Danish fillings??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XeniA

Sous Chef
Anybody else out there making Danish?

I traditionally make them for our Christmas morning breakfast (roughly 3,000 calories over all) but I've only made almond (with marzipan) and cinnamon.

Does anyone else have any favorite fillings to recommend (even if you've just eaten them and not made them yourself) that they'd like to share?

Me Me Me

OH OH OH....ME ME ME...I have a great chocolate filling!!! I need to go find the recipe but stay tuned because I will post it on here tomorrow...it is the best for danishs that I have ever had...I will post it ASAP tomorrow!

Till next time,
Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
aguynamedrobert said:
OH OH OH....ME ME ME...

:ROFLMAO: Okay, Robert, SIT DOWN! Teacher hears you!

Love to have your recipe, thanks! And an even bigger thanks from my two children who will be THRILLED TO BITS to be able to ignore the marzipan ones!!

(If you forget to post, I'll find you and bug you!)

Ayrton, you can top it with pastry cream and canned apricot. Here is how you do it.

Pastry Cream:
500ml (16 fl oz) milk
1 tsp vanilla
5 egg yolk
125gm (40z) caster sugar
2 tbsps plain flour
2 tbsps cornflour

3x425gm (13-1/2 oz) cans apricots, drained
1 egg, beaten
50gm (1-3/4 oz) flaked almonds
2 tbsps apricot jam

To make pastry cream, in a saucepan, put milk and vanilla and bring to a boil. Whisk the egg yolks with sugar until light. Add sifted flour and cornflour and whisk until well mixed. Remove from heat and pour half the milk into the yolk mixture, whisk well, return to heat and then bring it to a boil for 1 minute after adding balance of the milk, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let it cool.

After shaping the pastry, pipe the cream into the centre of each square and top with two apricot halves. Brush one corner with beaten egg and draw up that corner and the opposite to one to touch between the apricots. Press firmly in the centre. Prove for half an hour, then brush with egg and sprinkle with almonds. Bake for 20 minutes, cool on wire racks.

To glaze, melt apricot jam with a tablespoon of water and then strain. Brush the tops of apricots with the hot glaze.

Hey Boufa, thanks! Another very good suggestion, this time one that makes me happy (love fruit-y pastries, and apricot's a favorite). With the pastry cream it sounds particularly rich (no, that's not a complaint!). Probably just with apricot it would be nice as well, wouldn't you think? I'll modify the shaping a bit to fit my customary approach (square folded into a triangle, enclosing the filling) unless you think having the cream open to the oven heat would be particularly beneficial in this case??

cream cheese with a beaten egg yolk and a bit of sugar.

chopped dried fruit and nuts

chocolate chips, or cinnamon chips, or vanilla chips.

fruit preserves.

I love making danish. I usually make bear claw shapes or pockets.

Thanks VeraBlue -- all ideas sound yummy, even if some of those ingredients I can't get ahold of.

Tell me, a traditional cheese danish has what in it? I recall a drier texture than cream cheese alone would provide, but it has been years since I tried any danish other than my own (they don't exist here).

A drier cheese would probably be strained ricotta cheese.

What can't you get? If you want something, and I can get it I'd be happy to send it to you.

VeraBlue said:
A drier cheese would probably be strained ricotta cheese.

What can't you get? If you want something, and I can get it I'd be happy to send it to you.
Ah yes, ricotta, which I can get. A mixture might be nice?

Thank you for offering to send me ingredients! Nicest offer I've had all day by far! What I couldn't get ahold of is the various chips (chocolate chips sometimes) but those are probably the easiest to substitute for so I won't put you to the trouble.

My most hankered-after ingredient for baking is pecans which at one point, briefly, we could get. I gather they just puzzled the Greeks, looking, as they do, somewhat like an elongated walnut. Pity none of the local chefs went out of their way to work with them and encourage people since they just faded out of the market. However! The good news is that just this last week I found a small bag of raw pecans being offered in a small, local specialty store. Yes, at a CRIMINAL price, but hey, once a year?!

Thanks again Vera!

Why not order what you need online? I know the chips can be had through Amazon.com and I'm sure there are at least a hundred pecan companies that will ship their stuff.

The offer will stand should you change your mind.

VeraBlue said:
Why not order what you need online? I know the chips can be had through Amazon.com and I'm sure there are at least a hundred pecan companies that will ship their stuff.

The offer will stand should you change your mind.

Again, thank you!

I order what I can't source locally, but from the U.S. it's not only expensive postage-wise, but I risk customs fees being levied and those can double the cost. Ordering from within the E.U. at least I don't have to worry about customs but, oddly enough, I haven't found a mailorder source for pecans here. Amazing how much they're missed!

Ayrton said:
Hey Boufa, thanks! Another very good suggestion, this time one that makes me happy (love fruit-y pastries, and apricot's a favorite). With the pastry cream it sounds particularly rich (no, that's not a complaint!). Probably just with apricot it would be nice as well, wouldn't you think? I'll modify the shaping a bit to fit my customary approach (square folded into a triangle, enclosing the filling) unless you think having the cream open to the oven heat would be particularly beneficial in this case??

Ayrton, I have not tried this variation, in fact even though I love Danish pastries (you and I know it's almost impossible to buy them here from the Zaharoplasteio), I do not seem able to find time to do it at all. This recipe is pretty reliable and I think you should be adventurous and try this method. Baking the cream covered with apricots for 20 minutes in my humble opinion will not make it runny. Give it a try and let me know how they turn out, that is, if I have not beaten you to it!

Chocolate Bear claw filling

Sugar 4 oz
Cookie crumbs(oreo) 12 oz.
Eggs 1 oz.
butter, Melted 1.25 oz.
Vanilla .25 oz.
Water (as needed to get a certain viscosity)

1)mix sugar and cookie crumbs
2)add eggs butter and vanilla
3)water as needed

Fill a bear claw with this filling and you will never stop eating...

Robert
www.chocolateguild.com

Corazon, that looks just brilliant, love the shape. I wish I could get fresh berries, but will modify as best I can.

Robert, I'm sure your recipe is yummy as well, but Oreo's are a no-go!

Thanks again everybody!

Well ive never made it, only tasted. Been quite a while since i had it, but i as far i remember, the danish was filled with pecans and thickend maple syrup, it was almost a sort of jam, it also had chopped pecans on top and a maple glaze, was verrrry nice, not too sweet either! :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom