Crustless Milk Tart alla Snip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
Thought I would share my Milk Tart recipe with everyone since I won't be eating it myself anymore. Unless I find a good sugar substitute lol!

This is a very easy to follow recipe and very South African.

1 heaped cup of all purpose flour
1 tsp of baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 eggs separated
60gr of butter softened
1 litre of milk
1 cup of sugar
Cinnamon sugar to top

Cream egg yolks, butter, vanilla, and sugar together till fluffy. Beat egg whites till stiff and fold in gently. Mix flour , baking powder and salt together. Slowly add milk to dry ingredients. Fold in the egg mixture till combined. Spoon into a greased ovenproof dish. Don't fill more than 3/4 since mixture does rise. Bake for about 40 mins at 356 F or until set but wobbly in the middle.
Allow to cool and dust with cinnamon sugar.

The milktart will crack slightly and sink a bit, don't worry this is normal.

Last edited:
Hi Snip 13. Thanks for this recipe! I am about to make my weekly supply of dishes for a friend in need, and milk tart was on my list! Nice to see a fellow South African on this site! (although I don't live there anymore). Why do you need a sugar substitute? Would honey work? Thanks again.

Hi Snip 13. Thanks for this recipe! I am about to make my weekly supply of dishes for a friend in need, and milk tart was on my list! Nice to see a fellow South African on this site! (although I don't live there anymore). Why do you need a sugar substitute? Would honey work? Thanks again.

Hi There :)
Where in SA do you come from?
Hope you enjoy DC and the Melktert!
I can't eat sugar anymore, just found out I'm pre-diabetic. Honey is still a form of sugar so maybe I'll try it with Canderel powder lol!

I've accepted your friends request, let me know if it worked. My PC is full of BS today!

Hi There :)
Where in SA do you come from?
Hope you enjoy DC and the Melktert!
I can't eat sugar anymore, just found out I'm pre-diabetic. Honey is still a form of sugar so maybe I'll try it with Canderel powder lol!

I've accepted your friends request, let me know if it worked. My PC is full of BS today!

You will find honey will riase your blood sugar just as much as sugar. The only remedy, as far as I am concerned, is to decide what you can eat/drink without sugar and just go without. I do not care for sugar substitutes.

Reduce the amount of sugar you eat...bu still enjoy your diet.

You will find honey will riase your blood sugar just as much as sugar. The only remedy, as far as I am concerned, is to decide what you can eat/drink without sugar and just go without. I do not care for sugar substitutes.

I agree and when I feel like a sweet I usually eat fruit. Sweet but not nearly as bad as sugar.

Last edited:

Sound advice.

Artificial sweeteners confuse your body and are really not a good idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong PF, I believe you could have some of that tart once in a while.

Hi Snip - I am from Natal. Grew up just outside of Durban and the lived in the Karkloof for many years. Making the Melktert tomorrow, so will let you know!

Sound advice.

Artificial sweeteners confuse your body and are really not a good idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong PF, I believe you could have some of that tart once in a while.

Yes, I would fix it with 3/4 cup sugar and have a small portion. I could eat it everyday as long I only eat a little. As a matter of fact, I just bought a bag of snack size Mounds bars and tossed them in the freezer for the next time I want chocolate. One of those takes care of chocolate cravings for at least a week. I should be making a milk tart in small servings and putting that in the freezer.

Yes, I would fix it with 3/4 cup sugar and have a small portion. I could eat it everyday as long I only eat a little. As a matter of fact, I just bought a bag of snack size Mounds bars and tossed them in the freezer for the next time I want chocolate. One of those takes care of chocolate cravings for at least a week. I should be making a milk tart in small servings and putting that in the freezer.
The milk tart could be made in our pie makers and cut in 4's as to fruit, people don't realize that a large piece of any fruit is not a good idea while small pieces or small fuits would be fine. Just check you BG's and see where that piece gets you after and hour.Any questions I'll be glad to help if possible.
Kades a diabetic too:)

The milk tart could be made in our pie makers and cut in 4's as to fruit, people don't realize that a large piece of any fruit is not a good idea while small pieces or small fuits would be fine. Just check you BG's and see where that piece gets you after and hour.Any questions I'll be glad to help if possible.
Kades a diabetic too:)

Not too worried about desserts but diabetic friendly recipes for ice pops or cold drinks would be great! It's really hot here lol!

Not too worried about desserts but diabetic friendly recipes for ice pops or cold drinks would be great! It's really hot here lol!
Rosehip or rosehip and hibiscus makes a lovely red tea that is great as iced tea. It has a gentle tartness, but doesn't need any sweetener. It's got lots of vitamin C.

Most cold pops have artificial sweetners, and I'm not against them I just use less than suggested. Although cold drinks with sweetners turn me off So I stick to iced tea or 0 cal drinks. flavored waters are nice I tend to add lemon or lime to teas and sparkling water. I'm wondering how boiling some zest from either lemons,oranges or limes might be then infusing that with some tea bags of choice.
kades
if I think of more I'll let you know

I'm madly in love with Pomegranate pops...I could eat them all day long. I've been thinking about making granita with them.

Back
Top Bottom