"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I would for you.
Why Thank You, Andy!

Old 06-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've never heard of making quiche in a tart pan. Is this just for the sake of argument?

What is your definition of pie? Tart?
A pie is a made of a crust or crusts that either hold or enclose a filling. The filling can be sweet or savory. The crust can be made of a variety of materials such as pastry, cracker or cookie crumbs, mashed potatoes, etc. A pie can have one bottom crust, one top crust or both a top and bottom crust.

A modern tart is a type of pie made in a tart pan with a single bottom crust.

A tart Tatin is a type of pie made in a skillet with a single top crust that is baked the inverted onto a serving dish.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

I'm having the same issues. Although I think mine stems from my gas oven. We're living in our Fifth Wheel and I've never baked in a gas oven before.
Second one in the oven now. We'll see.
I think I did with custard like I used to do with pecan pie... Cook too long because it looked wobbly.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:46 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I think of tart as a loose woman.
True Addie! Haha

"American big-a** fruit and cream pies are the Hummers of the pastry world. Bigger and richer than they have any right to be, and unapologetic about it. Regular American non-steroidal pies are sedans: ample, but not showy; sensible. Tarts are European sports cars: the perfect marriage of form and function delivered in a relatively small, precision package." Pastrychefonline.com

I see a tart as a smaller well built pretty creation with fruit arranged precisely on top and a pie whether it has a top crust or not in a big mound on top in a flaky crust!

I love egg custard pie, it makes me miss my grandparents
Old 06-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanotehu View Post
Hi all,

I love cooking and I'm usually not half bad at it, but when it comes to baking desserts I seem to fail more often than succeed. My latest disaster is a custard pie. I followed a recipe from allrecipes called "Grandma's Egg Custard Pie" which uses 3 eggs and 2.5c scalded milk, and has you cook the pie at 400° for 30-35 minutes. At 30 minutes it was still liquid, and at 40 minutes my pie crust was burning so I pulled it out, hoping it would "set" or some similarly magical mysterious thing would happen that would make it work out. The recipe is rated very highly, so I'm guessing the fault is somewhere in my court...

A top comment said I didn't need to scald the milk, so I didn't. Is that true? Can I add cold milk instead of heating it?
I used 1% milk. The recipe just said "milk", so I used what I have in the fridge. Could that be the problem?
The recipe says to "mix together" the eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla, stirring well. I did that, but I'm wondering if I need to actually use a blender instead? I just whipped it around with a fork for a few minutes.
Does anyone have an idiot-proof recipe that they'd recommend instead?

Thanks for any help!
I always bake the crust blind and add the custard mixture when the crust is cold.

The ratio of eggs to milk might be wrong (I don't know what you mean by 2.5c milk) and full cream milk makes a better flavoured custard (even better if some of the milk is replaced with cream!). Some people use just egg yolks - a useful way of using up yolks when you've made meringues

I don't think the mixing was at fault. I usually just whip with a fork or a hand balloon whisk - which ever is nearest my hand.

Custard tart is home cooking not restaurant show-off. The following is Paul Hollywood's version (don't like him but the recipe sounds OK). It makes quite a lot of individual ones but you could scale down and make a big one. It isn't essential to use warm milk (my grandma who taught me didn't but I do) but it makes things easier and quicker. Be careful that you don't have the milk too hot when you combine it with the eggs or they might scramble.

BBC Food - Recipes - Egg custard tarts

Tags
beginner, custard, other, pie