CROSTATA DELLA NONNA
Grandmotherīs Pie Tart
Written by: Margaux Cintrano
My paternal Grandmother Margherite, was born and raised in Milan, Italia. In 1920, bravely she crossed the Atlantic, with 3 little boys, a set of male twins, one of them, my dad and a younger Little Rascal, arriving in the Port of Ellis Island, New York City. My Grandmom left me volumes of handwritten recipes in Italian, and the books and books, of recipes, all originating from her Grandmothers, Mother in Law and her Mother, all who I had never met and all who had died quite young by todayīs standards.
Here is her Crostata della Nonna ... From her Grandmother on her maternal side.
2 cups all purpose flour
1/8 cup sugar
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp salt ( scant tsp. )
1/2 cup + 2 tblps ( 1 1/4 unsalted butter ) diced
2 large egg yolks
1 large whole egg
1 cup of sugarless cherry preserves ( I use cherry ) Peach or Apricot are also suggested.
1. preheat oven 350 farenheit
2. blend the flour, sugar, zest, and salt in a food processor for 10 seconds
3. add butter, process until a coarse meal forms
4. add yolks and egg and process until moist clumps form
5. transfer dough to work surface
6. divide the dough into 2 pieces, one slightly larger than the other
7. press larger of the two, evenly onto bottom of pie pan and half way upsides of a 9 inch diameter tart pan, and this pan should have removable bottom.
8. spread 1 cup cherry preserves in crust
9. cut remaining dough in 12 pieces and roll rope shapes between hands and work surface into pencil thin ropes
10. arrange the ropes in opposite direction, spacing evenly and forming a lattice pattern and then press ends to seal at crustīs edge and trim
11. bake tart until crust is golden and pierce with toothpick if bottom crust bubbles, about 45 to 50 mins.
12. cool tart on rack in pan
13. remove pan sides and lightly sift the powdered sugar
14. once cool, cut into wedges and serve.
Serve with espresso, cappucchino or cordial
Note: the sugar has been decreased by me however, one can use non diet preserves and more sugar should you wish to.