/cooking instructor that doing the torching in several applications rather than just one willgive a nicer thicker crunchier crust.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Are you starting with hot water in your water bath if you are using cold that may be the problem.It has to be hot.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to dmb3006
Does anyone for recipe using half and half instead of the heavy cream?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
If you are interested i can get the creme brulee recipe we use at work, it's pretty much TNT. I'll post it here for anyone who is interested, should be Friday night sometime, since that's when I work next.

Off the top of my head, I think it something like this:

16 egg yolks
5 eggs
2c sugar
2qt. cream
2qt. milk
6 t or 6T of vanilla

Bake for about 35-50 minutes at 325, in a water bath that is about 80% covered with a sheet pan. Start with lukewarm water.

Scald your cream. Right before its about to boil, add your sugar and vanilla to your eggs. Slowly add in about 1/4 of the cream, whipping constantly and quickly. This tempers your eggs. Add your egg mix back into the cream pot, whisking constantly and quickly until combined. Strain.

Pour immediately into 11 or 12 large-ish ramekins. Add water to your bath and place the ramekins into it. Place that into the preheated oven, and cover about 80% with a sheet tray.

The cooking time varies no matter which brulee recipe you make, it has to do with the way the eggs are tempered, and how much moisture the cream lost when scalded.

Don't make this until I get you the actual recipe please, this is just a temporary reference point!

Tags
None