Creme Brulee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CremeBruleeFan

Assistant Cook
Is it normal that after 35 minutes in the oven, the creme brulee hasn't congealed yet? Did I do something wrong?

Depending on the size of the ramekins, after 35-40 minutes, the custard should be just starting to set around the edges. Typically, you take it out of the oven partially set and chill it. It sets the rest of the way in the fridge.

I'm not expert at this, as I've only made them several times. But I bake them in a water bath about 35 min. at 350f. the top is set but the custard is still jiggely when taken from the oven, but will set up as it chills in the refrigerator. I leave them at least 4 hours before serving.

kadesma:)

Mine is having some trouble too. When I took them out of the oven after about 35 mins at 300, they were still very liquidy. As they sat cooling on the counter, nothing much happened. When they got to about room temperature, I put them in the refrigerator. Now, after about six hours, they have a rather thick "skin" on top that seems to be the consistancy I'm going for, but the under this "skin," it's still a liquid. However, it's a little more the consistancy of the heavy cream. My question is this...As it sets, does it thicken from the top down, or does it thicken all at once?

Sorry so long, but I wanted to give an accurate description. Thanks.

Thickening will occur as the mixture cools. So the mixture will thicken beginning at the exterior and working towards the center.

All of this is assuming the recipe is a good one and that it was cooked enough.

The recipe was:

2 cups heavy cream
4 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Heat cream and sugar in sauce pan, mix yolks and vanilla. Then add cream to yolks and pour through sifter. Split in 4 ramekins in baking dish w/ towel and water. Bake at 300* for 30-35 mins. Cool to room temp, and refrigerate for 3 hrs, or overnight. It's now 6.5 hrs into cooling, and is still liquidy under at the bottom. Is it ok?

All you can do at this point is to wait 'til morning. If it's not set then, there's not much you can do.

Well, C.B., it won't help this time, but next time take your brulees out of the oven at 170 -175 F. (if you're using dishes deep enough for the probe)

Well, the brulee's didn't work out this morning. They tasted fine, but they didn't set. When I woke up, I went to check on them and they were just liquid. So, I dumped 'em and am trying them again. They're in the fridge right now. They seem to be doing a little better as far as consistancy. The recipe I used was the same, it just used a slightly different prep procedure. :crosses fingers:

SUCCESS!!!!!!! Well, I switched to half and half, and added two ramekins, and BOOM!!!!!!! Set Creme Brulee. I was so glad this finally worked out. Next I have to master the art of caramelizing the sugar on top of the custard.

I've heard from a lot people that a regular torch is just as good as the professional bruleeing torches and its actually cheaper

TheClassic said:
The recipe was:

2 cups heavy cream
4 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Heat cream and sugar in sauce pan, mix yolks and vanilla. Then add cream to yolks and pour through sifter. Split in 4 ramekins in baking dish w/ towel and water. Bake at 300* for 30-35 mins. Cool to room temp, and refrigerate for 3 hrs, or overnight. It's now 6.5 hrs into cooling, and is still liquidy under at the bottom. Is it ok?

Lose the vanilla extract and get yourself a real live bonafide vanilla bean! ;)

By the way, Target has a nice little Creme Brulee "kit" - comes with 4 ramekins and a butane torch that works nicely!

I think they aren't done (duh!--and have now read the rest of the thread).
It could be your oven. Sometimes timing isn't the end result--test it by jiggling, or the temp with a probe. Are you using a water bath? We cooked our creme brulee in a Johnson & Wales class on a cookie sheet with water (towel to keep them from sliding around). The chef said the steam from the water was the more important part, rather than having the water come half way up the side of the cooking dish.
I have a plumber's torch--$12 at HOme Depot. Got a little boutiquey torch for Christmas. Now to make some creme brulee! Having guests for dinner tonight for a bistro lamb dinner. That might just be the ticket!! I even have half and half.
Oh, I have also read a tip by a chef/cooking instructor that doing the torching in several applications rather than just one willgive a nicer thicker crunchier crust.

Last edited:
:) Are you starting with hot water in your water bath if you are using cold that may be the problem.It has to be hot.

If you are interested i can get the creme brulee recipe we use at work, it's pretty much TNT. I'll post it here for anyone who is interested, should be Friday night sometime, since that's when I work next.

Off the top of my head, I think it something like this:

16 egg yolks
5 eggs
2c sugar
2qt. cream
2qt. milk
6 t or 6T of vanilla

Bake for about 35-50 minutes at 325, in a water bath that is about 80% covered with a sheet pan. Start with lukewarm water.

Scald your cream. Right before its about to boil, add your sugar and vanilla to your eggs. Slowly add in about 1/4 of the cream, whipping constantly and quickly. This tempers your eggs. Add your egg mix back into the cream pot, whisking constantly and quickly until combined. Strain.

Pour immediately into 11 or 12 large-ish ramekins. Add water to your bath and place the ramekins into it. Place that into the preheated oven, and cover about 80% with a sheet tray.

The cooking time varies no matter which brulee recipe you make, it has to do with the way the eggs are tempered, and how much moisture the cream lost when scalded.

Don't make this until I get you the actual recipe please, this is just a temporary reference point!

Back
Top Bottom