Custard used in a fruit tart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Does anybody have home made recipe for it? Preferably with out dairy, but that is not the bigest consern. It could be substituted (maybe).

maybe use silken tofu instead? I think creme anglaise is the typical custard used for tarts, but it involves dairy. I can post the recipe if you want.

mudbug said:
maybe use silken tofu instead? I think creme anglaise is the typical custard used for tarts, but it involves dairy. I can post the recipe if you want.

Most recipes that I've seen use a pastry cream (these involve tarts that have the shells already cooked, and the cream is added later). A creme anglaise is more of a sauce. For tarts that call for the custard to be cooked, then you can probably use the recipe from a basic custard pie. I don't know of any non-dairy recipes but there are probably a few floating on the net somewhere.

It's basic pastry cream which is really easy to make, but would be a challenge to make it without dairy. It certainly wouldn't taste the same.

I know you said home-made, but you may have to use a vegan custard power and soy milk.
It's in a book somewhere, but the person wants you to buy the book and on VegWeb it just tells you what page it is on.

I've found it almost as tasty (and quite a bit easier!) to use Instant vanilla flavoured pudding (the jello brand)

Charlie, I've used the cream substitute, I think it was called 'Farm Fresh' in making pastry cream, and it was just fine. Can you use eggs in the recipe? If so, this is the recipe I use for a coconut cream pie, without the coconut.

Cream pie filling

2/3 cup sugar 1 cup milk 1Tbutter
1 ½ T flour 1tsp. vanilla 2 egg yolks

Beat egg yolks lightly and stir in sugar; add milk and butter; beat flour into ¼ cup milk or water to smoothness, and stir into mixture; place in a double boiler and cook over hot water until quite thick.

Pour into a bowl, and let it cool; cover with some Saran wrap to prevent 'skin' forming. Put in a baked pie shell, and add your fruit.

If you can't find the Farm Fresh, try one of the non-dairy creamers in the dairy shelf.

Oh yeah, eggs are not a problem at all, neither is milk, it is better if I can use non-dairy ingredients, but it is more of a special diet issue rather than alergy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom