dessert crepes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masteraznchefjr

Sous Chef
After much experimenting i came up with a recipie for dessert crepes

1 Cup of Flour
3 Eggs
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 Tablespoon of butter like 1 inch
3 Tablespoon of sugar
1 1/4 cup milk 2% is fine
1/4 cup of heavy cream

Sift the flour salt and sugar and mix together
Beat the eggs in another bowl Then slowly beat in the mixture of milk and heavy cream
Slowly add in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir as your adding. Then mix
Melt the butter and add into the mixture and mix rapidly
Let it sit for 1 hour
Ready to cook. Use no oil to cook the crepes

The ideal dessert crêpe has a lacelike appearance to it. This look can usually be imparted to the crêpe only when it has been cooked in a black-steel pan. (I prefer to use a pan that measures 5½ inches in bottom diameter.) It is unlikely that this textured appearance would be achieved when making crêpes in a nonstick frypan.

The most important technical maneuver in preparing these thin cakes is in the action of the wrist: The heated steel pan is held in one hand, tilted downward slightly, and using a 1-ounce ladle, the batter is poured into the pan toward the top. Then, with a quick figure-8 motion – this is when the wrist action is crucial – the batter is distributed evenly & thinly over the bottom surface of the pan. The crêpe is turned just when the edges begin to turn color. A nonstick pan is not as suitable to this classic technique for producing such light crêpes; they will be satisfactory, but not absolutely ideal.

The basic batter I use comprises:

2 eggs
1 cup sifted flour
2 tsp superfine sugar
pinch of salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
1¼ cups of milk (rather than cream which would overly thicken the batter)
some clarified butter (to brush the steel pan if it has not been well seasoned)

After whisking briefly, the batter should be strained through a fine-meshed seive, pressing any solid through with a rubber spatula. If deemed necessary, it can be diluted with a little water. It’s beneficial to let the batter rest for about 20 minutes before cooking.

Incidentally, one of my favorite ways to serve dessert crêpes is with a fresh peach, wild blueberry, and ricotta filling sweetened with crystalline fructose.

To make a sturdier batter for savory crêpes – to hold, for example, chicken or ratatouille fillings – I generally use ingredient proportions such as:

½ cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
4 eggs
2 ounces clarified butter

I keep this batter chilled for several hours.

wow, thanks konditor and master~jr.
that was a great explanation konditor. i'm gonna try it some sunday morning. my mother used to make norwegian pancakes when i was a kid, which were actually just filled crepes. but i remember she always did the wrist thing. she had a real gift for making them thin and light.
we would fill them with jams or preserves, or fruit and whipped creme, or the real nowegian way she used to say was butter and sugar or honey.

Back
Top Bottom