Different cooking times/temps for Pie/Crusts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guyarcher

Assistant Cook
Hello.

So, I'm entering the foray of pies. I've played around with a few pies that used ready made crusts but now I'd like to actually bake a particular pie.

Here's my issue. The recipe calls for a 9 inch, deep dish unbaked pie crust. So I bought a boxed (I think Betty Crocker) crust to make and baked with the pie. However, the time and temperature for the crust are different than for the pie itself (unless it's a two crust pie, then directions say bake with the pie directions). The pie I'm making is open-faced/no top crust so that doesn't really apply. So I'm at a little bit of a loss on how this situation typically is resolved.

Hoping that someone can give me some tips to get me in the right direction. I figure that most of you make your own crusts (I'll get there one day), but someone has to have run into this before with boxed crust mix.

Do you mean the amount of time to bake the crust, according to the box? If that is the case, I think they mean for a blind baked (empty) pie crust.

What kind of pie are you making? It might help us help you.

And welcome to Discuss Cooking.

Thank you.

Well, I'm making a butterscotch pecan pie. I don't have the recipe in front of me to give the exact cooking times and cooking temperatures unfortunately. I just noticed the instructions for the crust mix with temp and time were different than what the pie recipe called for when it came to cooking (and the recipe called for an unbaked crust).

A woman here at work says that when she hits that, she'll throw the crust in by itself for a little bit at first if it requires more time than the pie or she'll freeze the crust and then throw it in if it takes less time than the pie.

Welcome to DC. When I make sugar pie/peach cream pie/buttermilk pie, I start the pie at 400 for 10 minutes and then drop the temp to 350 for 30-50 minutes (depending on the type of pie).

Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions. I'll give that a shot after work. If it doesn't work out, I'll come back with more accurate info. Thanks for helping!

A box pie crust is all your ingreds pre measured out. I hope it said to add Ice water or very cold water to mix. Does it say make the dough into a fairly uniform dough, wrap in plastic wrap and chill before rolling out? That usually makes it easier to roll out.

Pre heat the oven 400 is a good temp. Then lower temp for the remainder. I would check with a knife test near the center at 30 or 35 minutes to see if it comes nearly clean. It may, depending on the recipe be a little bit jiggly and will firm up more as it cools.

The directions on the pie box are just for pre-baking (blind baking) the crust. If your pie recipe calls for an unbaked crust then the time and temp has been adjusted for the combination of pie filling and pie crust. No worries and welcome to DC.

I am no baker, so I am a little bit confused here. If you buying the crust, what else is there to the pie making? YOu put the filling in and bake? Isn't it?

I am no baker, so I am a little bit confused here. If you buying the crust, what else is there to the pie making? YOu put the filling in and bake? Isn't it?

No Charlie. He bought a box of pie crust 'mix.' It is flour, shortening, and salt. He has to add the ice water, and roll the crust out. Then put it in the pie plate. Then he adds the filling. He didn't buy a ready made pie crust like a Pillsbury pie crust. I understand your confusion if you are not a baker. :angel:

No Charlie. He bought a box of pie crust 'mix.' It is flour, shortening, and salt. He has to add the ice water, and roll the crust out. Then put it in the pie plate. Then he adds the filling. He didn't buy a ready made pie crust like a Pillsbury pie crust. I understand your confusion if you are not a baker. :angel:

Aha, thank you Addie, now I got it.

Back
Top Bottom