"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 12-06-2006, 03:34 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Danish fillings??

Anybody else out there making Danish?

I traditionally make them for our Christmas morning breakfast (roughly 3,000 calories over all) but I've only made almond (with marzipan) and cinnamon.

Does anyone else have any favorite fillings to recommend (even if you've just eaten them and not made them yourself) that they'd like to share?

Old 12-06-2006, 04:15 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Me Me Me

OH OH OH....ME ME ME...I have a great chocolate filling!!! I need to go find the recipe but stay tuned because I will post it on here tomorrow...it is the best for danishs that I have ever had...I will post it ASAP tomorrow!

Till next time,
Robert

Old 12-06-2006, 04:36 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguynamedrobert
OH OH OH....ME ME ME...
Okay, Robert, SIT DOWN! Teacher hears you!

Love to have your recipe, thanks! And an even bigger thanks from my two children who will be THRILLED TO BITS to be able to ignore the marzipan ones!!

(If you forget to post, I'll find you and bug you!)
Old 12-06-2006, 06:02 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Ayrton, you can top it with pastry cream and canned apricot. Here is how you do it.

Pastry Cream:
500ml (16 fl oz) milk
1 tsp vanilla
5 egg yolk
125gm (40z) caster sugar
2 tbsps plain flour
2 tbsps cornflour

3x425gm (13-1/2 oz) cans apricots, drained
1 egg, beaten
50gm (1-3/4 oz) flaked almonds
2 tbsps apricot jam

To make pastry cream, in a saucepan, put milk and vanilla and bring to a boil. Whisk the egg yolks with sugar until light. Add sifted flour and cornflour and whisk until well mixed. Remove from heat and pour half the milk into the yolk mixture, whisk well, return to heat and then bring it to a boil for 1 minute after adding balance of the milk, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let it cool.

After shaping the pastry, pipe the cream into the centre of each square and top with two apricot halves. Brush one corner with beaten egg and draw up that corner and the opposite to one to touch between the apricots. Press firmly in the centre. Prove for half an hour, then brush with egg and sprinkle with almonds. Bake for 20 minutes, cool on wire racks.

To glaze, melt apricot jam with a tablespoon of water and then strain. Brush the tops of apricots with the hot glaze.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:18 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Hey Boufa, thanks! Another very good suggestion, this time one that makes me happy (love fruit-y pastries, and apricot's a favorite). With the pastry cream it sounds particularly rich (no, that's not a complaint!). Probably just with apricot it would be nice as well, wouldn't you think? I'll modify the shaping a bit to fit my customary approach (square folded into a triangle, enclosing the filling) unless you think having the cream open to the oven heat would be particularly beneficial in this case??
Old 12-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #6
Executive Chef

cream cheese with a beaten egg yolk and a bit of sugar.

chopped dried fruit and nuts

chocolate chips, or cinnamon chips, or vanilla chips.

fruit preserves.

I love making danish. I usually make bear claw shapes or pockets.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Thanks VeraBlue -- all ideas sound yummy, even if some of those ingredients I can't get ahold of.

Tell me, a traditional cheese danish has what in it? I recall a drier texture than cream cheese alone would provide, but it has been years since I tried any danish other than my own (they don't exist here).
Old 12-06-2006, 08:41 AM   #8
Executive Chef

A drier cheese would probably be strained ricotta cheese.

What can't you get? If you want something, and I can get it I'd be happy to send it to you.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
A drier cheese would probably be strained ricotta cheese.

What can't you get? If you want something, and I can get it I'd be happy to send it to you.
Ah yes, ricotta, which I can get. A mixture might be nice?

Thank you for offering to send me ingredients! Nicest offer I've had all day by far! What I couldn't get ahold of is the various chips (chocolate chips sometimes) but those are probably the easiest to substitute for so I won't put you to the trouble.

My most hankered-after ingredient for baking is pecans which at one point, briefly, we could get. I gather they just puzzled the Greeks, looking, as they do, somewhat like an elongated walnut. Pity none of the local chefs went out of their way to work with them and encourage people since they just faded out of the market. However! The good news is that just this last week I found a small bag of raw pecans being offered in a small, local specialty store. Yes, at a CRIMINAL price, but hey, once a year?!

Thanks again Vera!
Old 12-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Why not order what you need online? I know the chips can be had through Amazon.com and I'm sure there are at least a hundred pecan companies that will ship their stuff.

The offer will stand should you change your mind.

Tags
None